PDA

View Full Version : Q4 suited in BB flops Big draw.

dozer
06-17-2005, 08:38 PM
UTG is somewhat tight player, so his utg raise usually means he has a hand so we can narrow his range of hands to solid holdings,

Button is semi loose, and very aggressive. So his flop raise doesn't necesarily mean he has a huge hand since he just limped on the button, he could be raising a draw.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>...

Pre-flop call is standard.

How is the flop 3-bet though? I really think it was the wrong play, because I risk folding out other players and I don't see any outs I need cleaning.

Is there any value to 3-betting this flop. I checked planning on checkraising the field at first, but when someone has already done the raising for you is it worth it to 3-bet in a pot this size, even if it risks losing customers?

My thought process up to when button raised, was if UTG has over cards, I don't mind folding him out because my pair might already be the best hand and there is a decent chance that the aggressive button could be raising a draw and if I get it heads up with him my 4's might win at showdown unimproved. Is my thinking flawed?

Raza
06-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Looks fine to me. Button is most likely calling, if UTG calls, you are making money with your pair and flush draw, if he folds you are improving your pot equity. Same for CO.

TredWel
06-17-2005, 11:41 PM
With 14 outs, my quick calculations show you have over 50% chance of improving before the river, so 3-betting is +EV even if only Button calls. If UTG or CO come along for the ride, so much the better.