PDA

View Full Version : Can I go 1 week without TV?

IronDragon1
06-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Background: Ever since I can remember I have watched TV at least 3 hours a day unless I'm traveling or something like that. All last semester, as a result of the fine programming on HBO and terrible yet train-wreck esque programming on Cinemax I bumped this up to about 5 hours which caused all sorts of undesireable effects

Since I came home from school-and the TV in my room was struck by lighting, rendering it useless-I've cut this down to about 1 and a half hours a day with the occassional 3 hour binge.

The challenge: In order to wean myself off of these binges and to prepare myself for life without TV (I won't be bringing one with me to graduate school) I decided to go 1 week without watching TV. Now, I don't consider walking into a room when someone else's TV is on to be a breach of this nor any similar actions which consitute me "watching" TV but not of my own volition and not for any prolonged period of time.

If you want to gamble amongst eachother as to whether or not I can do this go ahead.

squeek12
06-17-2005, 05:43 PM
worst poll ever...and it's not even close

eric5148
06-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Easy. Just play poker online for 8 hours a day. Then you'll get sick at the thought of staring at anymore screens.

TStoneMBD
06-17-2005, 07:21 PM
not watching tv for a week is easy if you are preoccupied. in my situation its nearly impossible because the way my computers are setup i have direct line of vision to my 53" widescreen while laying on my recliner. my 2 monitors are on the right side of the recliner so im watching tv while multitabling.

imported_CaseClosed326
06-17-2005, 07:25 PM
That seems like one sweet setup.

RicktheRuler
06-17-2005, 07:35 PM
I didnt vote, but I surely hope so. I almost NEVER watch TV, except for a couple of show (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Chapelle Show, and god forbid "educational programming).

Seriously, TV sucks.

cpitt398
06-17-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't know what you are going to graduate school for, but don't overestimate the difficulty. Your gonna need downtime, and you might haved a lot mor3e thn you anticipated. When I went, the first 2 weeks I was gung ho, after that I had more free time than any other time in my life. Basically just got good at writing 10 page papers in 2-3 hours. Did a 25 page paper in a weekend once. Was pretty good too