PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for the rest of the year

tbach24
06-17-2005, 05:06 PM
Current Standings (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings)

AL East: Baltimore (League Champ)
AL Central: Minnesota
AL West: Texas
AL WC: Boston

NL East: Philadelphia
NL Central: St. Louis (League Champ)
NL West: San Diego
NL Wild Card: Chicago

StL over Chicago
SD over Philadelphia

Texas over Boston
Baltimore over Minnesota

SD over StL
Baltimore over Texas

Baltimore over SD

It pains me to not put the Sox as champions, but I don't see them winning it when Baltimore is so nasty.

If anyone could dig up the preseason thread with all the rankings, that would be greatly appreciated.

Awards:

AL Cy Young: Johan (duh)
NL Cy Young: Pedro
AL MVP: A-Rod (Roberts is slowing down and getting injured..)
NL MVP: Lee (Although Pujols is also strong)

kerssens
06-17-2005, 05:24 PM
I predict that this thread will turn into a debate about the Yankees.

jgunnip
06-17-2005, 05:34 PM
The Tigers will be over .500 at some point in september

bugstud
06-17-2005, 05:37 PM
cubs and stl can't meet in the first round in your scenario. So they go all the way /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

istewart
06-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Having Baltimore winning the World Series is a joke. And no, this is not just because I'm a Yankees fan.

Dead
06-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Baltimore won't even win the division, you tard.

And if you think that the AL East is getting the wild card, you are a [censored] moron.

The White Sox are winning the Central and Minnesota is getting the wild card. The Yanks are winning the AL East and Anaheim is winning the West.

Here's how it's gonna go down:

AL East: Yanks
AL Central: Chicago
AL West: Anaheim
AL WC: Minnesota

NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: St Louis
NL West: Dodgers
NL WC: Marlins

Yanks over Minnesota, Chicago over Anaheim, and Yanks over Chicago. Our offense wil pwn theirs and by then our pitching will be d-nasty as well.

Atlanta over the Dodgers, St Louis over the Marlins, Atlanta over St Louis. St Louis won't be able to handle ATL pitching in a short series. Pujols is a fat cock who will choke in the NLCS.

Yanks over Atlanta in 6, with Mussina facing Smoltz in a pivotal finale.

BWebb
06-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Bonds comes back to pass Ruth this year and the Giants are in playoff contention in September.

SHUT UP DEAD
06-17-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And if you think that the AL East is getting the wild card, you are a [censored] moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy Dead, you have become a real douchebag.

Just shut up.

Los Feliz Slim
06-17-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yanks over Atlanta in 6, with Mussina facing Smoltz in a pivotal finale.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the 2005 Award for Fantasy/Humor Fiction goes to Dead.

Russ McGinley
06-17-2005, 06:38 PM
(Listed by record)

ALE: Baltimore
ALW: Texas
ALC: Minnesota
ALWC: Los Angeles

Baltimore over Los Angeles
Texas over Minnesota

Texas over Baltimore

NLC: St. Louis
NLE: Florida
NLW: San Diego
NLWC: Chicago

St. Louis over San Diego
Chicago over Florida

St. Louis over Chicago

St. Louis over Texas in 6 games

Vince Young
06-17-2005, 06:48 PM
AL East: Baltimore
AL Central: Chicago
AL West: Anaheim
AL WC: Minnesota

NL East: Florida
NL Central: St. Louis
NL West: San Diego
NL Wild Card: Chicago

St. Louis over Florida
Chicago over San Diego

Anaheim over Baltimore
Chicago over Minnesota

Chicago over St. Louis
Anaheim over Chicago

Chicago over Anaheim

AL Cy Young: Garland
NL Cy Young: Willis
AL MVP: Tejada
NL MVP: Lee

Dead
06-17-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy Dead, you have become a real douchebag.

Just shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut up you obese Bostonian.

Dead
06-17-2005, 06:59 PM
You are a fool, Vince.

A-Rod has much better stats than Tejada. A-Rod's BA is only like one point lower, but A-Rod has more HR and RBI.

A-Rod > Tejada, and A-Rod will be the AL MVP.

kerssens
06-17-2005, 07:00 PM
So Dead, which Yankee will win the Cy Young? The ROY?

bugstud
06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unit and Cano?

I think Santana will get the Cy, but what other AL rooks are doing much? Gotay and Cantu?

Dead
06-17-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No Yankee will win the Cy. Randy can't rack up enough wins to make it possible, even though his last two starts have been awesome, including 7 shutout innings against St Louis.

But A-Rod will be AL MVP, and Cano will be AL ROY.

kerssens
06-17-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unit and Cano?

I think Santana will get the Cy, but what other AL rooks are doing much? Gotay and Cantu?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only asked because I've never seen him concede anything to a non-Yankee, but he says the Cy won't be in NY (Bronx at least) so I'll shut up.

Dead
06-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Randy would have had a shot at it had he gotten decent run support. 3.50 ERA on the Yankees should be good for 20 wins, but not this year. He still has an outside shot at it.

Momo
06-17-2005, 07:39 PM
I like the OPers WS predictions, except the Pads will take it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Weatherhead03
06-17-2005, 07:51 PM
These are predictions you know...those stats can change, how about you realize that before you cut him down about his PREDICTIONS.

B00T
06-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Wait 3 more months and I think it will be unanimous that McPherson wins ROY and not Cano.

Jakesta
06-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah that fatty McPherson is sooo impressive, not. Cano hits much better. He owns him in batting average and OPS.

Face it. Cano > McPherson.

pudley4
06-17-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are a fool, Vince.

A-Rod has much better stats than Tejada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, .328/19/58 is so much better than .321/18/54. Get real

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the season ends today, Tejada easily beats A-Rod in MVP voting. And if Baltimore wins the East (or even gets the wild card) and Tejada is near A-Rod in stats, he beats A-Rod.

Jack of Arcades
06-18-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are a fool, Vince.

A-Rod has much better stats than Tejada. A-Rod's BA is only like one point lower, but A-Rod has more HR and RBI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meanwhile, Tejada plays SS while A-Rod pretends to play third base, and Tejada's team leads their division.

Tejada's been better than A-Rod. Roberts has been better than them both. It's close, though.

Jules22
06-18-2005, 01:01 AM
san diego and philadelphia? yuck. san diego is lucky they are in the worst division in baseball or they prolly wouldnt be mentioned for serious post season consideration. philadelphia isnt going to win the nl east, they always self destruct at the end of the season

ThaSaltCracka
06-18-2005, 01:01 AM
word to both Jeff and Jack.

B00T
06-18-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait 3 more months and I think it will be unanimous

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt know you could see into the [censored] future Dead #2. Not now, but he has more potential than Cano to be a stud in the MLB.

Jack of Arcades
06-18-2005, 05:16 AM
The top 5 in each award according to VORP (Value Over Replacement Player, Replacement meaning 30% below average).

NL MVP
1. Derrek Lee: 56.6
2. Bobby Abreu: 42.4
3. Albert Pujols: 38.2
4. Carlos Delgado: 36.2
5. Jason Bay: 31.0

AL MVP
1. Brian Roberts: 42.1
2. Miguel Tejada: 41.9
3. Alex Rodriguez: 39.1
4. David Ortiz: 29.0
5. Jason Varitek: 27.0

NL Cy Young
1. Roger Clemens: 41.2
2t. Dontrelle Willis: 35.8
2t. Brett Myers: 35.8
4. Pedro Martinez: 33.0
5. Mark Redman: 29.9

AL Cy Young
1. Roy Halladay: 41.2
2. Kenny Rogers: 35.0
3. Mark Buehrle: 28.9
4. Johan Santana: 27.3
5. Bartolo Colon: 25.4

NL ROY
1. Clint Barmes: 20.1
2. Jason Ellison: 13.6
3. Lance Cormier: 13.3
4. Ryan Church: 12.4
5. Wilson Betemit: 9.6

AL ROY
1. Gustavo Chacin: 23.3
2. Chis Young: 22.8
3. Joe Mauer: 17.5
4. Jesse Crain: 15.2
5. Huston Street: 14.6

tbach24
06-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Wow, didn't even realize Tejada was dominating so much. I change him to my AL MVP.

If Young qualifies as a rookie, I see no way he won't win AL ROY, he is NASTY.

pudley4
06-18-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm 99% sure Mauer isn't eligible for ROY.

sublime
06-18-2005, 12:04 PM
cano is a stud. he has a .301 OBP ya know.

hahahahahha

tbach24
06-18-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having Baltimore winning the World Series is a joke. And no, this is not just because I'm a Yankees fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have (when Bedard gets back) two great SP (Bedard and Chen), a great setupman/closer (Julio/Ryan) and a VERY potent offense (Roberts, Tejada, and Mora at 1/2/3 is tops).

06-18-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have (when Bedard gets back) two great SP (Bedard and Chen), a great setupman/closer (Julio/Ryan) and a VERY potent offense (Roberts, Tejada, and Mora at 1/2/3 is tops).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not go overboard please. Bruce Chen is far from a great pitcher. He may be having a nice year, but it's quite a leap to call him "great" just yet. He is, after all, on his 8th team in 5 years.

tbach24
06-18-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not go overboard please. Bruce Chen is far from a great pitcher. He may be having a nice year, but it's quite a leap to call him "great" just yet. He is, after all, on his 8th team in 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, then they have 3 solid SPs to join Bedard who was nasty before getting injured and I'd think this extra time off is just to make sure he's back to normal when he gets back.

masse75
06-18-2005, 01:01 PM
*** Y0u 4r3 16n0r1n6 7h15 u53r ***

DougOzzzz
06-18-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have (when Bedard gets back) two great SP (Bedard and Chen),

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling either of these guys great is laughable. Especially Chen. The O's offense has been spectacular so far, and if they win the division that is going to be the reason. However, do you really think Roberts and Tejada are going to keep up this TORRID pace? Roberts, certainly not, but even Tejada is hitting WAY beyond his previous career bests.

Baltimore's lead has shrunk to 2 just games over Boston. While Baltimore's lead is NOT just luck (unlike the White Sox lead over Minnesota), they are not likely to continue playing as well as they have been. Boston on the other hand should play a little better the rest of the way. I think the Sox are the favorites at this point, but not by alot.

BigD226
06-18-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Baltimore's lead has shrunk to 2 just games over Boston. While Baltimore's lead is NOT just luck (unlike the White Sox lead over Minnesota), they are not likely to continue playing as well as they have been. Boston on the other hand should play a little better the rest of the way. I think the Sox are the favorites at this point, but not by alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the problems the Sox have had, they're still 8 games over .500 and just 2 games out from overachieving Baltimore. Foulke and Manny are finally coming around. A lot will depend on Schilling, but the Sox have to be the favorites right now.

One more thing...of the last 36 games this season, 24 will be in Fenway. That's going to be huge.

AL East: Boston
Central: Chicago
West: Los Angeles/Anaheim/California
Wild Card: Minnesota

NL East: the NATS! /images/graemlins/cool.gif
Central: St. Louis
West: San Diego
Wild Card: Florida

sublime
06-18-2005, 02:17 PM
no way. the NYY win the AL east. i mean have you not seen the way they have played to this point? team is solid! and cano? dude has a .301 OBP and his presence keeps womack in the lineup. great managing right there by torre!

tbach24
06-18-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no way. the NYY win the AL east. i mean have you not seen the way they have played to this point? team is solid! and cano? dude has a .301 OBP and his presence keeps womack in the lineup. great managing right there by torre!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention Jeter's spin moves

sublime
06-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Not to mention Jeter's spin moves

jeter has been taking dance classes lately and will be spinning like a mofo come crunch time!

DougOzzzz
06-18-2005, 02:27 PM
You may call me insane, but here are my predictions:

AL East: Boston edges Baltimore
AL Central: Minnesota pulls away at the end, ChiSox play sub .500 ball the rest of the way.
AL West: Texas wins the division with no more than 83-87 wins.
Wild Card: ChiSox collapse leaves Baltimore with the WC. Yankees make a late run but fall short as well.

NL East:
Washington finishes in last place. Coin flipping tournament determines the rest of the division standings.
NL Central:
That team from st. louis.
NL West:
Padres, with <88 wins.

Wild Card:
Cubs or the 2nd place team from the coin flippers.

No team from either West division wins 88 games. No team in baseball wins 100 games (Cards come closest, at 98). Derrek Lee does not win the NL MVP. Ozzie Guillen does not win AL Manager of the Year, and further, upon reviewing his pathetic career, is banned from managing, coaching, watching, or talking about baseball for the rest of his life. Or better yet, he is hired to replace Joe Torre and transforms the Yankees into a "small ball" team with Tony Womack leading off and stealing 100 bases in 175 tries.

sublime
06-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Tony Womack leading off and stealing 100 bases in 175 tries.

u think he gets on base next year 175 times?

DougOzzzz
06-18-2005, 03:54 PM
No. But when he steals 2nd he'll try for 3rd, so he only needs to get on base 110 times or so.

sublime
06-18-2005, 05:01 PM
No. But when he steals 2nd he'll try for 3rd, so he only needs to get on base 110 times or so

makes sense. however, he may not have the chance. cano will probably bat second and will probably have 59 homers.

pudley4
06-18-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. But when he steals 2nd he'll try for 3rd, so he only needs to get on base 110 times or so

makes sense. however, he may not have the chance. cano will probably bat second and will probably have 5.9 homers.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Voltron87
06-18-2005, 09:32 PM
AL East- Yankees
AL Central- Chicago
AL West- Angels

WC- Boston and Baltimore fight for it, close to call but I say boston

NL East- who knows. whoever wins isn't going anywhere in the playoffs though. probably marlins
NL Central- Cardinals
NL West- Padres

WC- don't know.

AL MVP- Arod
AL Cy- Johan

NL MVP- derrek lee
NL Cy- dunno

tbach, you actually have baltimore winning the series? and chicago winning the wc? what? ok, maybe the baltimore call isn't that bad but chicago? come one now. wood and prior are injured, no clue if theyll be back and their bullpen is awful, and they have 3 good hitters tops.

tbach24
06-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Prior will be back soon and then they will have a good staff. Dempster has been a solid closer so far. Their hitting is very good. The NL sucks too.

Voltron87
06-18-2005, 09:37 PM
what good hitters do they have? lee, aramis, walker, and who ... burnitz? hahaha that guy just cracks me up. YOUR CAREER IS A JOKE BURNITZ

tbach24
06-18-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what good hitters do they have? lee, aramis, walker, and who ... burnitz? hahaha that guy just cracks me up. YOUR CAREER IS A JOKE BURNITZ

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to your guys, Barrett, Perez, and Patterson

Jack of Arcades
06-18-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeromy Burnitz is a very solid hitter, comparable at the plate to Andruw Jones.

Michael Barrett has also been one of the best catchers so far this year.

Voltron87
06-18-2005, 09:56 PM
perez is a career .270 hitter with a .300 OBP, and little power.

patterson is hitting .260, with 10 hr granted, but a not so stellar .290ish OBP.

barret is actually better than i thought when i look at his stats, he's a level above the two previous guys.

but still, this is really not a playoff team. no bullpen at all, and wood and prior are out. I have real doubts about how effective wood or prior are going to be, dont expect too much. plus zambrano wood and prior are wayyy overworked.

do you think this team is going to beat LAD, ATL, and the marlins?

Voltron87
06-18-2005, 09:58 PM
yeah i looked at barretts stats in detail and he is pretty solid. and the burnitz is heckling. but do you really think this is a wc team? their lineup is pretty decent, but not explosive. its not a bad lineup, but considering how bad their bullpen is, they need it to be better.

Jack of Arcades
06-19-2005, 12:04 AM
They have a chance, especially with the NL East playing each other so much.

CollinEstes
08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Bump this up to see how everyone did.

RacersEdge
08-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Those were some pretty bad predictions kid.

Bump this thread anytime any of the teams mentioned here wins - or loses. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tbach24
08-03-2005, 06:33 PM
<----[censored] sucks