PDA

View Full Version : Folding Ak??

bruce
06-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Don't remember exact details but around three tables left. Blinds are 3/6k with antes. UTG moves all in for 14000. Middle player with 130,000, who is knew to table, makes it
44,000. I have AKo with a 100,000 stack. What is my best
play? I have 4th largest stack.

Comments appreciated.

Bruce

BeantownCaller
06-18-2005, 04:22 AM
Sorta related hand in the 25+2 I just played. How horrendously weak was this guys? A buddy was watching me play and really really let me have it for this one. He knows I'm more exprerienced and know more about poker than him, but I think he might be right about this one. Does anyone else pass up the chance to become chip leader with AKs?

Here's the hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1500 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t24088)
BB (t5952)
UTG (t17748)
MP1 (t19536)
MP2 (t74776)
CO (t41368)
Button (t16532)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t1500, MP2 is all in t74776<font color="#666666"> 3 folds Hero thinks forever and folds 1 fold </font>.

Final Pot: t78000ish - converter screwed up

my thinking on the hand was that there was a good chance he had AK or a decent pocket pair. I think the times he turns over KK or AA make up for when he has AQ or another non-pair but maybe I'm way off. Anyhow, I looked at everyones stacks and I had plenty of wiggle room, and i felt like I'd rather pass up the probable coin flip and play poker and outlast the slightly smaller stacks, rather than shove all my chips in when I wasn't sure. Payouts were $200 for 7th, then 300, 350, 400, 525, 775, 1350. The $100 jump from 7th to 6th and the short stacks had something to do with my decision too, even though I should have been "playing for 1st", as the cliche term goes.

Anyhow, I felt like I wasn't guaranteed 1st or 2nd if I double up that hand, and I could definitely play my way up there. I ended up busting out in 4th for $400 when I got caught on a blind steal but flopped a pair and thought I had the odds to go on. Other guy caught 2 pair on turn instead of me and I was out.

Anyhow, sorry for hijacking your thread bro, but this is on my mind cuz it just happened so maybe we can get some opinions together /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys

baronzeus
06-18-2005, 05:14 AM
The second situation is different. Playing AK to a raise and a reraise is almost definitely bad against solid players.

Good fold in position one, bad fold in position 2 (IMO)

kuro
06-18-2005, 11:03 AM
In the first situation, you've got a short stacks desperation push before going into the blinds and then an isolation raise from a big stack. So big stack doesn't have to have a premium hand to make this raise. Despite being 4th, your stack is only 16.7 x BB. I think I'd gamble here and push. It's definitely +chip ev to race the big stack with all the blinds and antes and the desperation short stack already in the pot.

In the second situation, I look the guy up because this is usually some bone head that read about blind stealing and bullying with a big stack but hasn't figured out that pushing is overkill. This is a low buyin right?

bruce
06-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Another factor in your/my hand with a third party in is that
they have one of your Aces or Kings and if you are up against a pair it isn't a coin flip.

I elected to pass because if I were to play my hand my chips were all going in BTF and because I was one of the biggest stacks I didn't want to gamble when I wasn't in a desperate situation. Could villian in my hand have had
AJ,AQ, etc., based on his play that was possible and if so
it would be a bad laydown for me.

Since one player was all in I got to see the actual hands.
Short stack had Ace small and villian had pocket Jacks. I
would have lost the race, but that really isn't the point of this thread.
Bruce

kuro
06-18-2005, 02:50 PM
In this situation, it's tough to put UTG short stack on an ace because he's got less than 2.5 bb about to go through the blinds. He's correct pushing any two here.

ihaveapigyo
06-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Situation 1: If you aren't retarded, you'll fold. If you call, you're risking about 1/2 of your stack to a player who has you covered and have no recollection of how he plays since he's new to the table.

Situation 2: It really depends on what you have noticed about the player who is all-in, but since you aren't in danger of being blinded out, it's really up to you if you want to call this. If you really want to win the tourney you can call, but if you want to wait for a better spot you can do that too.

Packerfan
06-18-2005, 03:44 PM
At first I didnt like ethier of these laydowns but after reading the other posts I'd have to change my opinion the first laydown was the right theing to do SS could push with anything but dont reraise the raiser in that situation your probably beat anyway as for situation2 as much as I dont like going all in with AK. AKs is a differnt and as good a spot as any to take control