PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the Promise Land - Back to Vegas in April...

sucka
01-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Well, my wife is having our first kid in July and I 'got permission' to take a farewell trip to Vegas - at least for a couple years, I'd guess - in April. I'm bringing a good friend and fellow HE player with me and since we are traveling solo (eg; no wives) we plan to camp out in the poker rooms for 4 days and 3 nights. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I've missed hooking up with any fellow 2+2's my previous 2 trips to Vegas this year. I almost caught Majorkong our last trip but he was leaving the day we got in. Is there going to be anyone in town on April 3rd - 5th (thursday through saturday) that might be interested in hooking up at some point for some friendly poker action? My favorite place to play is the Mirage, although I'd like to play at the Orleans a little as I've never played there before. Their site says they have a $4-8 game with a 1/2 kill which sounds kind of fun. I'm definitely taking my friend to play a little down at the Monte Carlo and based on Clark's and Dynasty's posts it sounds like they have been playing the Stardust a little which is in close proximity to where we are staying. That might be worth checking out as well.

At any rate, looking forward to getting back. We are getting round trip airfare from Austin (non-stop) for a little more than $200 and staying at the Westward Ho for $18 a night each. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Now, Westward Ho definitely isn't the nicest joint on the strip but when you plan on being at the tables for 12 hours a day all we need is a clean bed and a shower and for $18 a day that's a helluva deal. If anyone has any better suggestions - I'm all ears, although I defy anyone to find a rate cheaper than that. ($36 on thurs and $46 on fri-sat).

Anyway, I'll repost a few days before we head out but was curious if anyone already had plans - if so, let's hook up.

Dynasty
01-20-2003, 12:40 AM
I might actually be in Massachusetts at that time. But, if I'm in Vegas, I'll definitely meet up. We can arrange a meeting though private messages in late March. I'm sure Clarkmeister will too if he's not busy.

balt999
01-20-2003, 09:40 AM
I usually like to keep my identity secret...although you can read my profile to know what I'll usually wear when I'm playing poker...And I'm not big on introducing myself, because I'm usually quiet and very reserved when I play...Hell, I've seen Dynasty about 10 times (played with him once), and have yet to introduce myself...nothing personal Dynasty /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

drewjustdrew
01-20-2003, 03:05 PM
I would consider transportation costs in your rate. If you are taking cabs to the Orleans, or Mirage/Bellagio, they could amount to $20 extra per day. If you are staying near where you are playing, you can pay a little more. If you take the bus, which is kinda slow, it will cost $2 one way per person. Also likely you would return to your hotel after the busses stop running.

sucka
01-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Agreed. The $$ part isn't really that much of an issue. Last time we were there we stayed at the Mirage, but we had our wives with us. We enjoy playing at the Mirage and will most likely spend most of our time there - however the Mirage rates are in the $180 range and even if you factor in travel it's still way more expensive to stay where we are going to be spending most of our time playing.

I dunno at $18 a night per person I think we could take a limo twice a day without even coming close to any other resorts prices.

It's difficult to ever put an exact price on what your additional expenses are going to be in Vegas because you never know where you will end up or how you are going to end up there. I would imagine, especially if the weather is nice, we will walk back and forth at least once just to get some excerise in.

Like I said though, the $$ really isn't an issue - we are just trying to find a cheap place to stay as it's really not something thats high on our priority list. A clean room with a hot shower and a couple of beds is all we need. The cheaper the better.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any buffet/restaraunt suggestions for that area of the strip? I think there's a Mickey D's pretty close by. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Homer
01-20-2003, 04:07 PM
I've heard good things about the Circus^2 buffet, and the Westward Ho Megadog.....

btw, were you the one who told me about FatBurger? If so, much appreciated. It was good eatin'!

-- Homer

sucka
01-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Nope, but I've heard about it and was going to eat there last time but we just didn't get down that way. One cabbie recommended this great burger joint that's right across the street from the Hard Rock Hotel. I can't remember the name for the life of me but the burgers were HUGE (they bring them out with a steak knife in em) and plenty good. I'd highly recommend that place - you can't miss it if you just head to the Hard Rock.

We will probably hit Fat Burger this time around though - especially if we end up playing at the Monte Carlo. I think the Fat Burger is across the street from there.

balt999
01-20-2003, 06:46 PM
Fatburgers are good, but if you want an outstanding hamberger...try In and Out...there's one just off the Tropicana exit on I 15....Had many of those after playing at the Orleans..

Dynasty
01-20-2003, 08:06 PM
The name of that hamburger place is Hamburger Mary's on Harmon Ave.

Cooling Heels
01-20-2003, 09:55 PM
It's hard to beat the rates for the Ho's back section
rooms, but there are are few places that come close
for players who don't mind walking 10 minutes to the
cardroom. Bourbon Street is about a 10 minute walk
to the Bellagio, 15 minutes to the Mirage. The place
is cheap and rarely fills up. Barbary Coast is even
closer, but they're often full.

For Monte Carlo access, both the Trop and San Remo
are 10 to 15 minute walks. The Monte carlo also has
a $49 poker room rate during the week, but it shoots
up on weekends.

On the other hand, staying at the Ho means easy access
to the bar at Slot's of Fun, where one will the find
the most colorful characters outside of downtown.

happy trails

jacobl
01-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Westward Ho's apartment rooms are great for large groups of people. Also, some people like having their car nearby for the fast gettaways (Westward Ho has no tower, it's a huge lot of two story buildings, much like the Villa rooms at Circus Circus) I regularly stay there when coming back from the lake and welcome the three beds for around $90 a night. I have yet to stay in a regular room there, but I imagine the conditions are similar. The rooms are clean and a bed is a bed. Never had any problems with noise or anything there. Anyway, who wants to sleep in their car EVERY time they go to Vegas. . .

PokerBabe(aka)
01-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Hi sucka- Congrats on the baby to be! This Babe will be in town during your visit, and I'd love to say hi. Hell, I'll even buy you lunch or breakfast, so do look me up. LGPG, Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

sucka
01-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Wow - better not tell my wife about this one! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks Babe - I'll definitely do it. I'm pretty sure I saw you when we were at the Mirage earlier this year but I wasn't 100% positive and didn't want to approach someone and ask if they were "Pokerbabe".

We'll be playing a ton at the Mirage those days so hopefully we can meet up and visit - it would be my pleasure.