PDA

View Full Version : A little scared of the big cold-call...

Ed Miller
01-17-2003, 04:45 PM
4-8 at Muckleshoot. I have Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif in MP. Two limpers to me and I raise. The button cold-calls, and the SB and BB both call as well. 6 players to the flop. The BB in this hand is the tightest player at the table besides me... I can't tell exactly what his starting requirements are, but he only plays two hands per orbit or so. That's about all I know about his play... haven't seen him showdown a hand yet.

The flop is Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Blinds check. First limper bets, second limper raises. I 3-bet. Button and SB fold, but BB calls 3 cold. First limper calls two cold and then the second limper caps allin. All call.

Turn is the K /forums/images/icons/club.gif . BB checks, limper checks... I thought for a bit and checked.

River is A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . BB hesitates for a bit in a way that convinces me that he is lacking the nuts and bets. Limper calls, I raise and both fold. I also spaced and forgot (more like never noticed) that there was an allin player and almost mucked my hand... someone caught me at the very last second. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

slim
01-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Although I would be worried that mr. cold call had J-10 for a turned str8, I am not worried enough to check because I have a re-draw.
A little off topic.....you mention the tight old man was tight because he only plays 2 hands per orbit. Does everyone else agree that is tight? I don't keep track but I am sure I don't average 2 hands per orbit if you exclude free plays from the BB.

Bob T.
01-17-2003, 05:02 PM
If one of the coldcallers has JT, which seemed likely when I was reading the hand, then you still have ten outs. If they are playing some variety of queen they have one out if it is KQ, otherwise they are drawing dead. I think you have to bet the turn, and see what happens. If you get raised, start praying for the board to pair.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.

Bob T.
01-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Keep in mind, that the two hands per lap is just a quick estimate. It might be 1.5 which would make him tight, or 2.5 which would make him moderately loose.

But 2 hands per lap would make him one of the tighter players in most low limit games. But sometimes loose players get an incredible run of bad cards, that they can't even play. With an unknown player, I would agree that it indicates at least that he has preflop standards, which puts him ahead of many players.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.

Rube
01-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Don't be afraid of the monster under the bed. You need to bet the turn because you can't give a free card to hands like QJ, TJ, and hands that picked up a flush draw with a pair. You'll be making money off of hands that are drawing dead or thin. Even if you're against JT, you have ten redraw outs and you'll get paid off on the river.