PDA

View Full Version : Why do i continue to do this?

Pasterbator
06-18-2005, 12:15 AM
I can't explain it. In this instance it likely cost me between 200-300 chips. Can someone just tell me i NEED to bet this turn??

***** Hand History for Game 2223638784 *****
NL Hold'em Trny:13188353 Level:2 Blinds (10/20) - Saturday, June 18, 00:03:21 EDT 2005
Table Multi-Table(368746) Table #5 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Pasterbator ( $2450 )
Seat 2: bjuliano ( $765 )
Seat 5: floyd_1977 ( $2600 )
Seat 8: thebbbman ( $3110 )
Seat 6: rickmp ( $650 )
Seat 7: trainwreck10 ( $1680 )
Seat 3: lopneeb ( $1245 )
Seat 9: BklynnsDad ( $1295 )
Seat 4: ckknight ( $2040 )
Seat 10: NLVPOKER ( $895 )
Trny:13188353 Level:2
Blinds (10/20)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Pasterbator [ Jd Js ]
NLVPOKER folds.
Pasterbator raises [75].
bjuliano calls [75].
lopneeb folds.
ckknight calls [75].
floyd_1977 folds.
rickmp folds.
trainwreck10 folds.
thebbbman folds.
BklynnsDad calls [55].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jc, 4c, 9d ]
BklynnsDad checks.
Pasterbator bets [150].
bjuliano calls [150].
ckknight folds.
BklynnsDad folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4d ]
Pasterbator checks.
bjuliano checks.
** Dealing River ** [ Ks ]
Pasterbator bets [300].
bjuliano folds.
Pasterbator does not show cards.
Pasterbator wins 910 chips

The flop call made me think he was on a flush draw. Now, knowing this, is the best move to check (like the flop bet was a continuation bet) and induce a bluff or bet again and make him pay for his draw. I think this is one of my biggest problems. Any help is appreciated.

other1
06-18-2005, 12:55 AM
I don't mind the check here.. You're hand is almost certainly good. If you force him all in on his draw he could very well fold. Your ideal situation here is that somehow the 4 helped him (unlikely) or that he is indeed on a flush draw and will hit it on the river. IMHO it's unlikely you could have dragged more out of him without him rivering whatever his draw was (likely the flush).

TheTimeIsUp
06-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Got to bet to make him fish more. And, if he hits his draw, he will pay you nearly every time.

Harv72b
06-18-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The flop call made me think he was on a flush draw. Now, knowing this, is the best move to check (like the flop bet was a continuation bet) and induce a bluff or bet again and make him pay for his draw. I think this is one of my biggest problems. Any help is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

With position, I don't mind checking through to induce a river bluff. But OOP, as you are in this hand, you can't be sure enough that he'll bet a blank river to check it to him, and you obviously can't be sure he'd call even a small value bet on the river either, so might as well bet while he thinks he's still drawing.

jgodin
06-18-2005, 02:11 AM
How about a small turn bet, something like 75? Unusual, yes, but this bet can work for you in a few ways

1) He might sense weakness on your part and push his flush draw w/ overcard(s) (not a great play, but I've seen worse online)

2) If he doesn't push, he will still be tempted to continue with his flush draw (a likely holding) because of the great pot odds you are offering

3) You could still get paid off on the river (assuming he stays in the hand and hits his flush)

Besides, if he is that afraid of the board pairing on 4th street not to call the 75 to chase his flush, how much would he put in the pot on the river if he makes the flush?

I'm not saying the turn check is wrong (it might even be the best play), but I'm just throwing this out there for conversation

asswasp
06-18-2005, 11:42 AM
You definitely need to bet the turn. If you suspect he is on a flush draw then you want to make him pay you something to see the 5th card, because the most likely scenario is that it will be blank and he will fold on the river. Make as big a bet as you think will get called.

DarrenX
06-18-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about a small turn bet, something like 75? Unusual, yes, but this bet can work for you in a few ways

1) He might sense weakness on your part and push his flush draw w/ overcard(s) (not a great play, but I've seen worse online)

2) If he doesn't push, he will still be tempted to continue with his flush draw (a likely holding) because of the great pot odds you are offering

3) You could still get paid off on the river (assuming he stays in the hand and hits his flush)

Besides, if he is that afraid of the board pairing on 4th street not to call the 75 to chase his flush, how much would he put in the pot on the river if he makes the flush?

I'm not saying the turn check is wrong (it might even be the best play), but I'm just throwing this out there for conversation

[/ QUOTE ]

deamn- you took my line of thinking... but again, the check looks like you did your standard continuation bet and slowed gave up when he called. Either way...