PDA

View Full Version : Diet Coke Taste Test

Ulysses
06-17-2005, 07:52 PM
I bought a can/bottle of each of these from the corner store today and tried them all out:

Diet Coke
Diet Coke w/ Splenda
Coke Zero

Diet Coke, as always, had a crappy chemicalish aftertaste.

Diet Coke w/ Splenda tasted sweeter and more like sugar without that aftertaste, but still kinda sucked.

Coke Zero tasted a little more like regular coke and also tasted more like sugar than Diet Coke, but still kinda sucked.

Overall, I thought all three drinks pretty much sucked. I am going to stick w/ my plan of just not drinking soda.

Los Feliz Slim
06-17-2005, 08:04 PM
I am an avid consumer of Diet Coke, and recently conducted a similar test. Coke Zero indeed tasted the least bad. However, since I drink Diet Coke because I am addicted to it, not because I enjoy it, I will be sticking with my chemically Diet Coke. You are wise to keep this monkey off your back.

webgator
06-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Have you tried the Pepsi One?

I like it much better than the Diet Coke w/Splenda.

Either way, I'm usually drinking Diet Mt Dew anyways...

Sponger15SB
06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
You should have done a blind taste test.

Ulysses
06-17-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We did.

brassnuts
06-17-2005, 08:41 PM
If you like sprite, I suggest Sprite Zero or Diet Sprite. Both are good diet sodas.

Sponger15SB
06-17-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you like sprite, I suggest Sprite Zero or Diet Sprite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also if you like beer, try this...

http://www.simpsonloft.net/dandp/duff/duffzero.jpg

Malachii
06-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Is diet mountain dew good? Obviously a subjective question, but I drink 2-3 cokes a day and it's catching up with me if you know what I'm sayin'... Would like to start drinking diet something if it's not horrible.

brassnuts
06-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Oh yeah, iced tea is g00t.

imported_CaseClosed326
06-17-2005, 09:46 PM
<======================Duh

Cubswin
06-17-2005, 10:07 PM
try pinching your nose while doing the blind taste test. since something like 85% of taste is actually determined by smell, you wont have a chance at telling the differnece between them.

cubs

Sponger15SB
06-17-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try pinching your nose while doing the blind taste test. since something like 85% of taste is actually determined by smell, you wont have a chance at telling the differnece between them.

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

So then what would be the point of doing a taste test if you can't taste it?

HopeydaFish
06-17-2005, 10:19 PM
I really dislike Diet Coke. As Diablo stated, it tastes chemically. I don't mind Diet Pepsi, though...I find it tastes similar to regular Pepsi...which isn't altogether good, but at least it's not chemically.

thatpfunk
06-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Arnold Palmers owns regular iced tea.

Cubswin
06-17-2005, 10:21 PM
good point /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i just wanted to poimt out that when people say that something tastes bad... more then likely, it actually smells unappealing to them.

cubs

scotty34
06-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Does that new Coke 2 exist in the US? It claims to have half the sugar and calories of original Coke, but it tastes identical.

Edge34
06-18-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that stuff like Iced Tea + Lemonade or something? Tried it at the Lion's Tap (Eden Prairie, MN) and loved the stuff, but can't find it at any stores around here for some reason...

Sponger15SB
06-18-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that stuff like Iced Tea + Lemonade or something? Tried it at the Lion's Tap (Eden Prairie, MN) and loved the stuff, but can't find it at any stores around here for some reason...

[/ QUOTE ]

This website (http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/) has information on whats in an Arnold Palmer

Edge34
06-18-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This website (http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/) has information on whats in an Arnold Palmer

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sponge, that's cool. Never would've thought of that. Especially funny if I'm right and you're just being a douche, right? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Can't google that, now can I?

Piiop
06-18-2005, 01:09 AM
So, did your whole taste test determined that Diet Coke sucks? Cuz I could've just told you that.

Not drinking pop/soda is good, but you can't base your decision of not drinking soda on just Diet Coke.

Benholio
06-18-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sponge, that's cool. Never would've thought of that. Especially funny if I'm right and you're just being a douche, right? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Can't google that, now can I?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=I%27m+right+a nd+you%27re+just+being+a+douche&btnG=Search)

Diplomat
06-18-2005, 01:31 AM
How about Diet Water?

-Diplomat

Nottom
06-18-2005, 04:43 AM
After trying the Coke Zero last week, I bought a Diet Coke w/Splenda yesterday while wondering around Target.

I actually thought it was pretty good for a diet drink (better than coke zero and much better than normal diet coke). I might be better off just avoiding soda all together but I think I could handle drinking the splenda coke when I had a soda craving.

Nottom
06-18-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is diet mountain dew good? Obviously a subjective question, but I drink 2-3 cokes a day and it's catching up with me if you know what I'm sayin'... Would like to start drinking diet something if it's not horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Diet Mt Dew is one of the worst diet drinks I tried. Diet Dr Pepper, Diet Sprit/Sprite Zero, and Coke w/Splenda (and to a lesser degree Coke Zero) are really the only diet drinks I thought were even bearable.

Nottom
06-18-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does that new Coke 2 exist in the US? It claims to have half the sugar and calories of original Coke, but it tastes identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it tasted as bad as Diet Coke with lots more calories.

thatpfunk
06-18-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Isn't that stuff like Iced Tea + Lemonade or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly and it is excellent...

I make it anytime I find myself in a fastfood restaurant and I believe it is sold in cartons.

TylerD
06-18-2005, 07:02 AM
drink Pepsi Max, it will solve all your 'soda' related problems.

KaneKungFu123
06-18-2005, 09:54 AM
why not try exercising and staying in shape and eating anything you want in a balanced diet?

Blarg
06-18-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's like asking a Muslim if he's tried the Talmud. Coke and Pepsi drinkers are natural mortal enemies, and usually find it impossible to freely switch between one and the other. The tastes are just too different. Pepsi is much sweeter.

Blarg
06-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm finding Arizona Iced Teas a nice substitute for coke sometimes.

They don't have the carbonation or anywhere near the caffeine, but they're also very good and satisfying.

edtost
06-18-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Isn't that stuff like Iced Tea + Lemonade or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly and it is excellent...

I make it anytime I find myself in a fastfood restaurant and I believe it is sold in cartons.

[/ QUOTE ]

half+half from nantucket nectars is like a bajillion times better than any of the others.

GoblinMason (Craig)
06-18-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Coke Zero

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf is that?

(seriously, I haven't heard of it.)

-Craig

The Armchair
06-18-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We did.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should do a triangle test.

Take two of the drinks and three plastic cups. Fill #1 and #2 with Drink A and fill #3 with Drink B. Mix up the cups.

Drink each cup with water in between. See if you can tell which drink is the different one. You'll probably have only about a 33% success rate -- that is, no better than pure luck.

waffle
06-18-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Coke Zero

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf is that?

(seriously, I haven't heard of it.)

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Summary of Coke's diet/low-cal line:

C2 - Classic Coke taste w/ about half corn syrup, half artificial sweetners (both Splenda and Aspartame are used).
Diet Coke - New Coke taste w/ Aspartame
Diet Coke w/ Splenda - New Coke taste w/ Splenda
Coke Zero - Classic Coke taste w/ Aspartame

Sponger15SB
06-18-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why not try exercising and staying in shape and eating anything you want in a balanced diet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wonder this when I see people on incredibly shitty diets. They'll go to great lengths to eat horrible no/low carb food and then sit on their lazy asses all day.

Alex/Mugaaz
06-19-2005, 07:45 PM
DIET COKE WITH LIME

There is no further discussion needed. This is the absolute nectar of the Gods.

Blarg
06-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Is that a drink or a violation of the Genevea convention?

imported_CaseClosed326
06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's like asking a Muslim if he's tried the Talmud. Coke and Pepsi drinkers are natural mortal enemies, and usually find it impossible to freely switch between one and the other. The tastes are just too different. Pepsi is much sweeter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, when people say there is no difference I have to punch them in the gut. Or if I am at a resturaunt and I order a diet coke, and get pepsi I have to spit it in the wait person's face and berate them for a couple of minutes.

The Stranger
06-19-2005, 08:08 PM
So if you go to Coco's or something (I know the food isn't the best, but its better than Denny's when its late and you're hungry), order a Diet Coke, and the waitress asks, "Is a Diet Pepsi okay?" what do you do?

Water, iced tea, juice?

colgin
06-19-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Diet Coke w/ Splenda tasted sweeter and more like sugar without that aftertaste, but still kinda sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw this today. I detest all things Splenda so I will be passing on this.

[ QUOTE ]
Overall, I thought all three drinks pretty much sucked. I am going to stick w/ my plan of just not drinking soda.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, of course, a good plan. However, if I was going to drink a cola soda (I personally prefer diet ginger ale), it would be Pepsi One. The only reason I don't drink it anymore is that I am caffeine intolerant. Tastes pretty good though.

Nottom
06-20-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I detest all things Splenda so I will be passing on this.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

This is, of course, a good plan. However, if I was going to drink a cola soda (I personally prefer diet ginger ale), it would be Pepsi One. The only reason I don't drink it anymore is that I am caffeine intolerant. Tastes pretty good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 99% sure Pepsi One is made with Splenda.

Ulysses
06-20-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it was the 1%. I just looked up the ingredients. Looks like the sweeteners are aspartame and acesulfame potassium (Ace-K), not Splenda (sucralose).

Ulysses
06-20-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get a little older, you'll find that even with exercise, it becomes tougher to stay in really good shape without paying more attention to your diet than you had to when you were younger. Enjoy it for now though, kid.

Subfallen
06-20-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is that a drink or a violation of the Genevea convention?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Rick Nebiolo
06-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Can't help you with the test - I hardly ever drink soda, water straight from the tap is good enough for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

What do you think of Splenda?

I drink a couple of cups of herbal tea late at night (morning coffee is light with no sweetener) and started using Splenda instead of sugar or honey when I went on Atkins . I think it is by far the closest thing to sugar in taste and even though I'm off Atkins (although I still eat a lot less white starch then I used to) I stuck with using Splenda.

~ Rick

ethan
06-20-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it tasted as bad as Diet Coke with lots more calories.

[/ QUOTE ]

It tastes suspiciously like a 1:1 mix of Diet Coke and regular Coke. Which of course makes it awful, because it's more than 0% Diet Coke.

AEKDBet
06-20-2005, 05:30 AM
Arizona Diet Green Tea > All diet soda's

on_thg
06-20-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, it was the 1%. I just looked up the ingredients. Looks like the sweeteners are aspartame and acesulfame potassium (Ace-K), not Splenda (sucralose).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that Pepsi One was recently reformulated to use a combination of Splenda(sucralose) and Ace-K instead of aspartame.

The Diet Coke with Splenda is okay, but not great. I was all set to buy a bottle of Coke Zero to give that a try, but the label says it has aspartame. Any diet drink with aspartame will never taste anything like regular, so [censored] it.

fnord_too
06-20-2005, 08:57 AM
I'd say just avoiding the things is probably best, but IMO the best diet drinks out there are:
Diet Cherry Coke (hands down best)
Diet Coke with Lemon (good)
Diet Vanilla Coke (nice change of pace, used to be my favorite before they came out with diet cherry)

I haven't tried coke zero yet.

bogey
06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Diet Mt Dew is one of the worst diet drinks I tried. Diet Dr Pepper, Diet Sprit/Sprite Zero, and Coke w/Splenda (and to a lesser degree Coke Zero) are really the only diet drinks I thought were even bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drink diet Mt. Dew almost religiously. I think its the best diet soda out there.

Shajen
06-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Diablo,

About a year ago, I decided to stop drinking regular drinks, coke, pepsi, Dr Pepper, etc.

I didn't drink any caffeinated beverage at all for about two weeks.

Then I found Diet IBC rootbeer and Diet Dr Pepper.

It's been ON since then.

Diet IBC is teh awesome. Diet DP is really good, and my regular drink of choice.

If you haven't, I recommend trying these out.

Nottom
06-20-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For once I have to say you are wrong O' Masked One. Pepsi One was relaunched with Splenda earlier the year.

Sodas with Splenda (http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/22/news/fortune500/coke_pepsi/index.htm)

Ulysses
06-20-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For once I have to say you are wrong O' Masked One. Pepsi One was relaunched with Splenda earlier the year.

Sodas with Splenda (http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/22/news/fortune500/coke_pepsi/index.htm)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares, Pepsi sucks! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

(FWIW, I just wrote what I saw here: PepsiOne (http://www.pepsi.com/help/faqs/faq.php?category=pepsi_brands&page=pepsi_one) )