PDA

View Full Version : FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS IN 2 MONTHES!!!

Jules22
06-17-2005, 11:11 PM
or something like that. anyway predictions go here, i think both of the teams that went to the superbowl have a good shot to make it back, barring holdouts or injuries etc. what i want here is dark horse picks and overrated.

NFC darkhorse - the vikings because they signed so many defensive helpers and still have most of the amazing offense they had last year. sure losing moss hurts, but seriously this team had a terrific offseason. honorable mention goes to the cardinals if kurt warner can resurrect his flagging career, and they are in a horrible division.

NFC overrated - cant think of any at this moment, maybe the seahawks, who didnt seem to get any better but will probably still be the pick in the nfc west

AFC Dark Horse - The ravens, who signed some good replacements on defense and a good wideout, with the return of a healthy jamal lewis could very well unseat the steelers in the afc north

AFC overrated - The jets, who didnt seem to do anything besides release their kicker and lost their future running back to free agency. oh right, they traded one wideout for another. cant see them making the playoffs again in a crowded crowded afc where they will probably have to get a wild card to get in since they are in the same division with the pats

well, lets get this forum off on the right foot! lets hear your picks

IndieMatty
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Please refer to 2002 Chad and Coles numbers. Jets will unseat the Pats. Edit: Also, "lose their future running back" how the hell would you suggest they keep him? Pay 6 mil a year for a backup? Or release the AFC's leading rusher?

kasey2004
06-17-2005, 11:43 PM
not sure what a monthe is but ...

NFC i like the Vikings to actually do something this year and i have hope for my falcons.

AFC Ravens also look good, cant imagine the pats will roll over and die either.

lets hear some more i basically agreed with the original post but i was thinkng the same thing

Jakesta
06-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Bills win the AFC East.

kasey2004
06-17-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jets will unseat the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]

hm... interesting theory... not gonna happen though

BadBoyBenny
06-17-2005, 11:54 PM
I don't think either of your dark horse picks fit the definition. They are probably the two conventional picks for most improved teams.

IMO The overrated teams are the Colts, Packers, Chargers, and the Vikings.

If you feel like going out on a limb pick one of the following - Texans, Raiders, Chiefs, Cowboys, Bucs, or Saints

Here are the teams that missed last year's playoffs that should not be in the running for dark horse because the mainstream media thinks they will improve or be playoff contenders.

AFC
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Baltimore
Bengals

NFC
Vikings
Panthers

Here is Benny's playoff prediction

AFC division champs

East - Pats 12-4
South - Colts 11-5
North - Ravens 11-5
West - Cheifs 10-6

WildCards

Steelers 11-5
Buffalo 10-6

NFC dvision champs

East Philly 12-4
North Vikings 9-7
South Panthers 11-5
West Rams 9-7

Wild Cards

Falcons 10-6
Saints 9-7

PhatTBoll
06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Well, you didn't exactly go out on a limb with your dark horses. Here's mine:

NFC: Giants. The latest Manning clone will be much improved, and Coughlin has had some time to figure out which guys will buy into his system. The O-line will make or break them.

AFC: The Bengals have drafted really well the past couple years, and I expect Lewis to translate all that good young talent into a playoff berth. Besides, it's about time something newsworthy happened in Cincinnati.

Overrateds:
NFC: Packers. Brett Favre is a year older and he continues to destroy his team in big games. They didn't make any big changes to a horrible D, and the NFC North is becoming less of a cakewalk.

AFC: Denver. There will be serious questions about Shanahan's job security as the season progresses.

I'm most interested to see how the Patriots do after losing both coordinators. Their in-game adjustments have been a remarkable part of their success, and nobody really knows how much of that was Belichick as opposed to his assistants. I'm also interested to see just how awesome Sunday Ticket is, since this will be my first season having it in my place.

Dan Rutter
06-18-2005, 01:04 AM
I agree with the Vikings pick as a team to watch this season. They should unseat the Packers this season as division champs, and should push deep in the playoffs. There is a lot on the line this year for Tice so he needs a succesful season. I do not think the Packers are overrated anywhere outside the state of WI. Does anyone expect a deep playoff push from them? Depending on who Losman and Boller mature the Bills, and Ravens could be two very interesting teams this season in the AFC.

blatz
06-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Stinks that the year the Saints are finally going to the Superbowl, it's going to be in Detroit. I don't even have a winter jacket.

jgunnip
06-18-2005, 02:18 AM
Mike Williams for ROY

and i agree that the Super Bowl in Detroit was the worst idea the NFL has ever had.

Momo
06-18-2005, 03:01 AM
Chargers SuperBowl Champs. Done.

adios
06-18-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not think the Packers are overrated anywhere outside the state of WI. Does anyone expect a deep playoff push from them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even people in Wisconsin are expecting a great season from the Pack as far as I can tell. You basically echoed my thoughts, how can the Packers be overrated if nobody has high expectations? The Packers will be better on 'D' this year this year because they couldn't be much worse. I predict the Javon Walker holdout will be very detremental. The Vikings should rule this year in that division. Kevin Williams is flat out the best defensive tackle in the NFL FWIW and now he's got more help. Culpepper had a great year that should have quieted his critics. Offensive line is very good; the corps of running backs is at least decent and if Michael Bennett stays healthy the running game could be great. Nate Burleson and Marcus Robinson are very capable receivers. Kelly Campbell and Travis Taylor aren't bad either as Campbell IMO has shown alot of potential. I don't root for the Vikings (go Packers) and I hate the Vikings playing indoors in the Metrodome but I have to call em as I see em. Randy who?????

tbach24
06-18-2005, 12:26 PM
AFC:
East: Pats 13-3
North: Ravens 12-4
South: Colts 12-4
West: Chargers 11-5
WC: Jets 11-5
WC: Steelers 11-5

NFC:
East: Eagles 14-2
North: Lions 10-6
South: Falcons 12-4
West: Seahawks 10-6
WC: Giants 9-7
WC: Packers 10-6

Teams to watch out for:
Cincinatti
Buffalo
Cowboys
Bears
Texans

I can't wait to watch Oakland, Moss-Porter-Curry is going to be an amazing WR combo.

dawade
06-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Jets should make the playoffs again, because although they didn't have a HUGE offseason they really didn't need one. Pennington is their only major question mark. Can he stay healthy/throw well after surgery.

RB is lock solid for at least this year. C-Mart still pulling his weight at that age is remarkable, but what else should we expect from the most underrated RB in the NFL?

WR is much better with Coles in the lineup over Moss. Moss was short and explosive, but a better PR man than he was a WR. Coles is a legit target (as he showed last time he was in NY). Cotchery, McCareins is a solid #2 WR.

TE Jets got a huge uprgrade in veteran Doug Jolley from the Raiders. He will make big plays and from what I read play almost like a big WR instead of a traditional TE role.

O-Line is weakest link on the team by far, but they have gelled as the season has went along before.

D-Line will be solid as usual with Abraham, D-Rob, and Ellis.

LB will be more experienced as my man VIIIIIILMA looks to make an even bigger splash in his sophomore year. (That boy is sick.)

DB's are looking good, Justin Miller is especially solid for a rookie. He will most likely return kicks/punts with WR Jonathan Carter.

Also, Ty Law may sign in the coming weeks so things are looking up for GANG GREEN!

dawade
06-19-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait to watch Oakland, Moss-Porter-Curry is going to be an amazing WR combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Detroit has some nice WR's too. Rogers, Williams, Williams. YOUNG WR corps.

McGahee
06-20-2005, 05:37 PM
I kept waiting for the Jets defense to come down to earth last year but it never really happened. The fact that they're young leads me to believe they'll be good again.

Jax and KC will disapoint all of the teams calling them "sleepers". The Jags were 2 miracles away from 7-9 last year and what proven player did the Chiefs add other than Patrick Surtain? Sammy Knight & Kendrell Bell = blah.

Vikings = real deal. That team has 'Ewing Theory' written all over them, although I'm starting to think too many people are picking them.

sublime
06-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Jets will unseat the Pats.

are you talking about a local pop warner league?

ddollevoet
06-21-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stinks that the year the Saints are finally going to the Superbowl, it's going to be in Detroit. I don't even have a winter jacket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they decide to end the season in November this year? I didn't hear that.

hoopsie44
06-21-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the Saints are finally going to the Superbowl

[/ QUOTE ]

Just reading that is bizarre.

tbach24
06-21-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Detroit has some nice WR's too. Rogers, Williams, Williams. YOUNG WR corps.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll be fun too. Curry's catch last season (one arm extended way up) is the best catch I've ever seen. Porter was lights out towards the end and Moss is the best player in the NFL. Should be great. I love the NFL.