PDA

View Full Version : the worst play ever?

patrick dicaprio
01-19-2003, 07:50 PM
5-10 game at the Taj. The player in question rolled over the table, winning about $700 in about three hours. He made many horrible plays, two of which i officially nominate as the worst ever.

1. Three way pot on fifth street. player in question checks. next player bets with what is likely trip queens. i have three kings, two in the pocket and caught a third on fifth. I raise, player calls with 245. sixth street both check to me I bet both call. on the river player checks q's chcek i bet both call. player in question shows down a wheel, saying "thank god i caugh that three on the river." other player had three queens.

2.second hand, possibly even worse. heads up, me and him. I have pocket seven, with a jack in the door. on fifth street he catches an Ace and bets. i caugh the third seven and raise. he calls.

sixth street he bets after a blank. i raise he calls. on the river he bets, i raise he calls and shows down a pair of aces.

at least i won one hand. but ill tell you i hate this damn game! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Pat

Dynasty
01-19-2003, 09:14 PM
I observed this sequence in a Monte Carlo 1-5 game.

On the river, the two boards were:

(x,x)Kc,Kd,Kh,Ks,(x)
(x,x)?,?,?,?(x)

The quad Kings bet the max $5. His opponent called. Quad Kings were good.

Mike Gallo
01-19-2003, 09:59 PM
I have seen some boneheaded moves lately, however that hand Dynasty presented takes the cake.

It makes me wonder if these players have any idea.

MRBAA
01-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Pat, I'm sure this player was clueless, but the play of the first hand you presented makes me wonder if he didn't make his small straight on fifth, and was just coffeehousing with his remark about catching a gut card on the river.

Andy B
01-19-2003, 11:30 PM
I thought that in Vegas, if you call and can't beat the other guy's board, you get your bet back. I think it's an obnoxious rule, but maybe the other guy just called so that he could see opponent's hole cards.

Dynasty
01-20-2003, 12:32 AM
That's not a Vegas rule and I didn't notice the caller getting his bet back. Nor did I have to give back a bet in this hand.

Just yesterday, I checkraised 6th street in a hi-lo game with a pair of 6's on my board (and a four flush as back up). I thought the bettor had a made low and I was trying to drive out a third player so that my one pair had a chance of winning half the pot. Unfortunately, the third player called two bets cold as did the initial bettor.

On the river, I was first to act with my open pair of 6's which was all I had. The "third" player folded (I hoped he'd fold a pair). The remaining player who had bet on 6th street called. The player who called had no low and couldn't be my pair of 6's for high. I scooped the pot.

Howard Burroughs
01-20-2003, 04:24 AM
Andy & Dyno,

I have played in Las Vegas cardrooms that have the river refund policy. I never have been crazy about this rule BTW. I do believe that most of the rooms don't have the river refund rule today. But a few still do, I'm pretty sure.

When I was an everyday player at The Regent Las Vegas (from March 2001 - December 2001) they had the river refund rule.

As far as the 4 kings hand. I see this kind of play a lot it seems (well at least more then I should). Whether the room has a refund river policy or not, some people just like to call bets.

Worst play ever alert:

There was a guy a few months back who kept throwing away the winning hand on the river. He would call river bets, have the best hand, show the table and then muck his hand. The table and dealer's kept telling him he was continually mucking the best hand, but he could care less. I've never seen anything like that before. He just did not want to be pushed a pot for some strange reason. I mean why even play?

Best of Luck

H.B.

DoctorK
01-20-2003, 11:46 AM

pokerlover
01-20-2003, 12:10 PM
About 5 years ago in the Sands in NJ I saw someone call trips on the board with 2 pair.

Homer
01-20-2003, 01:32 PM
Maybe it was his buddy who called so that the pot was greater than $20, thus making the quad kings eligible for the high hand jackpot??

-- Homer

Dynasty
01-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Nope. It didn't appear they knew each other. More importantly, there was already $20 in the pot. I checked that on 6th street when the action went bet-call.

ACPlayer
01-20-2003, 10:37 PM
You see terrible plays all the way up. Recently there was a 75/150 game, seven way at the river, bet every street (including double bet on fourth with a paired door card) and a community card at the end. Go figure!

Mikey
01-21-2003, 02:48 PM
playing 3-6 homegame. 8 person

flop is K J 4 rainbow

Opponnnet bets and fish calls
on the turn falls a 2.

Opponnet bets fish calls.

On the river falls an Ace.

Opponnent bets and fish calls.

Opponnet says.....(two pair Kings and Jacks)
Fish turns over his hand and says yeah....i think you got it....until he looks again and he had QT for the nut straight.

KJ was pissed and one guy looks at another guy and says "ohh my god, he didn't even know he had the straight"
the other guy says, "that's because he was looking for the nine"

Oski
01-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Just last night at Commerce, my friend "Bob" made the funniest play I'd ever seen. First of all, after about one hour of play, he becomes a raising/calling station (and doesn't care who knows it). Also, he NEVER protects his hand. So we were about 2 hours into a 4-8 hold-em game, with my buddy on the button. Flop comes, sb bets out, two callers, action to Bob, who raises...table busts out laughing, dealer laughing, onlookers laughing...Bob had no cards, and did not realize it - dealer had taken his cards along with bb's after Bob had called pre-flop, and bb folded. (Bob had them unprotected, inside the circle). Even with the dealer turning red from laughing at him, Bob did not complain about having his hand mucked, he just laughed and ordered a beer.