06-18-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is the best microbrew.

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really a microbrew anymore.

BruinEric
06-18-2005, 03:16 AM
I don't concur. There are so many microbrews better to my taste that its irrelevant to list them.

Fat Tire is new to my area so I bought one the other day. It has a "clean" malt profile and a refreshing mouthfeel.

However, without any hop profile at all, it is really a one-dimensional beer which only showcases the malt. There is no hop aroma or bitterness.

Futhermore, for a brewery which brews several belgian styles, Fat Tire doesn't showcase any fruity flavors that would come from the yeast.

Because of this, I poured the rest of my glass down the drain and poured myself an IPA.

If people are choosing this instead of Miller Lite or some such, then its a very good choice. The beer has a malt flavor and no corn or rice like the mainstream beers have. There are no preservatives, etc. The more a brewery like NBBC gets exposed, the better it is for those of us who like craft beer.

I have heard great things about this brewery's other beers, but haven't tried any yet.

For a real hop-bomb from a Colorado brewery, try the Avery Maharaja (very limited availability). Or for a really refreshing summer quencher from a Colorado brewery, try the Avery White Rascal. Both are delicious in different ways. Neither of these is the "best micro" in my book, but worthy suggestions from my recent tastings.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-18-2005, 04:22 AM
I don't know much (anything?) about beer, but the only beer whose taste I actually liked was a beer called Blue Moon.

fluxrad
06-18-2005, 04:25 AM
Blue Moon is made by Coors. If I had it, it was quite some time ago, but generally speaking the only decent beer Coors brews is Coors Extra Gold (straight from the factory).

Personally, I'm trying to stay away from their stuff since I hate the fuckstick running the place ;-)

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-18-2005, 04:33 AM
I didn't know that, and for a second I was like EGAD, but now that I think about it, i'll probably still try to get it when I go out for beer.

Anyway, all these IPAs that I try whether microbrew or not (some IPAs I've tried recently are from Paper City Brewary and some Flying Dog place or something) taste like wood to me. I've always told people they are "oaky" or something. I don't know, they just taste too strong and unappealing, but my roommate and one of his good friends are all about them, so I have no idea.

I drink liquor more anyway, but still, I'd like to be knowledgable.

goofball
06-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Fat Tire is a nice little beer, but it is actually near the bottom of the beers made by New Belgium. (tied for my favorite brewery with mcmenamins and bridgeport, both in portland)

Sunshine wheat beer is the best hef of all time. Words cannot describe.

Loft is a very good summer blonde (a la Pyramid curveball), blue paddle is in the solid good range for a pilsner lager. It's been a long time sinc ei've had the others but only because i can't find them anywhere.

thatpfunk
06-18-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Because of this, I poured the rest of my glass down the drain and poured myself an IPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, pouring a decent beer down the drain is idiotic?

BOTW
06-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Abbey, Transatlantique Kriek, and Trippel by them are better, but Fat Tire is a pretty good beer. Thread rating: 4 stars.

Edit: Did you know that Coors Extra Gold is regular Coors mixed with Killian's Red (which ain't too bad itself being from a macrobrewer)?

Freakin
06-18-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fat Tire is a nice little beer, but it is actually near the bottom of the beers made by New Belgium. (tied for my favorite brewery with mcmenamins and bridgeport, both in portland)

Sunshine wheat beer is the best hef of all time. Words cannot describe.

Loft is a very good summer blonde (a la Pyramid curveball), blue paddle is in the solid good range for a pilsner lager. It's been a long time sinc ei've had the others but only because i can't find them anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mcmenamins Ruby is my personal favorite... sitting in the upstairs of the Six Arms w/ a french dip & a ruby is hard to beat.

Freakin

DavidC
06-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Not a micro, but I'm curious what you guys think of Hoegarten?

--Dave.

BruinEric
06-18-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't drink for "effect," but rather for a pleasing taste. Since Fat Tire's taste is not pleasing to me (although as described, it is not offensive) I poured it down the drain. Then I went to my keg dispenser and pulled myself about 8 oz of an awesome IPA.

So I really see no reason to finish a beer I don't particularly like.

DavidC
06-18-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't drink for "effect," but rather for a pleasing taste. Since Fat Tire's taste is not pleasing to me (although as described, it is not offensive) I poured it down the drain. Then I went to my keg dispenser and pulled myself about 8 oz of an awesome IPA.

So I really see no reason to finish a beer I don't particularly like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, particularly if you would rather have one of the other beers rather than two beer, or even two of the others rather than one of each. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Especially if money's not an issue, or if you have a friend that wants to try it (then no need to drain it).

How would you cleanse your palette between beers?

--Dave.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-18-2005, 03:16 PM
You get Harpoon IPA in Denver? If so, try it.

jakethebake
06-18-2005, 03:21 PM
it gives me the shits.

goofball
06-18-2005, 09:48 PM
or a wilbur's jumbo deluxe and anything.

InchoateHand
06-19-2005, 02:08 AM
I can almost concur with BruinEric, except Avery's standard old Double IPA is better than the Maharaja for a number of reasons I don't feel like detailing. In fact, the Maharaja is way over-rated.

I'm still waiting for the Avery 12---at first the distributor said it wasn't going to be produced, but then the master brewer said it was...

MortalNuts
06-19-2005, 05:03 AM
FYI, for those of you in Colorado, New Belgium is brewing an IPA right now that you can apparently only get at the factory.

A guy who lives in Ft. Collins brought a growler of this stuff to a party I attended recently, and man was it good. Maybe my favorite New Belgium beer -- far more hoppy than most of their beers, without being overpowering. Admittedly, I was drunk at the time, and I'll probably never have the stuff again, so who knows really.

Still, you guys should get some.

oh, and fwiw: I like fat tire, but prefer several of new belgium's other beers. actually, pretty much of all of them now that I think about it. but whatever.

goofball
06-19-2005, 07:41 AM
yes well, MGM FCUKING SERVRES FAT TIRE AND IT KICKS ASS.

Rockatansky
06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is the best microbrew.

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say best but it is definitely very good. You realize, of course, that if you'd posted something saying "Hey guys, I like breathing oxygen, do you agree?" someone would have replied "It's overrated - carbon monoxide is what those those in the know prefer."

James Boston
06-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I've never had an IPA, nor do I know of any local stores who sell it. Can someone compare it to something? I guess it's a vague question, but this is apparently a well-liked beer that I'm missing out on.

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is the best microbrew.

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Overated actually.

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:00 PM
it is hoppy, not very filling, usually 6%+. Tastes great on warm days.

James Boston
06-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Would it be fair for to say it resembles a rice beer, or a crisp lager?

Blarg
06-23-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blue Moon is made by Coors. If I had it, it was quite some time ago, but generally speaking the only decent beer Coors brews is Coors Extra Gold (straight from the factory).

Personally, I'm trying to stay away from their stuff since I hate the fuckstick running the place ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it better than regular Coors?

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be fair for to say it resembles a rice beer, or a crisp lager?

[/ QUOTE ]

here is what Pyramid says about its IPA:

British colonists demanded it, but asking nicely works too.
It took only a couple of rounds of India's finest for the 19th century British Colonists to write home, "Either send us some good beer or we're outta here." India Pale Ale is what was sent. Originally made extra hoppy to survive the voyage, it's unique flavor also survived the Colonists finicky tastes and became and instant favorite back home.

Pyramid India Pale Ale has the distinctively hoppy flavor and aroma craft beer enthusiasts demand. Abundant helpings of Columbus hops gives this ale an astonishing 67 IBU's - truly a beer for bold tastes! The distinguished Celebrator Beer News aptly named this brew "hophead nectar" (June/July issue, 1998).

Original Gravity: 1.069
Alcohol By Volume: 6.70%
Malts: 2-Row Barley, Munich, Caramel, Carapils
Hops: Tomahawk
Availability: Year Round
Best Paired With: Fish, BBQ and all things hot n' spicy