PDA

View Full Version : "Almost Live" Poker on FSN tonight (6/18)

Kevmath
06-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Tonight starts FSN's brand new Ultimatebet.net's World Poker Challenge, which consists mainly of 6 people each week who qualified on their site (3 for $5, 3 from Ultimatebet.net). It looks to be a 2 hour show over 6 weeks, with the 5 winners (10k, winner take all) playing in week 6 for $200k, winner take all. Check your local FSN for times in your area, but it looks to air starting 11pm through 1am. Hopefully these shows will have a lot more play than the crap they're passing off as Poker Superstars II.

Kevin...

pokers
06-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Is it today sat June 18.

wat time is it on the eastern border

italianstang
06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: The players on this week's show are owenwengerd, TwistOne, ozhiker, Andrew_postle, KillerDave and eloptic from Ultimatebet.net/.com)
Kevin...

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally we don't have to watch professionals play poker well, we can focus on watching crappy amateurs, but with all the glitter of Fox and probably none of the humor of L@TB.

Go Eliptico! (or whatever name you just said, I forgot)

Kevmath
06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
I'd be watching on FSN New York, it'll be on here at 1am, go to www.foxsports.com (http://www.foxsports.com) for the FSN in your area.

Kevin...

pokers
06-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I WILL BE WATCHING IT TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geormiet
06-18-2005, 09:44 PM
This chip leader is so bad.

pokers
06-18-2005, 11:25 PM
wow and these people play on UB

pokers
06-18-2005, 11:27 PM
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE commenting

paperchamp
06-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Not on in Houston. For some reason we always get the shaft. The NBC heads-up tourney was not on here either.

JackWhite
06-19-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not on in Houston. For some reason we always get the shaft. The NBC heads-up tourney was not on here either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be thankful. This is horrible tv.

pokers
06-19-2005, 12:50 AM
NO its aewesome

i love this tourney

SoftcoreRevolt
06-19-2005, 02:02 AM
I love how many people are seeing the flop.

MeanGreenTT
06-19-2005, 10:39 AM
CRAP tv!!!

I was hoping for better commentary, especially considering the author! They totally f'd up explaining FE...NEVER knew what the blinds were, etc....BAD!

Kashie
06-19-2005, 10:40 AM
I didn't like this show!

Brock Landers
06-19-2005, 12:58 PM
This makes Celebrity Poker on Bravo look like a masterpiece. BY FAR the worst poker show I have ever seen.

pokers
06-19-2005, 01:37 PM
you could tell this was there first time on a live tv poker tourney.

they all played tight. in the first 30 min they only got the blinds..that was the biggest pot.

I will defianetly watch the others!!

AgentBishop
06-19-2005, 03:04 PM
I was watching it and recording it to watch later. I then realized the play was not teaching me anything and the commentary was horrible so I watched Star Trek:TNG instead. Saved my night...lol If I'm bored,desperate, or am curious to what some comments are about I may watch it again. No offense to any players that may post here at 2+2, in which case Go 2+2ers!!!

parkerren
06-20-2005, 09:51 AM
IT WAS HORRIBLE!

Ex
J-club K-spade
STURMS
All-in 14%

A-Heart K-Heart
Wengerd
86%

FLOP
K-Diamond K-Club 10-Diamond
Turn
4-Spade

if I have identified the voices correctly we have the following commentary
Barry Tompkins: So Strums need a king or a ten

John Vorhaus: King won’t happen Kings are all gone.

BT?:Exactly

Now we never saw anyone else with a jack. Having seen 5 of the 6 hands we saw no other Jack yet they never mention needing a Jack. No pointing out that the ten would split the pot or if another 4 would have shown up it would have also split the pot.

The commentary is very important. It can be the key factor needed to help educate about poker. If they can’t accurately tell what is going on, the audience can not learn anything. And it becomes useless to even have it. Since the commentary does not need to be done live, they could have at least gone back and did a voice over to correct the error.

parkerren
06-20-2005, 09:51 AM
On another hand we have all of the five players playing. Yet they show only four of the hands.

5-S 6-S
Klassen 21%

K-S Q-S
Postle 25% (25.3%)

6-H 6-S
Kalthoff 14% (14.4%)

A-D 10-H
Wengerd 24% (24.1%)

The last hand (which they show later after the flop when Klassen has folded)
J-S Q-H
Lane (using the holdem calculator on Cardplayer.com we get it being 15.3% )

They show the Flop
2-H 10-S J-H

Listening to their commentary it sounds like they are not even seeing what Lane has. The reason I suspect this is that the commentators says “ That flop kind of missed everybody. Wengerd got a little piece of it. No straight, no flushes. Postle has an inside straight draw.” This seems like a very strange comment unless they are unaware that Lane made top pair. [Note also that Postle made an open ended straight draw not an inside straight draw. (Unless I am misunderstanding what a inside straight draw is)]
Now if Lane did not show the camera his hand, mentioned it. Say something like “Lane is going make it a 5-way hand, but has yet to reveal his hand to the camera.” Make room so that all the hands can be displayed on the screen. Showing a graphic of the back of a card that has not been shown to the camera and a question mark for the precentage. But when Lane’s hand is shown on our screen, a pause occurs, then they mention what Lane has, as if it was the first time they saw it. I wonder if the commentors were shown everybody’s hand. They at least should have seen everyone’s hand.

puzzlemoney
06-20-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This makes Celebrity Poker on Bravo look like a masterpiece. BY FAR the worst poker show I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you haven't seen Poker Royale on GSN, then. I don't know if all the episodes are like this, but the WPPA championship episode was dreadful.

They shoot the guys in a totally dark studio—to make it look as unlike a poker room as possible, apparently. Robert Williamson's commentary isn't insulting (Kevin Nealon's is), but the pace of the whole thing is stupefying.

They make them play the tournament, then do this horrible game show thing at the end where they make them pick envelopes with cards in them at random, and then award the player and a home viewer prizes based on what they pick out.

The winner got an extra $20,000 or so (which he had to split with the home viewer) for making a pair, but watching him try to look grateful when Kevin Nealon awarded him a year's supply of Pizza Hut "Full House" pizzas was painful...

parkerren
06-20-2005, 01:50 PM
did you notice when they gave the pro tip. They placed a disclaimer on stating that the tip was for entertainment purposes only and that no one should rely on the advice for any reason.

so is this common with poker tips, or did someone at one time sue some show due to the poker tip.
OR could it be that Phil Hellmouth suggested that you could use his top ten hands and make more moeny than you would lose. So with out the disclaimer they would be subject to lawsuit, since such a claim is not going to be true of everyone every tiem.

chaas4747
06-20-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you haven't seen Poker Royale on GSN, then. I don't know if all the episodes are like this, but the WPPA championship episode was dreadful.

They shoot the guys in a totally dark studio—to make it look as unlike a poker room as possible, apparently. Robert Williamson's commentary isn't insulting (Kevin Nealon's is), but the pace of the whole thing is stupefying.

They make them play the tournament, then do this horrible game show thing at the end where they make them pick envelopes with cards in them at random, and then award the player and a home viewer prizes based on what they pick out.

The winner got an extra $20,000 or so (which he had to split with the home viewer) for making a pair, but watching him try to look grateful when Kevin Nealon awarded him a year's supply of Pizza Hut "Full House" pizzas was painful...

[/ QUOTE ]

This crappy tournament and Poker Royal were on at the same time on Saturday night in Kansas. I watched them both as long as I could. The play was crappy, and if the guy that won the UB thing is a professional poker player he has to be starving.

TimTimSalabim
06-20-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm just watching it now on Tivo, and they're doing a poor job of correlating the commentary with what's actually going on, showing the wrong cards and sometimes getting the action all wrong. Since this is the first show, hopefully it will improve. I'd never heard "call if you don't like assignable-value pieces of plastic" before, that was kind of amusing, in a geeky kind of way /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

pokers
06-20-2005, 05:43 PM
its an ok show