PDA

View Full Version : borgata 20/40. isolation by threebetting gone somewhat awry

THWAP!
06-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Decent game at borgata. Folded around to hijack who openraises. Is a young kid, has been playing generally solidly and is a thinking player, though his openraising requirements, especially in late position, are noticeably dipping as the table is getting short. I'm not saying it's going to be 94o or anything like that, but something like J9o is totally in range now.

I threebet with 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I had a few reasons for doing this:

(1) as i said, the hijack was opening a little light, and I knew it
(2) my table image is pretty good, as I was playing reasonably tightly preflop, and valuebetting aggressively postflop.
(3) I knew that the hijack was a thinking player, so I could make him laydown a fair amount of hands postflop

Button caps it. Oops! Button is a very old man. He floats tons of stuff. He's floated AK and KK earlier in the session. He pretty much just calls everything on later sts. But he capped here. Yikes. He pretty much has to have AA to do this.

Folded around to hijack who gives a noticeable expression of ugh; he calls, I call.

Flop is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Well, that's almost about as good as it can get for me.

Hijack checks, I bet, Button raises, hijack folds, I 3 bet.

I 3 bet here because:

(1) My hand should have good equity in this spot, unless he has KK, which is (somewhat) unlikely, given the tendencies of this guy
(2) The old man is passive. If I 3 bet here, I can actually frighten him out of betting the turn.

Turn is not noteworthy.

I check, button checks.

River is lovely Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I bet, button calls.

Thoughts on my thinking and play on all sts much appreciated.

SpaceAce
06-18-2005, 05:38 PM
I prefer to check-raise this flop rather than lead. You're almost certainly drawing so you might as well try to pad the pot with a third party's money if you're going to put in multiple bets on the flop.

SpaceAce

nate1729
06-18-2005, 08:07 PM
If you have the right kind of control over hijack, preflop is good.

Agreed with SpaceAce; check-raise the flop. Isolation is pointless.

Turn is fine, of course. No point in betting against this button.

River is player-dependent. I'd imagine this button is passive enough that betting is better than checkraising.

The big issue is the flop bet/checkraise issue. Checkraising is much better.

--Nate