PDA

View Full Version : Push with 55 UTG.... plus or minus EV????

Angelic_Ace
06-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Party 10+1, 6 left. I have played very tight up to this point, and have not raised at all in early position. Is this a Plus EV move, or should I wait for something better?

Total number of players : 6
Seat 5: mbounds (1120)
Seat 6: cwioo1 (1735)
Seat 7: bass55 (1285)
Seat 8: Angelic_Ace (1105)
Seat 9: goblues30 (975)
Seat 10: Tieuluumanh (1780)

cwioo1 posts small blind (75)
bass55 posts big blind (150)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Angelic_Ace [ 5c, 5d ]
Angelic_Ace raises (1105) to 1105
Angelic_Ace is all-In.

zipppy
06-18-2005, 11:45 AM
alot of $11 players will not have noticed that you haven't pushed much from EP, or from any position for that matter. I think I would wait for a better spot (LP or stronger hand) to be pushing.

>>>ZIPPPY

USCSigma1097
06-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't like it...

I think that at best it's a break even decision...and you don't need to be making break even decisions in the 10+1's for you should have ample opputunities to get your chips in a better position. Also, you make the comment that you had been playing tight up until that point. I guarantee you that few, if any, players were actually observant enough to notice your playing style. Pushing with 55 UTG because you had been tight up until that point smells of FPS, and FPS at lower levels is a recipe for breaking even, if not losing.

Sigma

Angelic_Ace
06-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Can you explain FPS to me?

LordBP
06-19-2005, 12:40 AM
FPS is Fancy Play Syndrome meaning that you are trying to be to fancy for the players at the 11's. By saying you've been playing tight means nothing if they don't notice which 90% at the 11's don't.

lastchance
06-19-2005, 12:48 AM
If this is your very first push, it's ok. You're not getting called less because you're tight, but you certainly are getting called more when you raise and push PF constantly. Here, you still have FE, and 55 is a pretty good hand. I think I try to steal here.

Bigwig
06-19-2005, 01:18 AM
It's a good push.

Did anyone take notice of the stack sizes? You've got more fold equity than normal in this particular situation.

lastchance
06-19-2005, 02:19 AM
No, you don't.

Party 10+1

Still, it's not the bubble yet. You need to play this hand, and you need to push it.

Matt R.
06-19-2005, 02:21 AM
I push simply because you're going to have <900 chips after the blinds pass you, and I really really don't like that in this situation. I hate pushing low'ish pocket pairs at the $11's with so many after you (BECAUSE THEY'LL CALL WITH EVERYTHING GRRRR /images/graemlins/mad.gif -- see Freudian's thread for my anger issues), but I think it's better to in this situation because of how much fold equity you'll lose once the blinds pass.

NotReady
06-19-2005, 02:40 AM
I think there are several good reasons to push. One major factor for me is that in 6 hands you will be UTG again, but probably with about 2XBB instead of about 7XBB which you now have, and unlikely as good a hand as 55. Weigh that against the likelihood of having a better opportunity before then.

And 11 players do sometimes notice you've been tight. I had a chat comment today when I pushed under the gun, something like "The tightest player at the table raises, do you think he's bluffing?" All folded. I think I had A6s.

curtains
06-19-2005, 02:56 AM
It should be very close call, I think I'd lean towards folding based on some math.

jcm4ccc
06-19-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a good push.

Did anyone take notice of the stack sizes? You've got more fold equity than normal in this particular situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No, you don't.

Party 10+1

Still, it's not the bubble yet. You need to play this hand, and you need to push it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even at a Party $10 + $1, the big stacks and the small stacks are more likely to call than the medium stacks. It's just common sense that you open up your calling ranges when you have no fear of busting out or you are desperate. Even the fish intuitively understand this.

I have 5000 chips. No way I'm folding my A9o.
I have 300 chips. No way I'm folding my A90.
versus
I have 1000 chips. I really want to get my money back on this tournament. God, if he has a better hand, that would really suck. [censored], maybe I better fold this.