PDA

View Full Version : AKo in the CO, correct, awful, or so-so?

Quercus
06-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Its a 6max 1/2 table, but I don't think the 6max has that much relevance on the hand.

SB is a bit looser than he should be, with unremarkable postflop play. I don't have a lot of hands on him.

BB is fairly new to the table, but I've seen him in a lot of hands. Don't recall seeing a showdown from him yet.

Hero is in CO with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG folds, MP folds, Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB raises, hero calls, SB calls.

Flop 3 players - 10SB 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif
SB bets, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn 3 players - 6.5BB 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB calls.

River: 3 players - 8.5BB 8/images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB folds.

Final pot: 10.5BB between Hero and SB.

Not capping preflop felt weak but I couldn't make a strong case for capping.

Not raising the flop felt weak as well, but I couldn't make a strong case for either raising or folding.

Turn and river played themselves.

droolie
06-17-2005, 12:42 PM
I cap this pf. The reason being is that you are a big favorite over SB. You might be a cointoss with BB at this point but make SB pay a little more and get back the momentum with a good hand.

I'm fine with the flop. If you had a good read that hese gus were passive I'd raise to try to knock out BB and to possibly get to thr river for free if they both call.

I like the turn bet given how you played the flop because it really looks like SB is drawing now.

I can't see much value in betting this river. What better hand fold here and what worse hands call?

Fantam
06-17-2005, 01:00 PM
Your PF and flop play seemed fine to me. I dont think you have to cap PF with AKo. Also I dont think your hand was strong enough to merit a flop raise, unless you felt that both SB and BB were passive enough, that this would earn you a free river card if needed. However, I dont think your reads on SB and BB were good enough to try this at the time.

I would have played the turn and river differently though. I dont think that your hand was very strong and so I would have taken a free turn card when it was available. Also I would have checked the river, as I would only imagine a bet being called by a better hand than your effectively Ace high on the end.

topspin
06-17-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd probably have capped this preflop with position. BB could be 3-betting with many worse hands in 6-max.

I don't think raising the flop does much. I also have no idea why you bet the river; is this supposed to be for value?

einbert
06-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Cap preflop.

Flop-turn play is perfect IMO.

I don't see what you gain by betting the river. I would have taken the free showdown.

Sinnister
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Capping the flop gives u extra leverage in the hand for ur flop bet to succeed. If u bet the flop and get resistance u can be sure you are beat

Quercus
06-17-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I can't see much value in betting this river. What better hand fold here and what worse hands call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the way that the flop and turn played out, I had a real hard time putting either of these players on anything which would beat me.

If the board had hit either of them, I would have expected either

a) SB to lead out again on the turn blank
b) BB to either raise SB or lead the turn when checked to him.

Since neither of those things happened, it looked like weaker aces/draws were the most likely so I value bet the river. Plus, betting would give me a reasonable chance of folding out baby pocket pairs in the unlikely event that one was out there.

topspin
06-17-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
betting would give me a reasonable chance of folding out baby pocket pairs in the unlikely event that one was out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that a pocket pair has no odds to draw to their set the whole way, they're probably adopting a WA/WB type approach and hoping you'll fire again with overcards. I don't see any PP folding this river.

einbert
06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given the way that the flop and turn played out, I had a real hard time putting either of these players on anything which would beat me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the way the flop and turn played out, I would put these players on VERY wide ranges of hands. Many of which beat you.

droolie
06-17-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, betting would give me a reasonable chance of folding out baby pocket pairs in the unlikely event that one was out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't look like a weak A to me. It looks like a draw or a pair under TT. The guy got spooked when you just called the flop bet and was afraid of you raising the turn. He probably assumes you have overcards but wants to make sure you don't put him to the test.

I think for this bet to have value you have to see a small pair fold more than 15% of the time and get worse hands to call a bit too. I don't see many worse A's leading that flop and therefore you're unlikey to ever be called by a better hand. The vast majority of the time you will be called in one or two spots by better hands or you will be C/red or both guys will fold busted draws. None of those options are appealing.

*Let's keep working on that river aggression though. Some day we'll figure it out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quercus
06-17-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

*Let's keep working on that river aggression though. Some day we'll figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB called with ATo /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(Yes, yes, results oriented.)

droolie
06-17-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

*Let's keep working on that river aggression though. Some day we'll figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB called with ATo /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(Yes, yes, results oriented.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I call BS! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif