PDA

View Full Version : When to/When to not slowplay flopped sets (22)

ElAnimal
06-18-2005, 01:30 PM
No specific reads yet, but table has been loose so far.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Final Pot: 4 BB

Slowplaying tiny sets (especially with two to a flush on the board) is usually a recipe for disaster. This is standard isn't it? If the flop was a rainbow would you then call the flop bet and raise the turn instead?

bozlax
06-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm going to war on the flop with sets down to 7s, these days. Most people won't give you credit for it, so if they have any kind of hand they're staying in, as will the flush draws, so I want to get my bets in while I'm pretty sure I'm ahead.

toss
06-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I like it. Anyone with a flush draw will come along.

Bodhi
06-18-2005, 01:55 PM
You should almost never slowplay a set. You should only slowplay when the pot is small and your opponents can draw out to only a second best hand. Here someone could be on a live draw, so you should definitely raise.

mute
06-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Though I generally play my sets fast, then I would slowplay here for sure if the flop was rainbow. The pot is small, so getting coldcalls on that flop would be unlikely.

I would be inclined to slowplay here as well, because of the potsize (even weak flush draws might fold), but since you describe the table as loose, raising is fine. Though I would probably just call if the table was somewhat tighter.

crazymoose
06-18-2005, 02:47 PM
With any set I am usually loathe to slowplay, especially if they are going to call anyway. Since you indicated the table is loose that's what I would expect, so I'm ramming and jamming this flop.