PDA

View Full Version : Two pair on board vs A high flush

Mike Gallo
01-19-2003, 01:17 PM
I had to make the following decision at a pretty good $10-$20 stud game. The table had 2 players that I knew. 5 other player's were people I had never played with before. Most of the pots got contested multiway. The table had a lot of betting, but not much raising.

After the river card, I had an A K 8 high flush. My opponent had an open 2 pair. He led out on the river. A player between us folded and action to me. I called and my hand was good. My prior actions indicated I had his open two pair beat. I raised on sixth street and he called.

I made the call based on my read of my opponent. He did not appear sophisticated enough to take into consideration that only a better hand would call. He rivered an ace for aces and 9's and 7's.

Howard Burroughs
01-19-2003, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure I understand the decision you had to make. Were you thinking about folding on the river? I don't see how you can fold in this spot. Izmet's Furcoat play you know. I know you didn't fold mind you, but you said you had to make a river decision. What decision? Am I missing something?

Those are sincere questions from me BTW. Not trying to be a smart alec. I'm just trying to see if there's something I'm missing here. Which could well be the case.

Thanks

H.B.

Andy B
01-19-2003, 02:07 PM
I think you have to call the river, and that it isn't much of a decision. If you want to pretend that it is a decision for the benefit of the table, that's up to you. I wouldn't raise two open pair with a flush very often, though.

Michael Davis
01-19-2003, 10:12 PM
A bet with two small pair showing when one is actually holding aces up may very well be correct.

-Mike