PDA

View Full Version : 99 - Simple Hand with some questions

MarkD
06-18-2005, 02:22 AM
This hand isn't that tough but I want to make sure I am betting correctly.

History:
I had just moved to this table about an orbit and a half ago and have been semi-aggressive in position. This round I stole the blinds on the button and in the cutoff with raises to 2000 both times.

Blinds are 400/800 with a 50 ante. There are ~66 left and I think 63 get paid or something. I don’t really care about the money at all until final table though. My stack is 13073 which is semi-low for my table and definitely low for the tournament with the blinds as high as they are.

8 handed and I am UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I raise to 2400 straight and the next player cold calls. We see the flop head’s up with 6400 in the pot. He has me covered.

Flop (6400): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif
I bet 3200. My opponent calls.

Turn (12800): 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif
I have 7423 chips.

Questions:
- What’s my move and why?
- Does it matter much?
- Should I ever be folding here?
- Did my prior betting leave me in a bad situation here that I could have avoided with different betting and if so what did I do wrong on prior rounds?

shmahappens
06-18-2005, 02:39 AM
Half the pot is WAY too small on the flop. I'd say at least pot it.

SossMan
06-18-2005, 02:46 AM
i think you have to bet larger on the flop. 5k minimum. obviously, the turn plays itself from there. You don't want to give odds for singleton spade and you don't mind taking it there. You will likely get an overpair all in anyway.

MarkD
06-18-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think you have to bet larger on the flop. 5k minimum. obviously, the turn plays itself from there. You don't want to give odds for singleton spade and you don't mind taking it there. You will likely get an overpair all in anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is what I suspected myself. Half pot has become too standard a bet for me...

Masquerade
06-18-2005, 03:46 AM
I like betting half the pot in a cash game but in a tournament I agree you should bet the pot as you're more concerned with taking it down. Given the chip situation there's even a case for allin-ing on the flop.

Here? I think you allin and pray.