PDA

View Full Version : The Wifely Duty

Rick Nebiolo
01-17-2003, 03:48 PM
A few days ago, my favorite magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, once again greeted me in my mailbox. The next day I was catching some warm, low, January sun by the pool with by best buddy Greg, a happily married, part time poker player, “Mr. Mom” and great guy. Naturally, I brought the magazine, as if our mere company isn’t entertainment enough.

One article had both of us cracking up and I couldn’t help but quote from it. It is called, “The Wifely Duty” by Caitlin Flanagan.

One quote that may help you get the gist of the article follows:

“All of this makes me reflect that those repressed and much pitied 1950s wives—their sexless college years! their boorish husbands, who couldn't locate the clitoris with a flashlight and a copy of Gray's Anatomy!—were apparently getting a lot more action than many of today's most liberated and sexually experienced married women.”

Here is a link to the article and I hope some of you enjoy it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2003/01/flanagan.htm

BTW, the Atlanitc has a forum allowing peole to discuss their articles and it is almost as interesting as this one.

Regards,

Rick

Phat Mack
01-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Good article. I've instructed Mrs. Mack to quit her job. I'll let you know how it works out.

HDPM
01-17-2003, 06:29 PM
You have it wrong. I have instructed my wife to let me quit my job. Did I mention we'll be getting a pool table soon? She will have to get past bad housekeeping and some road trips, but I think I can grill some steaks for dinner most nights. Our dog would be a lot happier having someone around during the day too.

andyfox
01-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Wonderfully written article. Lots of great things to quote, but I loved these two consecutive sentences:

"There is nothing like uninterrupted cohabitation and grinding responsibility to cast a clear, unforgiving light on the object of desire. Once children come along, it's easy for parents to regard each other as co-presidents of an industrious little corporation."

I'm not so sure to what extent people used to get married to have sex and now get married to stop having sex. As for me, I've never had sex with a 10, but I am paying alimony to two 5s.