PDA

View Full Version : Backing up my Microsoft CDs

Frequitude
06-17-2005, 08:58 AM
I actually have a legit Windows XP and Office 2003. I recently got an external HD to store all my media and various programs. I would also like to create backups of my Microsoft CDs, as well as other product CDs. But mainly the Microsoft ones so if they ever get scratched or lost, I can burn a new copy.

What is the best way to do this? Just copy the CD contents to a folder on the Ext. HD? Something involving a .iso (not sure how this works)?

Thanks.

Rick Nebiolo
06-20-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually have a legit Windows XP and Office 2003. I recently got an external HD to store all my media and various programs. I would also like to create backups of my Microsoft CDs, as well as other product CDs. But mainly the Microsoft ones so if they ever get scratched or lost, I can burn a new copy.

What is the best way to do this? Just copy the CD contents to a folder on the Ext. HD? Something involving a .iso (not sure how this works)?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at my response to Ray Zee above. You may want to consider making a restorable image of your C: drive using Norton Ghost, that way you get back to exactly where you where after replacing the drive if a virus wipes you out or your drive crashes.

~ Rick

Frequitude
06-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks Rick, the external HD I bought comes with one-button backup software, so I will look into that a little more.

Still though, this does not really solve the problem of backing up my important product CDs so I can easily burn a new copy if one gets damaged/lost.

Is that as simple as copying the CD contents to the HD, or is there a more efficient (less memory space) way to do this?

Cheers.

PLOlover
06-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Make an iso image of the cd and then when you burn it it will still be bootable.

Isobuster, Winiso, are among programs that can do this.

Frequitude
06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
THANKS, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Can I do this with Nero?

How big are .iso files for a full 700MB disk?

BusterStacks
06-21-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

700MB

Frequitude
06-21-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

700MB

[/ QUOTE ]

ask a stupid question........