PDA

View Full Version : Mad trouble w/ AQ

JoeyT
01-18-2003, 07:02 AM
OK... I've realized that I cannot play this hand.

Does everyone open raise w/ this in early? How about raising after a limper or two in middle to late?

How do you play the flop when a king hits (as it always does when you have AQ)?

Sorry its such a general question... its just been giving me a ton of trouble lately.

calvin
01-18-2003, 03:47 PM
JoeyT,

I always open raise with AQs in any position I am in. If I have AQo, I always open raise if I am the first one in, and, depending on the game and the players who have limped in behind me, I would say I raise about 90% of the time with AQo in middle to late position.

If there have been a few limpers, I rarely decide to limp in, especially if I have AQs. Depending on the hands that the limpers may limp in with though, I may consider limping in with AQo in later positions after many players have entered the hand.

If I raised preflop, I am checked to, and a king hits, I usually bet it. If I am bet into when a K hits, I consider my opponent, the board, and probably raise about 40% of the time, call 20% of the time, and fold the other 40% of the time.

AQ is probably my most profitable hand, or at least it seems that way. I usually hit the flop pretty well with it, or I catch up with a big draw. It is a good hand, but you need to be careful of players who may limp with a hand like AK, or when a K flops, of those players who may be playing any K, especially if for some reason you decide to limp in. For these reasons, I think a preflop raise is not only correct because of the strength of your hand, but to also help sort out some of the hands the other players will be playing with. Just keep in mind, if you raise a few limpers from middle position, they will almost always call another single bet to see the flop, mediocre holdings or not.

I feel much more comfortable open raising with AQ of any kind, but, I will also put in a third bet with position, or if a loose raiser was the one who made it two bets, either to trap some limpers, or as an isolation raise.

Calvin

Georgia Peach
01-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Here is a URL to an Andy Glazer article on this very subject:

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/archives/glazer05.htm

Ed Miller
01-18-2003, 07:36 PM
I just read the article, and I don't think it is very helpful. The whole point of the article, it seems, is "AQ sucks." I could write a similar article about JJ... it would go something like this, "JJ wins a lot of money against against weaker players who will call you down with any pair, but against better players, you'd better make a big hand with it or expect to lose a lot of money. JJ is in big trouble against hands like AA-QQ and can leave you guessing if you play it out of position against someone with overcards. You will likely win a small pot or lose a big pot with JJ. In fact, I just played online and got JJ seven times in a row. I lost every time except one... where I stole the blinds. Doesn't that suck?"

Having just written my JJ article... I think I'm going to revise my assessment of Glazer's article... I think I was too generous when I said that I didn't think it was very helpful. He draws no distinction between AQs and AQo... and anyone who didn't know better might conclude after reading his article that he might even advocate just folding AQ preflop.

Clarkmeister
01-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Exactly. FWIW, here is the EV of AQs (which Glazer also disparages) on Pokerroom.com in live games:

Cards - EV in BB's
AA - 2.36
KK - 1.69
QQ - 1.23
JJ - 0.85
AKs - .80
AQs - .61
TT - 0.56
AK - 0.50

Boy, what a pig hand that AQs is. Only the 6th most profitable hand in Holdem.

*rolls eyes*

Ed Miller
01-18-2003, 07:49 PM
I have to go now, but since I trashed Glazer's article, I figured it was my duty to impart at least a few nuggets of wisdom about AQ (to the extent that any of my nuggets are wise).

I open-raise with AQo pretty much every time. I can't think of a good reason to limp in with it... but you have to be wary when you do get 3-bet. AQs is a little more robust, and you can open-raise with it (obviously.. if you can do that with AQo) but limping with it starts to make more sense as well (often with the intention of reraising if raised), especially in early position... as AQs is a much more solid hand against many opponents. First in from MP or LP, I raise with either of these hands basically 100%.

After limpers, I raise basically 100% with AQs. After a couple of limpers, I also raise with AQo... but after four or five limpers on the button, say, I will just limp in with AQo. AQo is looking to make top pair first and foremost, and you would like to be able to raise a bet and limit the field if you hit your hand... whereas if you raise before the flop a) people are more likely to check to you post-flop b) it will be harder to push people off their marginal hands because the pot is bigger. If you are playing against opponents with truly horrible starting hand standards, however... then it may again be worth it to raise with AQo in that situation because you are getting so much preflop equity.

As for how to play AQ when a K hits (and you don't pair)... well, that is a bad flop for your hand. Often you can just fold to any significant flop action, as you are left with only one overcard and a weak backdoor straight draw. With only a few opponents, though, you can toss out a bet if you were the preflop raiser, as many will put you on AK and play accordingly. But don't take this too far... a K is the worst card you can see for AQ, and it significantly damages the value of your hand.

Mike Gallo
01-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Read John Feeney's essay "Do you pass the A Q test".

Then post specific hands and the cast of charcters associated with the hand.

I play AQ offsuit differently than AQ suited. After several limpers I might limp with AQ off suit. I might raise with it suited, it all depends.

I personally like playing AQ when I am the person raising. I hardly will cold call with the hand. I either reraise or fold.

Tyler Durden
01-19-2003, 05:25 PM
I hate getting into "mad trouble" with hands.

If a King flops, you have to represent it so your opponents will give you credit for it. If they check, you bet. If they bet, you raise.

Louie Landale
01-19-2003, 05:41 PM
AQ is MUCH better when YOU raise and THEY call then when THEY raise and YOU call. In the first case you are very likely to dominate THEM with AJ or KQ, and in the second you can easily be dominated with AA, KK, QQ, or AK.

What to do when you miss? If you ever figure out a GREAT strategy to cover the times you raise before the flop but don't flop a pair .... write a book. Please.

Anyway... often or usually check. Betting is certainly desirable if they are the types of players that will routinely FOLD on the flop, rather than "taking one more card". It may also be desirable if they WILL take one off, but would raise right away if they had anything. Thus you bet the flop figuring to steal on the turn.

There is no shame in raising B4 the flop, then not putting in any more money. In fact, you NEED to do that ..err.. appear to do that "regularly" enough to give power to the times you DO bet no-pair on the flop.

- Louie