PDA

View Full Version : 2nd with 11 left, out in 11th. Did I play too fast?

grengrad
06-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I know I got bad beat, and I think the answer is no, but I would love to hear a diverging opinion.

1st has about 45BB, 2nd-6th all have 36-28BB, 7-9th have 18-14BB, and 10th and 11th both have 2-3BB.

I was 2nd in chips with 36BB, with 11 left out of approximately 400 players.
1st pays ~90 Buyins, 9th pays ~9 buyins, 10-18th pays ~5 buyins.

I have been raising hard over everyone and bullying the table. I have shown a propensity to gamble at this table, even though I really have been only doing this with monsters or with short stacks, but my table image is very loose/crazy and people are just looking for opportunities to criple me. A few people have slow played monsters against me trying to get me to steal against them, but I have dodged their traps. I have done a lot of preflop raising, even against other big stacks.

Villan is 5th in chips at 30BB, is in MP and has shown herself to be very tight over the last half hour.

(5 players at our table)
Preflop:
UTG opens the pot with a limp.
Villan raises to 5BB, with JJ.
Button folds.
SB folds.
Hero is in the BB and reraises allin to 36BB, with AA.
UTG folds.
Villan calls allin for 25BB more.
Hero gets 6BB back.

Board: Q 4 5 J 8
Villan wins the pot and now has 61.5BB.
Hero is left with 6BB.

The next hand I have KQ and I limp in my SB vs QQ limped from the button. The flop comes KQx, I push and bust 11th.

Questions:
1. Do you think I should have played my aces a little slower? I was pretty confident I would get a call playing them wrecklessly like that. I would say I was better then most players at the table, but I do not think I am good enough to get too many chances to take a commanding chip lead as an 81% favorite. I would love to hear any arguements with regards to how my tournament equity would change depending on if I just called instead of pushing. Pushing was hugely +EV, but also has a large level of deviation with it. I think I would play it for a raise everytime in the future, unless someone else has a good case not to.

2. On the second hand: How many would of tried to fold into 9th for almost twice the prize of 10th and 11th. Or how many would limp with KQ in their SB and then push with 5BB into a 3BB pot, assuming any Kx or Qx will call the short stack? I would love to hear any arguements over equity on this, as I think it is far easier to argue either way, unlike the first hand.

Thanks for your opinions.

whiskeytown
06-17-2005, 08:59 PM
you got bad beated - you didn't play too fast - if you were certain you wanted a call.

Let's not forget, with AA, you want callers, and you got one - the face he hit a 4-1 draw sucks, but you want that to happen most of the time

grengrad
06-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I agree, but I was hoping for a diverging opinion. Any opinion on the second hand Whiskey?

P.S. I do not care that I got bad beat, but I have nothing better to do at work, but think about last nights hands. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThrillFactor
06-17-2005, 09:53 PM
You've got to be kidding, right?

And don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

Jax_Grinder
06-17-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think I should have played my aces a little slower? I was pretty confident I would get a call playing them wrecklessly like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER, engage in this line of thinking again, you will be a better player.

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing was hugely +EV, but also has a large level of deviation with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the extent that this makes any sense, it is quite incorrect (relatively speaking).

Your question about the second hand may be even worse. You have 6BB and flop a monster, you push - there is NO other option. Anyone who suggests you play this differently is suggesting you play scared poker. FWIW, I never stop playing poker just to move up a low spot or two. Top 3 are the only prizes worth shooting for.

BBP?