PDA

View Full Version : better poker movie -- rounders or grifters?

PokerPaul
06-17-2005, 10:37 AM
reason i ask is i just got a DVD of oceans 12 for my birthday....didnt like it and want to exchange it for a good poker movie. I've seen rounders and think its great, but i heard grifters is supposed to be pretty good and i havent seen it yet

hoopsie44
06-17-2005, 11:29 AM
I don't believe Grifters is a poker movie.

Toro
06-17-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But we got to see Annette Benning naked, so I'll go with The Grifters.

PokerPaul
06-17-2005, 01:20 PM
really? too bad..someone told me it all revolves around a poker game...maybe they were mistaken..damn

KingCon
06-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Grifters is a con artist movie, doesnt have one card scene in it, see if you can exchange it for CINCINNATI KID.

kyro
06-17-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But we got to see Annette Benning naked, so I'll go with Rounders.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Toro
06-17-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Post didnt need fixin. Movie came out in 1990, she wasn't bad.

youtalkfunny
06-17-2005, 05:01 PM
IF you want to watch poker, get Rounders.

If you want to watch cheating scumbags, get...Rounders.

If you want a GOOD movie, get Grifters.

playersare
06-17-2005, 05:44 PM
oscar nominations

grifters - 4
rounders - 0

Shakezula
06-17-2005, 06:59 PM
but wasn't annette bening's nude shot a movie effect? i mean, it sure was strangely dark-ish around her neck and body when she was shown on the bed proposing to pay her debt with sex. it looked like some kind of movie FX.

good flick, but no poker. might as well watch "last man standing". i think that was the name. (matthew lillard, james earl jones) was about home game poker, playing 5-draw for the lottery tickets. low man eliminated, until...last man standing. winner takes the lotto-tickets, then calls-in to check the numbers. it wasn't entirely wretched. if you've ever played silly home games, then you would relate.

imported_CaseClosed326
06-17-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good flick, but no poker. might as well watch "last man standing". i think that was the name. (matthew lillard, james earl jones) was about home game poker, playing 5-draw for the lottery tickets. low man eliminated, until...last man standing. winner takes the lotto-tickets, then calls-in to check the numbers. it wasn't entirely wretched. if you've ever played silly home games, then you would relate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that, and wondered if I was the only person to ever see or hear of that movie. It was pretty interesting IMO.

kyro
06-17-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Post didnt need fixin. Movie came out in 1990, she wasn't bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh, I'm not a fan.

HitHard69
06-18-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finders Fee...and what a wierd movie it was

hexag1
06-18-2005, 04:50 AM
"the Grifters" is not really a poker movie, but its better than "Rounders" by a mile. "the Sting" (redford/newman)is another good movie thats got poker in it, but my fave is Robert Altman's "California Split" w/Eliott Gould.

BTW the Grifters is based on a great novel by Jim Thompson, who wrote a lot of gritty noir/crime novels. Thompson was a genius novelist, and anyone who likes stories about hustlers, crooks, and killers will surely enjoy his writing. fantastic characters and dialogue. check out
"Pop. 182", "After Dard, My Sweet" and "the Killer Inside Me".
"the Killer Inside Me" is a fascinating story told from the perspective of a diabolical small town sherriff in west Texas. terriffic stuff.
he also wrote a Stanley Kubrick movie about a bank heist i think.

ApolloQuiet
06-18-2005, 12:32 PM
The Sting >>>>> Rounders

mike l.
06-18-2005, 01:36 PM
grifters is cinematically interesting and a con movie, not a poker movie. it's a bit depressing. rounders is fun. if youre looking outside of the realm of poker movies then get house of games, it's a better con movie than grifters, and a much better film than either of the two youre thining of getting..

your best bet is to sell all of your dvds, it's silly to own dvds or cds anymore, and get netflix.

Clarkmeister
06-18-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's a bit depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit?

MicroBob
06-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Sting is outstanding.
I wasn't THAT in lone with Grifters.
Rounders was okay...but now that I actually know how to play poker it's not as good anymore.

Why not just get the Tilt DVD collection??!?!?!
ESPN told me that it makes the perfect Father's Day gift.

MicroBob
06-18-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
better poker movie -- rounders or grifters?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking at this question in a new light.

Basically...it's a question of, "Is Rounders a better poker movie than some random movie with ZERO poker content?"

It's kind of like asking...."Better poker movie: Rounders...or Driving Miss Daisy."

Driving Miss Daisy has ZERO poker inaccuracies so I am inclined to say that it is actually a 'truer' poker movie than Rounders.

Also kind of like saying, "Which poker television program is better: WPT or Emeril-Live"

Again: it's kind of a tough call.

Bartman387
06-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Rounders is so overrated, it's unbelievable that this is considered to be good, I'd rate it decent at best.

Looking for a good poker movie or just a good movie in general?? Buy Cincinatti Kid! It blows Rounders out of the water.

But if you like movie where great players have the most obvious, most unrealistic and just plain dumb tells ever (He eats his cookie when he has a good hand?!?! Come on) then you will be sorely disappointed.

KingCon
06-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Another good degenerate gambling movie is LET IT RIDE with RICHARD DRYFEUSS, its not a poker movie but its about horse racing. I hate horce racing but this is one of my favorite gambling movies of all time

Piper Tim
06-19-2005, 04:52 PM
You could also go for a terrible poker movie, but one that does show a lot of moves with cards- Shade.

Its a B film to its core, with aweful poker but great card manipulation.

PairTheBoard
06-19-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another good degenerate gambling movie is LET IT RIDE with RICHARD DRYFEUSS, its not a poker movie but its about horse racing. I hate horce racing but this is one of my favorite gambling movies of all time

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw it again the other night. I love that movie.

PairTheBoard

Punker
06-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes lets all rush out to get the extremely realistic poker movie Cincinnati Kid...mind running down the climactic hand for me one more time?

porkchop
06-19-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Annette Bening, circa 1989, was pretty hot I thought.

Bartman387
06-19-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes lets all rush out to get the extremely realistic poker movie Cincinnati Kid...mind running down the climactic hand for me one more time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already mentioned ROunders is dumb because of KGB's tell, but also how about how Matt Damons character glorifies himself as such a great player because he bluffed the great Johnny Chan. WTF?!?!? In the movie he says how he plays tight and doesn't get involved in a hand for over a hour and then suddenly plays real aggressive heads up against Chan and Chan folds, pretty simple and smart play by Chan to lay it down. Or how about the movie going over the basics of hold 'em in the beginning and then they go onto play stud and omaha for the entirety until the showdown with KGB.

Overrated movie CK is much better.

PokerBabe(aka)
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
For once I agree with mikel. House of Games is an outstanding movie. I have seen it 5 times and may rent it again now!

Overall, however, any firm with Ed Norton is near the top of my list.

LGPG

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

KingCon
06-20-2005, 03:35 PM
I thought HOUSE OF GAMES was predictable and the leading lady was an absolutely horrible actress.But a lot of people rave about it.

PairTheBoard
06-20-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought HOUSE OF GAMES was predictable and the leading lady was an absolutely horrible actress.But a lot of people rave about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They seemed to talk awfully strange in that movie. Like they would cut themselves off midsentence and wait for the other actor to come in with the scripted interuption. Wierd.

PairTheBoard

MikeL05
06-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Did the poker boom happen in 1994 or 2003? If Rounders didn't happen, we wouldn't be on this board discussing this. I'd say 80-90% of the current semi-serious poker-playing world would not exist.

Rounders --> ESPN WSOP Coverage --> poker boom

Grifters --> nominations/awards --> half the people here hadn't heard of it until today

I don't think you can ever hope to quantify or qualify what Rounders has done for poker.