PDA

View Full Version : Orleans(Vegas) Poker?

Kenser
01-18-2003, 04:30 PM
What is the poker and poker room like at The Orleans in Vegas. I understand they have remodeled and have a new poker room. Don't see it discussed much.

Howard Burroughs
01-18-2003, 04:44 PM
In my opinion the Orleans is one of the best rooms in town. Non-smoking room (except between 3:00 am - 9:00 am). On the weekend they sometimes get up a 10-20. This past weekend they had a good 2-10 stud-8 game.

In other words,it is a well run room with lots of games (unless you have to play higher limits, then you are forced to play the Mirage/Bellagio two step), clean air, best comps in town, lots of good restaurants, lots of tournaments, movie theater on site, fantastic dealing staff and brush system, and you can see where you are on the list on the overhead TV screens.

I think you'll like it, give it a try.

Best of luck

H.B.

DanS
01-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Howard,
There's a decent chance I'm going to move to Vegas next year to work for the new pro hockey team. So if you could expand on a few things...

How's the Orleans Arena looking? Is it right on the Orleans property? Is there a chance that they'll go no-smoke 24 hours a day? (It might be a good thing for me, I'll just leave the room by 3, no more all-nighters!) What's the rake structure? Other than Orleans Open time, do they EVER spread 10-20 to 20-40 (and higher) regularly? Is there a (ugh) jackpot drop?

DanS

Bonus question: If you could play at ONLY one room for any game between 6-12 and 10-20, rank these rooms: Bellagio, Mirage, Binion's, and the Orleans.

Thanks,
Dan

Clarkmeister
01-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Howard,

You forgot to add "lots of whiny locals who bitch if you don't play exactly the same as they do" to your list. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Howard Burroughs
01-18-2003, 08:59 PM
Arena - Don't know, but if it's the recent construction that was just completed then I take it that it's up & ready.

Smoke Free 24 - There's always a chance (Vegas is the land of chances!) but I doubt it from what I have heard on the grapevine. I hope I'm wrong (I don't smoke).

10-20 - On the weekends here and there.

20-40 - I have never seen it there except at said tournament time.

Jackpot - Yes they have a jackpot I did get 4 "players shares" in 2002 so I should not complain too much about jackpots, (even though I'm not crazy about them). One of the four player's shares was at the Orleans BTW.

Rake - Hold'em, 5% $3 max.

Bonus - If it is a night were all four rooms have the 10-20 game going (8-16 in the case of Bellagio)........

1) Orleans

2) Binion's

3 Mirage

4) Bellagio

Of course in reality those numbers could easily be reversed. That's why it pays to scout rooms IMHO.

Best of Luck

H.B.

Howard Burroughs
01-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Clark brings up a good point. The winy local. They are every where. But things seem to be getting a little better as time goes on.

And those damn local angle shooters!
Even though the Mirage is one of my favorite places, the Mirage & Palace Station seem to have more angle shooters per capita then any other rooms in town. Your milage may vary.

H.B.

BLUESMAN
01-18-2003, 09:11 PM
In my opinion The Orleans is easily the best run room in town,Mary Fico and her staff are superb,that coupled with a clean nonsmoking playing area and affordable restaurants make it easily the best.

Cooling Heels
01-19-2003, 12:50 AM
So the Orleans sometimes spreads the elusive stud/8 game.
The 2/10 stud/8 game in the midwest has been very good
to me. Are the rules and structure the same? For example,
Saloon number 10 in Deadwood deals no ante, $2 bring-in,
2 to 10 anytime. Other places deal 2 to 5, 10 on the
river, a great structure for low draws with sweep potential.

I've been on lists for stud/8 in LV before, but the only
game I've actually played in was the 3/6 with a kill at
the Palace Station. Not a ridiculous game, but full
of local whiners and poker nits. One shouldn't complain
tho, as poker nits are very entertaining on tilt.

I'll heading out to LV in Feb. for a long weekend. Is there a likely time/day the stud/8 will be going?

thanks...

Howard Burroughs
01-19-2003, 03:35 AM
The stud/8 at the Orleans is only on Saturday nights. Some Saturdays the game does not get off the ground. Call first.

Sometimes the Orleans game has a $20 bet on the river. Most Saturdays it does not.

It is 2-10 on all streets. $1 ante, $2 bring-in.

The Palms:

Although they used to get the stud/8 going a lot more here, it now is spread every Wednesday and Friday. It has been this way for a while now but call first (when you get to town) to avoid heartache.

This game is 2-10, 20 on the end, double quilifier (two pair or better for high). $1 ante, $2 bring-in.

You already know about the Palace Station game (which sometimes gets off the ground and sometimes doesn't). Some other rooms may spread stud/8 here or there but I think those are your best options off the top of my head.

Best of Luck

H.B.

Howard Burroughs
01-19-2003, 03:39 AM
Dan,

The arena should be open by May of this year.

H.B.

Dynasty
01-19-2003, 04:38 AM
I played some 1-5 Stud8 today at the Monte Carlo. Easy game with players chasing ridiculously weak draws. It's definitely beatable for $10+/hr when it runs.

Cooling Heels
01-19-2003, 12:02 PM
It's good to hear that stud/8 gets going at the Monte
Carlo sometimes, that's where I'll be statying. I've
started a list before, but the game never got going.

Don't you love those players who call a third street raise
and take on 2 or 3 solid low draws with split tens. Or
the guy with an 8 for a doorcard. Great game with the
right players.

Cooling Heels
01-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the scouting Howard, I'll try Monte Carlo,
the Palms, and the Orleans, should be able to find
a game. Wouldn't it be nice if the Bellagio spread
4/8 stud/8 with a kill?

balt999
01-20-2003, 09:19 AM
It's a great poker room...awesome low buy in tournaments...a variety of games...and the best damn looking cocktail waitresses in the city...in my humble opinion /forums/images/icons/grin.gif