PDA

View Full Version : When to fold with TT

naios
06-17-2005, 03:49 PM
This is my first post to 2+2, so here goes:

UTG likes betting on just about any flop he's in...the rest are loose passive

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

UTG bet does not concern me much, so I raise anyway...

Turn: (9.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, UTG folds.

like I said, UTG has nothing

River: (12.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

What I'm wondering is whether or not I played the turn right when the third club hit? The river bet was unnecessary as I was beating exactly nothing and was just a waste of a big bet (at least as far as I can see)

Stinkybeaver
06-17-2005, 03:52 PM
I think you played turn ok here,

River : well you pretty much said it yourself

silkyslim
06-17-2005, 03:53 PM
I think this is fine. id fold to a raise on the river, how bout you?

SocialWelfareIV
06-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Are we folding to raise on the turn?

imported_Reaction
06-17-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The river bet was unnecessary as I was beating exactly nothing and was just a waste of a big bet (at least as far as I can see)

[/ QUOTE ] Are you saying C/C or C/F?

naios
06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The river bet was unnecessary as I was beating exactly nothing and was just a waste of a big bet (at least as far as I can see)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying C/C or C/F?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying c/f as any K or club has me beat, and given that this is .5/1, I would not put it past the two callers, and given that they are loose-passive a bet would be significant.

note: button had 3x3/images/graemlins/club.gif and MP3 had 8K (no clubs), so a bet from either was unlikely, and I would've saved myself a dollar, and a bet from either would've also saved me that dollar.

TomBrooks
06-17-2005, 04:42 PM
I like the way you played through the turn. As you said about your own play, I think the river bet was a bad idea as you are likely only getting called by a flush or maybe a pair of kings. You could have easily gotten raised too.

nomadtla
06-17-2005, 04:49 PM
I'd like the turn bet more if you had the T /images/graemlins/club.gif of course but then the river wouldn't have been as bad either (though the turn bet may not have been terrible, it won't fold a lone club so I don't know that it acheives much either). As far as the river bet goes. You said it best, and all of us seem to agree with what you said.

Dave G.
06-17-2005, 05:01 PM
The pot is quite big on the flop. I'm inclined to just call here, planning to raise a safe turn where my equity edge is bigger and my chance of protecting my hand is greater.

The way you played it was fine though. The turn bet is good. Don't fear the flush - it's not always out against you. You're not going to get any lone /images/graemlins/club.gifs to fold, but that's a good thing. They will pad the pot for you when they miss, so you can bet for value against them.

The river is read dependent. HU I'm definitely betting to represent the flush, and folding to a raise. 3 way, well, this bluff only has to work one time in 12 to show a profit. I think both players will fold (read: not have a /images/graemlins/club.gif) often enough for this to be profitable. You may still get calls from hands you beat as well. Any more players though and I'm checking, possibly calling but probably folding.

So in conclusion, nice hand.