PDA

View Full Version : I never traveled beyond the tristate area.

RYL
06-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I was born in New York City. I'm still living here. I only traveled around the tristate area. The life I'm living is the only life I know. For those who traveled around this beautiful country, what differences do you see in the North, South, East, West of the United States? I look forward to some responses. Thanks in advance.

RYL
06-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Damn... I must be asking the wrong questions...

hoopsie44
06-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I've done extensive traveling throughout the US and it's always amusing when you tell someone you're from NYC. They always seem to assume you're a big city hotshot who thinks they know everything. Also, they still have that tried and true conception that crime is out of control in NY. Just a couple of things that I've picked up on.

RYL
06-18-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've done extensive traveling throughout the US and it's always amusing when you tell someone you're from NYC. They always seem to assume you're a big city hotshot who thinks they know everything. Also, they still have that tried and true conception that crime is out of control in NY. Just a couple of things that I've picked up on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one...

RYL
06-18-2005, 01:59 PM
For those who never visited NYC, what is the general perception of NYC from where YOU live?

tbach24
06-18-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those who never visited NY, what is the general perception from where YOU live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been there once but didn't really pay attention to them. I think of them as high stressed people who want money (some poor, some rich).

RYL
06-18-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those who never visited NY, what is the general perception from where YOU live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been there once but didn't really pay attention to them. I think of them as high stressed people who want money (some poor, some rich).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What makes you think that?

glen
06-18-2005, 02:05 PM
I think it is more that you would be surprised at how small other people's world can be. Spending a month in nyc you will see more stuff than some people will see in fifty years. . .

RYL
06-18-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is more that you would be surprised at how small other people's world can be. Spending a month in nyc you will see more stuff than some people will see in fifty years. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...

jakethebake
06-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Go get on your car right now. Drive. Do not stop. See everything for yourself.

RYL
06-18-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't. My family needs me.

jakethebake
06-18-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't. My family needs me.

[/ QUOTE ]

if they've never left the tristate area, they should go with you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fluxrad
06-18-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those who never visited NYC, what is the general perception of NYC from where YOU live?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like LA. A big-ass city with about 15 billion different types of people. The only thing I've noticed as a general rule in my numerous phone conversations with New Yorkers is that the more blunt you are, the more you'll get done.

I used to do tech support, and I have a habit of mimicking whatever type of accent/mannerisms I pick up from the other person on the line. What caused me to do this was actually the New Yorkers. When I was polite and courteous to them, I would generally have a harder time helping them solve their problems. They would be difficult and sometimes outright abusive. When I changed my speech to be more curt and abrupt, with shorter and more hostile tones, I found that calls with New Yorkers tended to be more pleasant and, often times, the person on the other end of the line would become more courteous themselves.

RYL
06-18-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like LA. A big-ass city with about 15 billion different types of people. The only thing I've noticed as a general rule in my numerous phone conversations with New Yorkers is that the more blunt you are, the more you'll get done.

I used to do tech support, and I have a habit of mimicking whatever type of accent/mannerisms I pick up from the other person on the line. What caused me to do this was actually the New Yorkers. When I was polite and courteous to them, I would generally have a harder time helping them solve their problems. They would be difficult and sometimes outright abusive. When I changed my speech to be more curt and abrupt, with shorter and more hostile tones, I found that calls with New Yorkers tended to be more pleasant and, often times, the person on the other end of the line would become more courteous themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a stockbroker, so I can relate to your story.

HopeydaFish
06-18-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do tech support, and I have a habit of mimicking whatever type of accent/mannerisms I pick up from the other person on the line. What caused me to do this was actually the New Yorkers. When I was polite and courteous to them, I would generally have a harder time helping them solve their problems. They would be difficult and sometimes outright abusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

They could smell your fear.

mason55
06-18-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to a lot of places in the world but for some reason I didn't go to NYC until I was about 19. It was everything I ever imagined multiplied by about a thousand. I've been there probabaly 10-15 times in the past 4 years. I wish I had never gone because it makes everywhere else seem so BORING.

RYL
06-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I live here. How about any other state BUT NY.

RYL
06-18-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At times I wish I had 10,000 posts. Maybe then I'll get responses.

James282
06-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm from New Jersey, and I was wondering the same things you are. Here are pictures from a trip I took after I graduated college. The most eye-opening 6 weeks of my life.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jameswdavis
-James

jakethebake
06-18-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At times I wish I had 10,000 posts. Maybe then I'll get responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

no one responds to my threads either.

manpower
06-18-2005, 06:00 PM
I grew up in a small town in Maine with a population of 5,000 people or so. The high school graduating class was 165 people which made the school just a little too small to have a football team, so soccer was the spectator sport in the fall. Because of this, we didn't really have 'jocks' in the traditional sense and there wasn't much of a clique system. We didn't have cheerleaders.

It wasn't a fully stereotypical small town, but at the same time, it was. We didn't lock our houses or cars, the worst crime was high school kids getting high and the police beat in the local newspaper concerned itself mostly with the 'dispatch' (as the paper called it) of rabid animals. I knew all my neighbors by first name, babysat their kids, mowed their lawns, etc.

Parties were always either at someone's parent's house while they were away or in a sandpit out in the woods around a bonfire. Hicks love blowing stuff up; it wasn't uncommon to see an acetylene (for blowtorches) filled balloon thrown on the fire. Drug use consisted mostly of alcohol and marijuana, however pharmaceuticals had caught on among certain groups and you'd see someone crushing up a pill of oxycodone or adderal/ritalin pretty regularly.

Half the kids were bored to death up here and wanted to get out and move to a big city or california or whatever. The other half liked the slow life and are going to be happy as can be driving the kids to soccer practice in their minivan.

I went to college at a school of about 1/3 kids from NYC. The worst stereotypes we had about them went to the tune of "pretentious, snobby, rich kids" but you know how stereotypes are... One of my best friends grew up in Manhattan and I've dated two girls from scarsdale.

ThaSaltCracka
06-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I just had some cousins from NJ come out to WA to visit. They were amazed at the scenery and the nature.

My best advice is to plan some family vacations to various places around the country. Like, go to Charleston, S.C. or Miami, L.A., Chicago, Seattle, Yellowstone, etc. Get out and see some new things. I live in a state much much larger then the one you live in, and I have been to more states than you. wtf.

kerssens
06-18-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in a state much much larger then the one you live in, and I have been to more states than you. wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.....I feel like I've been nowhere but I've been to 9 states.

gorie
06-18-2005, 06:31 PM
i also feel like i've been no where. probably because i've barely left wisconsin. hmm!!

kerssens
06-18-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i also feel like i've been no where. probably because i've barely left wisconsin. hmm!!

[/ QUOTE ]

At least Wisconsin is the mecca of culture. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif