PDA

View Full Version : Bet - fold to a raise?

bobhalford
06-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't use the bet - fold to a raise line enough. Being aggressive and not being able to lay down = chip spewage. In this hand, it's hard for me to lay down trips with an opponent who could be on a flush draw, so I checked. Should I have bet and folded to a raise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

mute
06-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Without a read it is difficult to narrow villains hand range, but regardless I'm bet/calling this river close to 100% of the time (if I had a really, really good read, I might bet/fold). You have a monster, checking through is really weak.

The Goober
06-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I second mute, without a read I bet the river and call a raise here. Villian could easily have an 8 with a weak kicker, something like 89 or 78, or any number of garbage hands. I wouldn't like getting check-raised here, but there's much too great of a chance that he's doing it with some sort of 2 pair to fold the river getting 11:1.

The "Bet - fold to a raise" line, IMHO, is more useful when you got a much weaker hand like a medium PP with an overcard on board.

bobhalford
06-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks. Villain showed TT and I was reminded for the nth time why being a winning player at Party 2/4 only means that I'm average. It was a terrible play and I agree that the bet-fold to a raise line doesn't apply to this situation.

toss
06-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Bet folding is terribly weak. Especially against an unknown? You have trips, don't put 'em on a flush draw just like that, he could have two pair, bet/call for value.

ApolloQuiet
06-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Bet, call a raise.

You're not going to make a lot of money in this game if you keep checking through big hands just because there is the possibility of a bigger hand out there. 4 diamonds on the river, maybe I would consider checking it through, not three though.