PDA

View Full Version : Is this the correct use of a "gigabet play"

Ducci015
06-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Last night in the Friday special i encountered a situation where I used what i think is the gigabet play, if i did indeed get the correct interpretation of how to use it.

I was in the small blind with 40K in chips. The average was 30K, and about 30 players left. My table had all stacks below 33K and the UTG player went AI for 6000, the blinds were 1000, 2000. I was dealt J5 hearts. I clearly would be taking -EV with this call- but if i do call and win, i have almost 50K and can run the table over. If i call and lose i have 35K and am still the big stack. Is this the right place to take a -EV race to try to amass a large stack. I was playing this torunament for 1st and nothing else. Let me know, thanks

freemoney
06-18-2005, 01:02 PM
although i understood 4 words in giga's original post, i kind of understand it now i think and i think this would be a pretty optimal situation for it.

Sponger15SB
06-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I would call here. You're getting 2.25-1 as it stands anyways and like you mentioned you'd have a clearly larger stack in comparison to the other people at your table.

momo24
06-18-2005, 01:13 PM
He's the small blind so he's only getting 1.8:1 to call and has the BB still to act behind him. I'd fold here, but that's because I doubt I'd start running over the table if I picked up this pot so it's not worth making a -ev call for me.

Phill S
06-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Gigabet either started something really usefull and out of the box, or something majorly dangerous.

Word of caution, before trying a tier 1 tourney player's play, remember who you are.

Phill

Paul2432
06-18-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would call here. You're getting 2.25-1 as it stands anyways and like you mentioned you'd have a clearly larger stack in comparison to the other people at your table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hero is the SB not the BB so he is only getting 1.8:1 odds. Those are still reasonable odds to play in this situation if the BB folds. I don't like calling here because it lets the BB in cheaply and he has position on me.

I think if you play here you have to raise. Whether you raise or fold is impossible to know without knowing the stack size and tendencies of the BB.

Paul

MastiffPaul
06-18-2005, 01:27 PM
I think you would be better served by focusing on basic and intermediate concepts before tackling theories like these.

Insty
06-18-2005, 01:37 PM
You also lose all fold equity for future pushes, you'll find yourself being called down by all kinds of rubbish.

Which is fine if you know you have great cards on the way...

Phoenix1010
06-18-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last night in the Friday special i encountered a situation where I used what i think is the gigabet play, if i did indeed get the correct interpretation of how to use it.

I was in the small blind with 40K in chips. The average was 30K, and about 30 players left. My table had all stacks below 33K and the UTG player went AI for 6000, the blinds were 1000, 2000. I was dealt J5 hearts. I clearly would be taking -EV with this call- but if i do call and win, i have almost 50K and can run the table over. If i call and lose i have 35K and am still the big stack. Is this the right place to take a -EV race to try to amass a large stack. I was playing this torunament for 1st and nothing else. Let me know, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope this place doesn't get flooded with new "inspired by Gigabet" plays every couple of seconds like it did after ATWSAF (lol).

This is a fine place to take some -chipEV according to ICM, because you think it will improve your overall dollarEV for the tournament. If it's folded to you, knock yourself out, I hope you realize that you should reraise to isolate, rather than give the BB 3.5 to one see a flop, or a chance to resteal the dead money away from you with a push. If anyone calls the push before you, you're going to have to guage your chances of making them fold by pushing yourself. With stacks like that, your chances of folding anyone aren't great, but a read could swing that.

Crispy86
06-18-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hero is the SB not the BB so he is only getting 1.8:1 odds. Those are still reasonable odds to play in this situation if the BB folds. I don't like calling here because it lets the BB in cheaply and he has position on me.

I think if you play here you have to raise. Whether you raise or fold is impossible to know without knowing the stack size and tendencies of the BB.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that if you're going to try and call, then you must re-raise to avoid letting the BB in cheaply. The odds of 1.8 to 1 state that he only needs about 36% chances to take it, so another way of approaching this, my not being overly familiar (i.e. not at all) with Gigabet's theory, is to judge whether you think you have the odds with the Jh5h. If you're up against a pair of 7s for example, you have only 34% winning chances, if you're up against an AdKd you'd have a 35% winning chances, and if the AK is unsuited your chances go up to 37%. Clearly it's a very close call, even if your opponent has a good hand, so with other factors that I have yet to learn and master, it may be clearly correct to call. I'll let more knowledgeable players comment.

Albert

Iamafish
06-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Gigabet shouldn't post anymore.

Freudian
06-18-2005, 03:38 PM
So you risked up to 33k chips to gamble with J5 against a random hand for 9k chips+blinds? It is fine if you think BB is tight.

If BB is also into Gigathinking with his KJo ("hey, I can gamble to get 70k chips"), then the play obviously sucks.

Besides, in a live tournament you also have to think about how this affect your table image.

CD56
06-18-2005, 04:32 PM
can someone post a link to the original gigabet post?

thanks

Matt R.
06-18-2005, 04:38 PM
I like -- if you're great at using a big stack. And you definitely need to raise to isolate the all-in. I think this definitely is an application of Gig's idea. Winning this would give you a 17K chip cushion -- this is at LEAST half of everyone else at the table. Plenty of power in those chips. Similarly, losing 5K is going to keep you in pretty much the same shape as before. I say if BB will fold most hands, definitely go for it.

Ducci015
06-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys for all for all of the input.....I did reraise with my J5c and he had K8os, I was happy where i was at after J85 flop, until K hit river, but thats neside the point. For those of you who say this play is too advanced- I am a regular at the step 5s and a consistent winner. On top of this I have made the final 20 in the past 2 Sunday Quarters/350K guranteed and won a super tuesday 2 wks ago. I am not an amateur player-- i was just really trying to provide a good example of what i thought gigabet was talking about-- since his language was unclear. thanks for all of the input- im new on this site and hopefully will get to help/share with you all a lot in the near future