PDA

View Full Version : Checking a flush and straight draw?

peterc
06-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm UTG+1, have KQ spades and the flop is J9 spades with a 2 offsuit (3 other players limped preflop). The pot odds are 7 to 1 and I'm first to bet.

The poker software advises me to check! Can there be any justification for this? I'm a beginner so I don't know if it's a crazy program or something I've misunderstood.

silkyslim
06-18-2005, 03:30 PM
you have poker software advising you? Thats f'in weird. I'd bet

atnels
06-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Preflop:

I like a raise wtih KQs regardless of position. If it's reraised behind you and there's only a few players, I just call. If you've got a good multiway pot (>5 players) go ahead and cap it. KQs is a great multiway hand, so take advantage of that.

Just to be clear, you hold K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif and the flop came J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif X/images/graemlins/heart.gif? You have a metric fuckload of outs here. Overcards, all the spades... tens. I don't know what the software wants you to do, but I want to build a pot the size of Christmas here. You will win WAY more than your share against 3 other players.

Jaran
06-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Easiest. Bet. Ever.

-Jaran

PS-burn that software

Kumubou
06-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Your first problem is not raising KQs in that position.

The only way I would check this is if I was 3-bet by the person on my left, then I would be looking to trap everybody for two with a checkraise. If I raise and just get cold-callers, you are obligated to bet this flop. Checking after being the PFR looks really shady, much more so than just betting out.

-K

macdaddy991
06-18-2005, 04:20 PM
I tried out some software and it's advice was very weak tight. Bet out here.

TomBrooks
06-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I would bet unless I was pretty sure someone was going to bet behind me, and preferably the guy on my left so I could trap the field for two.

aK13
06-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Are you using Hold 'em Inspector? If so, you need to configure your own profiles to make it play most effectively, but if you could configure it correctly, you might as well screw the program and play yourself.

peterc
06-18-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm practising on Poker Academy with the default(best) advice. I revisited the records and there were 2 not 3 other 'players' and they called my preflop raise. Is that enough to make a difference? It still seems on the face of it an outstanding flop with about 14 outs. It's normally a pretty smart piece of software (good enough to win at $1/2 level), so that's why it got me wondering.

einbert
06-18-2005, 07:06 PM
It was obviously advising an attempted checkraise /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

peterc
06-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I guess so - said I was a beginner! /images/graemlins/blush.gif