PDA

View Full Version : PLO8 pf raising out of position

DavidC
06-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Is there any point to this?

--Dave.

DavidC
06-18-2005, 06:52 PM
... if your answer is "sure, if your hand is awesome" then that's fine by me...

I seriously know nothing about this game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

BlueBear
06-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Of course it's worth raising out of position preflop.

1) To thin the field, eg. A2TT. In a tighter game, this is more effective.
2) To build and sweeten the pot, if the game is very loose and nobody respects your raises, good starters are worth raising straight away for value.
3) For image purposes, it works wonders if people think you're maniacal.

gergery
06-19-2005, 05:06 AM
In general, I've found better results when not raising out of position, but there are certain hands I will do so with and and other players certainly do well doing it.

Wintermute
06-19-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

3) For image purposes, it works wonders if people think you're maniacal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most important, but I'd rephrase it. It's not really critical that your opponents see you as crazy, they just need to have a healthy fear of betting into you, and also should not know to fold every time you raise. I'd say a good number to shoot for is PFR of ballpark 10-12%. So you're raising with most A2's, many A3's, AA's and some high card combinations when the situation is right. This way, you're going to get action on all your good raising hands, and weak players will pay you off on the big later-street bets because you're "in the hand too often".

But in general, the image I'd shoot for is to be *dangerous*. Those players are the ones I feel least comfortable playing, anyway. And preflop raise, in any position, is a big component of that image.