PDA

View Full Version : Blind defence with 33 - lost bets or good played?

Akimka
06-17-2005, 07:49 PM
How would you play it?
Reraise flop? I think it's too risky, but may be c/r turn after second king falls or my c/call is good too?
River - value bet?
More questions than answers indeed...

Opponent is 20/5/3.5 (70 hands on him)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

crunchy1
06-17-2005, 07:53 PM
If you're going to defend with this hand I think you need to 3-bet PF.

damaniac
06-17-2005, 07:58 PM
A turn-checkraise might fold out a smaller pair than Kings some of the time, but it will often fold something like AJ, which has outs against you. If 3-bet, I assume you can fold. I kind of like that line.

3-betting preflop is another idea, sometimes I'd do it, sometimes not.

I feel that most flop bets are being raised, regardless of his holdings. That's why I usually prefer to check-raise, as I think he is less likely to 3-bet me with a worse hand.

chief444
06-17-2005, 07:59 PM
My only issue here is the flop. You know the opponent is going to bet the flop very close to 100% of the time no matter what. So I like to let him and raise if I think I'm good often enough to raise, which you probably are here. It's a pretty typical line to take HU against a pfr and I can't ever think of a good argument against it as long as everyone continues to bet as you expect.

SmileyEH
06-17-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to defend with this hand I think you need to 3-bet PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling preflop is fine. Folding a pair is giving up a lot of EV, and 3betting doesn't make the hand easier to play and sets you up to be in payoff situations. I like checkraising most flops (which I'll do a high percentage of the time with other hands anyway), and going from there.

-SmileyEH

CallMeIshmael
06-17-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling preflop is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

jgorham
06-17-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Calling preflop is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And folding would be downright silly. As for the flop, I prefer a checkraise here. You know he will bet when checked to, and your hand is looking pretty good against his range here.

On the turn I think you can go ahead and bet out, as it will be really hard for him to raise you without a king. Going for a checraise here is too risky, IMO, as that flop raise is often in search of a free card with an Ace.

If the turn wasn't such a scary card, I think you need to keep up the passive line (which sucks), because your goal at this point is to get to showdown as cheaply as possible.

crunchy1
06-17-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling preflop is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's fine but, I don't think optimal.

Viturally every flop that you don't hit a set or a straight draw is going to contain overcards. Likely one of which will be a broadway card that fits right into Hero's stealing range - but will also be scary to him if he didn't hit it. If you take the initiative PF I think you give your self a much greater chance to take the pot down on the flop. I'd much rather take this down on the cheap streets.

damaniac
06-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Well if we check-raise lots of favorable flops (ones with say 1 broadway or a low pair or whatever we deem to be favorable), we put in the same number of bets as 3-betting plus leading. I'm not sure which line is more likely to induce folds, but I feel as though a flop check-raise is scarier, both because it widens your potential range of hands since you just called in the blind, and because if you 3-bet and then lead a raggedy flop, you'll get called a lot more since he won't think the flop hit you (which I think is not ideal given the pot size by that point, we'd like overcards to fold).

crunchy1
06-17-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well if we check-raise lots of favorable flops (ones with say 1 broadway or a low pair or whatever we deem to be favorable), we put in the same number of bets as 3-betting plus leading. I'm not sure which line is more likely to induce folds, but I feel as though a flop check-raise is scarier, both because it widens your potential range of hands since you just called in the blind, and because if you 3-bet and then lead a raggedy flop, you'll get called a lot more since he won't think the flop hit you (which I think is not ideal given the pot size by that point, we'd like overcards to fold).

[/ QUOTE ]
Good points. I think each line has it's pros and cons which are probably best applied on a situational basis. Other stats like street-by-street aggro #'s and WTSD% would probably help in deciding this.

27offsooot
06-17-2005, 09:21 PM
c/r the frop.