PDA

View Full Version : Unlucky ? or bad play ?

Pondy
06-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Played in a $50 MTT last night on Stars. Got to the final table, and came 6th.

This is how I went out:-

I was in MP2 with 48000, holding KJ clubs. Blinds were 2000/4000 (i think). I raise to 16000. all fold apart from button (60000), who raises to 24000. I go all in. He calls, and turns over AA. Flop gives me a flush draw, which never comes. I'm out.

Was I correct to call ? the guy on the button, usually only raised with a) big hands or b) to steal the blinds when on the button.

What do you think ?

PS I was a bit gutted at going out at that stage, because I'm yet to get my first $1000 win (so far I've had an $800 and last night $587). However can't complain, still chuffed at the result, as that was the biggest buy in i've entered so far.

mlagoo
06-17-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Played in a $50 MTT last night on Stars. Got to the final table, and came 6th.

This is how I went out:-

I was in MP2 with 48000, holding KJ clubs. Blinds were 2000/4000 (i think). I raise to 16000. all fold apart from button (60000), who raises to 24000. I go all in. He calls, and turns over AA. Flop gives me a flush draw, which never comes. I'm out.

Was I correct to call ? the guy on the button, usually only raised with a) big hands or b) to steal the blinds when on the button.

What do you think ?

PS I was a bit gutted at going out at that stage, because I'm yet to get my first $1000 win (so far I've had an $800 and last night $587). However can't complain, still chuffed at the result, as that was the biggest buy in i've entered so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your initial opening raise preflop was too big... at that stage in the tournament, 3xBB is more than enough... maybe even 2.5xBB is better.

With a hand like that, I'm really looking to take it down preflop. If I'm reraised, I'm either calling and looking to hit a great flop, or folding -- mostly because I don't know where I'm at (is my king good?).

Especially looking at his raise.. I mean, the guy only has 60,000 chips in front. The play with pretty much any hand, after you put 16,000 in the pot, is for him to go allin. This raise just screams value-bet to me. When someone minreraises me preflop (btw, I'm assuming you meant he raised to 28,000), I am typically scared as hell, and, depending on my stack, either call, looking to hit a miracle, or fold.

I think in this case, the play is a fold. You tried to take the blinds down with a marginal hand, were minreraised, and you really need to get away from this one preflop.

Pondy
06-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Yep, you're right. Looking back now, I should of folded after he re-raised. (yeah it was 28000 as well).

Thanks for advice.

arod15
06-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Your bet was too big with such a modest hand. And when he came over the top of you, you should have let it go. No question. Perhaps your overbet made you call perhaps you wanted to go to sleep either way it was a bad play and the results reflected that. Still good job getting there.