PDA

View Full Version : 3-table SNG meltdown...critique anything plz, 4 hands.

twolf
06-18-2005, 05:20 AM
Alright, I was tops after some great hands. Then it happens. It makes me wonder about my play. It also makes me wonder if I'm just starting to get on a bad run after running so hot lately which is making me make some -EV plays. These are from a 10+1 3-table SNG with 2 tables left. Flame away I could use a good sizzle after this garbage.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter

SB (t5995)
BB (t2515)
UTG (t1380)
MP (t3240)
Hero (t5315)
Button (t3410)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8d, 8s.
UTG calls t200, 1 fold, Hero raises to t1000, 3 folds, UTG raises to t1380, Hero calls t380.

Flop: (t3060) 9c, 7h, 7s (2 players)

Turn: (t3060) Qs (2 players)

River: (t3060) Js (2 players)

Final Pot: t3060

Limper showed A9s. Ok, so I isolated a small stack that limped with a small pair and lost a coin flip...Here is a hand against the same person. I don't know why I called this, this was really bad. I think my thoughts were along the lines of "if I miss I still have plenty of chips...if I hit I have my chips back".

SB (t6420)
BB (t1190)
UTG (t635)
MP (t3815)
Hero (t3910)
Button (t5885)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Kd, Tc.
UTG raises to t610, MP calls t610, Hero calls t610, 3 folds.

Flop: (t1955) 2h, Jd, 4d (3 players)
MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1955) 3c (3 players)
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (t1955) Ac (3 players)
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t1955

Pusher has AA, MP has KQo.

MP (t6245)
CO (t815)
Button (t1930)
SB (t2930)
Hero (t3675)
UTG (t6260)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9c, Tc.
2 folds, CO raises to t790, 2 folds, Hero calls t590.

Flop: (t1505) Kd, Qd, As (2 players)

Turn: (t1505) 5c (2 players)

River: (t1505) 5s (2 players)

Final Pot: t1505

My thoughts on this hand were that I could use the chips, it could be a flipper and doesn't need a pair higher than 99 to do this. So I call...like a retard. Opponents 3's held up.

Finally there is this one that is once again against the person that had A9s. I open raise as a shortstack now and call his push...

CO (t5140)
Button (t3210)
SB (t1605)
BB (t2705)
Hero (t2910)
MP (t6285)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Ac, Th.
Hero raises to t600, 3 folds, SB raises to t1580, 1 fold, Hero calls t980.

Flop: (t3260) Ks, 8c, Kd (2 players)

Turn: (t3260) 2s (2 players)

River: (t3260) 2h (2 players)

Final Pot: t3260

Opponent had 1010 and I was toast.

jvphish
06-18-2005, 08:18 AM
you are terrible

Karak567
06-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Note this advice is coming from a 1-table SNG player - but I have a lot of experience with SNGs. However, since I really am very used to 1-table tournies with very shallow stacks - pardon me if some of my advice is a bit off.

Hand 1 - I would either limp behind or raise to 800 IF that. I highly suggest limping.

Hand 2 - Fold preflop, no reason to call this raise. KT is not a great hand to be calling all ins with if someone before you has called too. Even if he DIDN'T call, making this call is very read dependent. I probably fold either way.

Hand 3 - Fold preflop.

Hand 4 - This one is interesting. I would probably fold preflop (not raise at all) and definitely would not call that all in.

TxSteve
06-18-2005, 11:49 AM
i think you're calling off LOTS of chips with marginal to horrible hands.

in most of those hands; you've got plenty of chips....what's the hurry? wait for a better spot.

looks to me like based on those hands; you really need to study the gap concept:

you need a better hand to call a raise than you do to raise yourself. calling all ins with some of those hands is criminal

McMelchior
06-18-2005, 02:08 PM
In all of the hands you're all-in preflop - so you don't really need to post the board and the results. With that many hands in one post it would make it easier to read, and the outcome is 100% irrelevant for the discussion.

I don't agree with the posters that are VERY critical of your play. I think it's important to realize that this is NOT a one-table satellite, and you need to accumulate some chips to make it through the final table to the money. Doing it while you're shorthanded here is highly preferable to starting out a at full final table with a mediocre stack.

1st hand (88) ... marginal. Your problem here probably lies in the buy-in. In a $10 buy-in you will have NO folding equity. Which means that you will get called by a lot of two-overs combinations, and with a decent but not fool-proof stack the potential loss outweights the gain by coin-flipping right now.

2nd hand (KT): Your biggest mistake. If you want to tangle with an all-in player with such a weak holding you MUST re-raise to isolate, and as for 1st hand you have little or nothing to gain from it anyway.

3rd hand (T9s). Fine. The pot is offering you 2:1, you can safely put your opponent on a WIDE range, there is no more action to be had, there are no more players to act, and you're only investing less than 20% of your remaining stack. Correct call - every time.

4th hand (AT)... fine. 6 handed AT is a must raise (though I would consider only making it t450 or t500 and making it cheaper to get away if one of the big stacks moves in). SB is down to 8 BB and will come over the top with a WIDE range (A-any, any pair, JT, suited connectors etc.), again he's all-in with no more action to be had, and the pot is offering you better than 2.5:1. Clear call.

I believe you might be focusing to much on the results.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

ihaveapigyo
06-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Situation 1: I would limp in this situation. It doesn't cost you very much, and if you flop a set or there are no overcards, you can be looking forward to winning a good sized pot. If I felt that the UTG player was a weak player, I would raise to 800.

Situation 2: Lol, I would fold.

Situation 3: I would fold.

Situation 4: I don't mind the raise UTG because it's a shorthanded table, but since the other players have seen some of the hands you have played and probably have a good read on you, I would pick a better spot to get involved. I would NEVER call an all-in with a marginal hand if it meant risking about 1/2 of my stack!

twolf
06-18-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope that made you feel better about yourself.

Thanks everybody else for the replies. I was hoping by posting this and getting scolded/flamed would help me never ever do this again. Thanks again for providing thoughtful responses.