PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a good SNG player....

stillbr
06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
What do I need to know that I wouldnt have learned from limit? I was a pretty above average 6-tabling 3-6 player. Anything to do with outs, odds, hand reading, blah blah blah I know pretty well. I've been reading through hoh to learn some things. Anything that I wont get through reading the 1-table forums? I keep seeing stuff about peoples pushing standards/calling standards...Is this somthing I will pick up on my own after some experiance? Anything else to push me in the right direction?

BTW i've played about 200 $33's so far so I'm not "Completely" new to sng's

iMsoLucky0
06-17-2005, 10:16 AM
It sounds like you've got a real good start already. There is alot of junk on these forums now, but this is still the best place to learn how to play SNGs well. You will begin to get more of a feel for different players calling standards as you play, but even they can only be used so much. Is there anything in specific you are having trouble with? You are stealing a ton on the bubble, right? You are playing relatively weak/tight early? Those are the main ideas you will pick up from here. Beyond that, it kinda just becomes details.

Good luck.

stillbr
06-17-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are playing relatively weak/tight early?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things I think I need to improve on. I feel im playing unpaired highcards too strongly preflop in the early levels. It seems like I'm waisting chips because I HAVE to hit a flop.

pergesu
06-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Download Sit n Go Power Tools (http://www.sitngo-analyzer.com/) and go through the Blindstealing 101 lesson. If you're already a decent poker player, that lesson will set you on your way to pwning SNGs.

SNOWBALL138
06-17-2005, 10:45 AM
you don't have to hit a flop with AK to have the best hand, and you don't have to have the best hand to win the pot either. SHIP IT!

stillbr
06-17-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you don't have to hit a flop with AK to have the best hand, and you don't have to have the best hand to win the pot either. SHIP IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is obviously true, AK is a much stronger un-improved post flop hand once the levels are higher, and less people are calling the standard raise.

dopp16
06-17-2005, 11:45 AM
I consider myself a very strong S&G player and it actually is a lot different from ring NL. I Play extremely tight, but aggressive early, let the other people do the work. DON"T try to control the table or steal too many blinds. If you pull a big pot early then play even tighter. You loosen up at 4 or 5 unless you are short. The biggest mistake from good No-limit players who play S&G's is that they are way to aggressive and try to build there stack early and try to control tables. You want to weed out the fish early and gain reads without investing or risking. With that said, when it is down to 4 or 5 and you loosen up a little they will all thing you are tight and won't have a strong read on you. Good luck!!!!!

gisb0rne
06-17-2005, 12:03 PM
I play ridiculously weak tight in the first couple levels (fold AQ except in late position, I even folded AKo in the small blind to a 4x BB mid position raise) but once the blinds hit 75/150 I open up a lot. There's a lot of unintuitive bubble strategy that I'm still learning but I think if you are a decent poker player and stick to a tight-early, superagressive-bubble/postbubble playing strategy you'll have no problem winning at SnG's.

freemoney
06-17-2005, 12:32 PM
although this weak/tight strategy might work it is far from optimal, it just makes sense that worse players are playing more hands early and getting knocked out faster, alot of times its ok to get in and gamble with them, im not talking about chip spewing or anything but being able to exploit the bad players is very important IMO.

joeboe2001
06-17-2005, 01:56 PM
I agree with the last 3 posters--especially 1 and 2. Other keys to winning are patience (many posters here advocate pushing in desperation far too soon in the process) and giving SOME respect to your opponents. Though there is some incredibly bad play in SNGs--and not just at the low $$ ones I generally play in--there are more and more very tough players out there every day.