PDA

View Full Version : New to SNGs, Need Help (a bit long...feel free to skip the intro)

bluewilde
06-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Right then, classes are over and the nightly poker game on my freshman hall has disbanded, leaving me in need of a fix. Finding myself with a pretty open schedule this summer, I'm trying to really put some effort towards improving my poker. All year I've played in a very low-level game with nobody having much skill (including me) or being too thoughtful (I tried to think, but am not sure I succeeded). I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who was interested enough to do a little reading or find this site, but I'm also pretty sure my play was still just as awkward and clueless as everybody else's.

In any case, I've started off playing the $5+1 SNGs at Party, and have worked through about 15 in the past two days: 6 3rd places, 2 4ths, 1 5th, 1 7th, 2 8ths, 2 9ths and 1 1st. In a moment (2 moments actually) of idiocy, I thought I'd try to play the $10+1, (this is where the 2 9ths above are from). So, between those stupid moves and the fact that whenever I placed in the money I made just enough for one more buy-in, I was quickly at the lower range of what I bought in for ($50--too little, I'm sure). So I brilliantly bought in to a $5+1 MTT and finished 18, and then used my last $6.25 for another $5+1 MTT (in frustration) which I managed to win (in confusion). This left me about where I started.

So that's my story thus far, pretty confused and sporadic--seeming to suggest I need some direction/structure. In reviewing hand histories I think it's clear I made some moves way too soon with too weak holdings. Tightening up and being patient are my main immediate goals (and playing more like this was how I managed my two 1sts, including the MTT). Nevertheless, going through all the hands I went out on, there were three where I'm still confused at a very basic level. I've posted them below (all $5+1 SNG).

1) I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG, I go all in (T805) (blinds being at 100 200).

Seat 4 (T1210) raises to 1210, S1 (T3905) folds, S2 (T2080) folds.

Seat 4 shows 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

He catches a 2 and I never catch up. Several hands before I had AK versus the same player who also had pocket 2s. He was down to nothing, moved all-in, and I called. He hit a 2 that time as well (I realize both times I was behind). So, I'm wondering if, in general, I push AQ here. AK was a no-brainer because this guy had so few chips. But, having lost, am I at the point (4BB) where I push AQ UTG? I can survive one more time around the table, do I pass up AQ so that the other short stack might go broke (he is very aggressive, even just short of the money)( he only has 6BB, not much better than me, granted I'll be left with 1SB after this round and he'll still have 4.5BB). So yeah, I'm fundamentally confused about playing on the bubble, this is probably an easy/obvious question.

Wow, I seem to have taken up a lot of space, so I'll save the other two hands for another day. Sorry for being so long, I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer.

frostbrn
06-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey Bro, the link below is the most useful STT 2+2 post I've stumbled upon so far. It is the best place to start. Make sure you have a read of Aleomagus' guide first.

LINK (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=191 8735&Forum=,,,,,,,,All_Forums,,,,,,,,&Words=&Searc hpage=5&Limit=25&Main=1918735&Search=true&where=&N ame=30065&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval =&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1918735)