PDA

View Full Version : Deleting stealth strings

bambi
06-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Anyone know how do delete a stealth string, i got the about:blank virus a while ago, i have mmanaged to keep it under control, but the stealth string suppodt.txt still exists, i have tried most programs to try and get rid of it but nothing can delete it.

I am running Windows ME, the hijjacker really doesnt do much except sometimes i think it might slow my internet down, i can post a few logs of HJT and startdreck if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated

IHateATMFees
06-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Don't know a direct solution to your problem off the top of my head, but I do have an indirect solution: get rid of Windows ME and get XP. Windows ME is the worst operating system MS has ever put out. It's buggy as hell, and i'm going to assume way more at risk for things like this. You should be able to find the XP home upgrade for under $100. If you do upgrade, and you are running 128 mb RAM, go up to at least 256, if not 512 as well, XP will thank you.

Nepa
06-19-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but the stealth string suppodt.txt

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you try booting up in MS-DOS mode and then you should be able to delete it.

bambi
06-19-2005, 10:42 PM
what would the commands be, sorry i am hopeless with stuff,

Wake up CALL
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Download CWShredder, it will eliminate about.blank and many other homepage hijackers. It is freeware and you can find it here:

CWShredder (http://www.majorgeeks.com/CWShredder_d3019.html)

bambi
06-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Tried the CWShredder and it didnt fix, stealth string still there

Blarg
06-20-2005, 07:11 PM
I upgraded Windows ME to XP on a computer and it messed some things up. XP doesn't support even some equipment that was brand new at the time XP came out. It won't use the old drivers and has no new drivers of its own. I had this problem with Creative's DVD/hardware DVD card. The manufacturer didn't bother writing an updated driver, either. So basically the drive turned into junk.

If you're on ME, I wouldn't sink any more money, hardware or software wise, into that machine. Time to move on.

BluffTHIS!
06-20-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're on ME, I wouldn't sink any more money, hardware or software wise, into that machine. Time to move on.

[/ QUOTE ]