PDA

View Full Version : Odd play

bones
06-17-2005, 03:33 PM
20+2

Villian has been making all kinds of Celebrity Poker type comments ("All in. All in!". or "Dont let him push you around, if you have a pair, go all in") and playing in a similar fashion.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t550)
SB (t1060)
BB (t775)
UTG (t710)
UTG+1 (t975)
UTG+2 (t1030)
MP1 (t740)
MP2 (t300)
Hero (t775)
CO (t1085)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t130</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls t100.

Flop: (t305) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian pushes. Hero folds.

Final Pot: t305

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. MP1 wins t305. </font>

I figured her for a pair or a T, but the oddest thing about the play was that it was instant. I don't think I even saw the 3rd card of the flop before she pushed. It reeked of a stop and go, but it was pretty early in the tourney and she was a pretty unsophisticated player.

I realize the default play is folding here, but does anyone call and for what reasons?

the shadow
06-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Maybe it's a leak, but I call because I think that I likely have the best hand.

Even if I don't have the best hand, the best that villian has likely is a pair. I don't think that villian has two pair because I don't think villian would have called with some combination of T, 2 or 3 as pocket cards. I don't think that villian has a set because I don't think villian would have called a 4+x BB bet with 22 or 33. Maybe villian would have called with TT, but I doubt that I'm looking at a set of tens. Plus, I'm not scared of a straight draw and there's no flush draw.

If villian paired a hole card (or might have JJ or QQ), I'm a 3-1 dog but still have some outs. But my bet is that villian has some unpaired combination of broadway cards or Ax, missed the flop, and pushed to try to win the pot, so I'm ahead.

BTW, I would not make this call without your read that villian is pretty unsophisticated.

If I win, I'm in good shape. If not, I even out my finish distribution bar chart and fire up a new SNG.

The Shadow

ewing55
06-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Fold! Maybe I'm too weak-tight. OK, I know I'm too weak-tight, but I'm not going to commint my whole game on a hunch. If villian has a pair, you're a big dog. I think you can find a better spot to gamble.

As the comment about "it was instant," I don't know. I'm seeing some weird stuff. I don't think everyone at the table sees everything at the same time. I know I've seen a flop and the first two responses (limp, fold) come all at the same time. I have barely seen my cards in LP and the first two players have acted and they weren't auto-folds. Also I've thought about a decision and decided to fold and immediately the next in line raises a good amount. I can't type or move the slider that quick. It wasn't a pot size bet either. ????? I'd really like some responses to this one.

One thing that may explain the first one is... Try this. On the main Party screen, Options-&gt;Video&amp;Audio Option and turn off the chips &amp; cards. The table no longer "deals," the cards just pop up in front of you and the table all at once. I find that annoying, but it does get you the information (cards) quicker.

--------------Jeff

lastchance
06-17-2005, 07:48 PM
No reason not to give them credit for a low pair when they do this.