View Full Version : Worst beat of all time?

TimTimSalabim
01-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Saw this one awhile back playing a nolimit tourney online. Fortunately I wasn't involved in the hand. I don't recall all the details of position and bet sizes, but here's basically what happened:

One player raises before the flop and another player calls, going all-in. On this particular site when there's an all-in situation, the cards are now flipped over, revealing:

10 10 for the raiser
and K 6 for the caller.

Raiser must be feeling pretty good, but it gets much better. The flop comes:

10 5 5

Raiser has flopped a full house! Feeling really good now, until...

Turn comes a K

River comes another K

K6 wins with a runner-runner-full house!!! You could almost hear the screaming over the Internet.

David Steele
01-17-2003, 06:26 PM
even on that hand the screaming would have been louder if it came 5 and 5 making the K kicker good.

D.

Fitz
01-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Several months ago on CCC playing a pot limit game. I catch Qs Qh; I raise the pot, and we see the flop 3 handed. The flop comes down Qd 7h 2d; I bet the pot, get raised the pot; I reraise all in, and we see the turn 3 handed. The turn comes 4c; we are all three all in, so the river comes 7s filling me up. One of the other players shows down pocket aces, but the third player shows down 7c 7d for quads. He hit a one outter on the river to beat me! It's been at least 6 months, and it still bothers me. Oh well, that is why they call it gambling.

Good luck all,

rusty JEDI
01-18-2003, 01:21 AM
Fitz, dont know if that is really a bad beat. Look at it from the other guys perspective, it is a hand he should stay in, you dont expect him to fold his 77 do you. He probably had you on AQ suited or AA like the other player had. I mean it sucks he did hit his one out to win, but he probably thought he had it before that hit.

Diplomat
01-18-2003, 01:49 AM
Ahhh, I have one from a few years ago, that will make you shudder...

Halfway through a N/L tournament last year, Our Hero open-raises with AA. The button re-raises all in, and the BB goes all in for slightly more than our Hero. Naturally Our hero calls. All three players flop over their hands, and we see:

Our hero: AA

Button: KK

BB: KK

"Oh [censored]!" was heard in stereo by all sitting at the table.

But...we see a flop of:

AQT

and a turn of

and a river of:

J

The Button and BB chop up Our Hero, who flopped a set of aces against two pocket kings, and lost to both of them.

KrazyKanuck
01-18-2003, 03:21 AM
my favorite was in a $100 NL tourney at pokerstars last summer. I get KK the very first hand on the button and it's folded to me, I raised 3 units and only the Big Blind called. Flop came KK3 with 2 diamonds. THe BB checked, i bet 60 and he raised to 300ish and i called. The turn was the Q of diamonds and he bet all in and i happily called. The river was the T of diamonds giving him a Royal. First hand of the NL tourney, all in on quad Ks, and i lost in 30 seconds flat. May not be the baddest ugliest beat around, but it's the one i remember.
cheers
KrazyKanuck

Daliman
01-18-2003, 03:51 AM
Was playing in a full 10-20 game at the Horseshoe with a guy who was crushing the table calling raises with crap like J3o "because i had the button" and catching a J on the end to join the 3 he hit on the flop to snap aces. He'd snapped me on crap like that more in the previous couple hours to boot. than once I'm 2nd to act, he's in the SB. I look down at AA, and raise accordingly, (UTG had folded.) 3 people call and idiot raises me, I RR he ends up capping it preflop with a dead serious look on his face. $210 in the pot preflop;

FLOP: Qs 3s 5d

A little worried about QQ here, but not much since either of the 2 in the middle would have re-popped me preflop with QQ, but SB's a mystery. More worried about the spdes, but i do have the Ace of spades(small consolation). SB bets out and I just call, figuring I'll find out where the other guys are, other than the fact that i really don't want to put any more $$$ in there than i have to on uninproved aces;anyone with a better hand than me is going to make me pay, i don't want to chase out worse hands, and there's plenty of $$$ in the pot to make any draws worthwhile. 2 middle guys call

TURN: 2h

Not a bad card for me, it can't logically help anyone,(logically?) SB once again bets out. I 'm pretty confident i have the best hand here, but SB i figure either KK, AKs, AQs(spades?) or QQ(ugh). I think about raising here, but don't really want to put $60 in here, as SB looked like he wanted to reraise me. I grudgingly call and one behind me calls, one drops. Ok, still in the lead unless QQ, I figure,(caller looked none too happy about calling.

RIVER: 4h

Good, not a face card. Only plausible winning hand for him was QQ against me now. WAIT A SECOND! I just backed into a wheel! Even better, although i think the guy behind me may be AQ, so i figure I'll just call SB one last time and either gain an extra $20 from the other caller or split it with at least one of them. Plus, I was feeling a bit like a rodeo cowboy on this hand,(NFR was in town...), and was eager to get it over with with the least possible amount of scariness,(was about $700 down B4 this hand). SB bets, I call, a so does middle guy,(there's that other ace...) I'm dying to see what this moron was so excited about in his hand preflop before i take down my $407 pot with my backdoor wheel,(hoping it's QQ for maximum pain inflicted), and he obliges....6h6c

lorinda
01-18-2003, 08:39 AM
The best one I've read about, IMO was during a bad beat jackpot hand in Vegas where Aces full of Tens was required to be beaten to qualify.
I only read this, so it isn't 100% that it happened, but why not, many things happen!!

Anyway,

Player one has AA, player two has JJ
Jackpot is five figures.

Flop AJJ

Turn x

River A

Costing the aces a tidy sum.

Lori

PokerPaul
01-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Along those lines, here is one i suffered at $200 tourney buyin nolimit at mirage this summer...

60 people in, down to last 2 tables......i have 2nd largest stack, top 3 stacks way ahead of everyone else. top prize about 5000, 2nd 3000.

i am on button with QQ. one player calls, i make a substantial raise (about half my stack). The BB, who happens to be guy in 3rd place with about 90% the size of my stack decised to call....i wonder what the hell is he doing taking me on headsup with our stack situation.

Anyways, flop comes 777. He checks, I go allin and lick my chops. BB thinks a looooong time, looks at his stack, almost mucks his cards, then says 'oh well, might as well go allin' and pushes his chips in.

We flip over our cards....i show QQ, then he turns over K9 offsuit. K9 offsuit????? everybody chuckles, not to mention me, because this will put me in 1st place, by far. guy says he's drunk. I could cruise into the money from here without playing another hand.

dealer flips up 2 more cards.

turn 3.

River 7

David
01-18-2003, 12:23 PM
To make 2 long stories short.......

Flopped quad 9's in PL Omaha only to lose to quad K's when a K hit the turn and river. All the money went in on flop and turn. This was a live PL game! Broke me!

Flopped the nut flush at the final table of a NL Holdem tourney, got my opponent allin on flop with a smaller flush only to see runner runner make him a straight flush.

Life is great tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

beernutz
01-18-2003, 01:08 PM
I don't know but I think we have a winner.

GrannyMae
01-18-2003, 03:58 PM
i can't find my old post, but in mississippi i had a very similar situation as you describe here, but uglier. HUGE jackpot too.

granny aa
player 1 jj
player 2 22

flop ajj

i checked (of course.. letting them catch up hopefully, and being aware of the badbeat jackpot)
player 2 checks his jjjj for the same reasons as me, but even better. he already had the quads.
player 3 checks (thrilled to have the check to him with his 22)

turn card 2

river card 2

i went from the BIG end of the jackpot to a measley table share. i have always regretted not betting the flop, as the player with 22 announced afterward that he would have folded to any flop bet.

moral is to bet it when you got it, and never keep the bullets near the gun.
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/games/poke/053a.gifhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/games/poke/053a.gifhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/games/poke/053a.gifhttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/games/poke/053a.gif

Fitz
01-18-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm sure he thought he was way ahead before the river, but that doesn't change two facts: 1. He hit a one outter to beat me, and 2. I wanted to kill him and his whole family when it happened... lol. I don't usually worry about bad beats; they really are a necessary part of the game. This one is the only one that really sticks with me because it was such a longshot, and it was pot limit game, so I lost enough to make me wince.. lol.

Good luck all,