PDA

View Full Version : Literature~=philosphy?? Moliere vs. Aristophenes

DcifrThs
06-17-2005, 10:25 PM
fav playwrite?..clearly they are from way different periods and aristophenes was way more than a playwrite. but for the most part, aristophenes critiqued the authorities and inter-state warfare whereas moliere spent more time writing on social curiosities, realities, as well as morality (of which aristophenes wrote about but not in play form-for the most part)

anyways, you're choice:

-Barron

Note you can view the results, so if you do not know either or, or both then just view the results w/o currupting the poll.

DcifrThs
06-18-2005, 10:13 PM
haha, moliere wins 6:2...

philosophically aristophenes is probably better but as a playwrite i think moliere is way more entertaining.

-Barron

Cyrus
06-22-2005, 02:30 AM
I voted Aristophanes because you really can't improve on Lysistrata, for example. I mean, the concept of women from both warring sides refusing sex to men until warfare is stopped - what else is there to say?

[ QUOTE ]
Aristophenes was way more than a playwrite. ...Morality of which Aristophenes wrote about but not in play form - for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you are confusing Aristophanes with Aristotle ? I am not aware of anything beyond the plays that Aristophanes wrote.

Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristophanes)