PDA

View Full Version : Table selection

stokken
06-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Is there a situation where u would choose to leave a table `cause it was to terrible a mix of lp and lag??
Under normal condition one preferes a couple lp`s and a lag or two.
Today I played 600 hands to break even. Continuously there were 5-6 cold callers, sometimes 7 to any raise,
( the preflopp game was awfull)
I played my thightest game, the lp`s called from any position and the lags raised from any position, had a feeling the only hand not played was 2-7os unless in a blind. Just get up and leave or will there be a profit long run. Ie will the number of hands one can safely expect to come trough have positiv expectation.There were( and not that I think the opposition thought of it) pot odds to any draw after flopp most of the time.
Is there some mathematical evidence to a situation beiing unprofitable regardless of skill??

jgorham
06-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Hugely profitable long run.

aK13
06-18-2005, 10:19 PM
You should be loosening up and playing more speculative hands (suited connectors, PP, Axs) against such loose players. They will pay you off when you hit a big hand. These tables are the most profitable.

mlb3zr
06-18-2005, 11:03 PM
these are the tables where you should stay until you fall asleep playing. don't play your tight game here, play stuff like suited connectors much earlier than usual because as you say, you've got the odds to draw on almost every flop. and keep in mind you can't win every session.

RiverStyx
06-18-2005, 11:08 PM
yes, very profitable.

But lots of variance. Huge winning sessions and big losses when cards run bad.

imported_AlphaGun
06-18-2005, 11:31 PM
There is only mathematical evidence to show that if your opponents are making a ton of mistakes and you are not then you are going to profit hugely in the long run.

These are the tables we always want to find. Very profitable in the long run. The variance can suck sometimes but you will learn to love these tables.

mtdoak
06-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Shoot...where are these tables you speak of?? These are gold mines with higher variance than normal, but much much more profitable in the long haul.

CallMeIshmael
06-19-2005, 01:09 AM
I'd wear a diper before I'd be willing to take a pee break from that table.

No way in hell I leave it until it breaks, or I cant keep my eyes open.

mlb3zr
06-19-2005, 01:17 AM
lmao!

Biloxi
06-19-2005, 02:14 AM
you described what i go thru everyday. Its a pain in the A$$.
I frequently lose AQs to 68o. Or KK to J4 etc..
Near impossible to force players out so every hand is like a race. You just have to hope they dont outdraw you (which happens Very often) and dont reraise much without the nuts or you just throw money away.
It seems like the worst players have the best luck probably bcuz of all the hands they play. just hope your one or two big pots make up for all the small ones they rob

damaniac
06-19-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you described what i go thru everyday. Its a pain in the A$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could be forced to endure the terrible tragedy of having to play at tables like that every day. Maybe if you played higher stakes people would fold to your raises more.

sweetjazz
06-19-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, but it's important to emphasize that this advice applies to online games only. Soiling yourself in a live game in order to save a hand or two will likely cause the table to break sooner than you'd like.

If one has a significant other, then a decision is sometimes necessary as to whether to soil oneself in front of the partner in order to get a few more hands in. Of course, we all know which choice is more +EV. However, you'll have to spend time explaining this to your partner afterwards (preferably after you have cleaned yourself up).

sk_man
06-19-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there some mathematical evidence to a situation beiing unprofitable regardless of skill??

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not really a mathematical reason for any table to be unprofitable. You should be able to sit down and any table, play perfect game theory poker and, if you stay long enough, you'll come out even. It's kind of pointless because you'll never make any money either, but a table isn't theoretically profitable or unprofitable. Unless you include the rake. Then all tables are unprofitable.

MisterKing
06-19-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No way in hell I leave it until it breaks, or I cant keep my eyes open.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

To the OP: While your session may not have gone well, realize that all that awful play ended up as (theoretical) profit for you. The fact that you didn't realize that profit this time isn't a big deal if you can find the same type of game day after day... you will eventually rake in some hefty wins. For more on the subject, you might want to check out the "Start enjoying loose games" section in Ed Miller's SSH. It took me a little while to come around, but his suggestions on playing things some might consider trashy (Kxs in LP after many loose limpers) really do help you squeeze the most out of these low stakes donkfests.

MisterKing
06-19-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, but it's important to emphasize that this advice applies to online games only. Soiling yourself in a live game in order to save a hand or two will likely cause the table to break sooner than you'd like.

If one has a significant other, then a decision is sometimes necessary as to whether to soil oneself in front of the partner in order to get a few more hands in. Of course, we all know which choice is more +EV. However, you'll have to spend time explaining this to your partner afterwards (preferably after you have cleaned yourself up).

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe soiling ones' self is MANDATORY in [censored]'n'go tourneys...

dealer_toe
06-19-2005, 03:41 AM
I wouldnt leave the table, but Malmuth wrote about a game being "too good" in Poker essays. He went over how at a certain point of "game goodness" your expectation can't go up much, and if anything it goes lower. Either its 3am and I am totally misunderstanding him, or yea, its the answer to your question.