PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pretty Disappointed in Myself

toss
06-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB is loose, tried checkraising me with a rivered flush, only played like 10 hands with him.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero pauses and thinks "Gee looka the size of that pot" and calls.

River: (12.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB

chief444
06-17-2005, 08:13 AM
BB should be 3-betting 99/TT preflop (but probably wouldn't be all of the time) but I kind of doubt if he follows through with 3-betting the flop and leading a K-high turn with a worse hand. And by "kind of doubt" I mean I fold when the K falls. The other consideration although you're likely ahead of UTG...even those times you are best on the turn both opponents are drawing live against you.

toss
06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah I sually don't donk like this. It sucks starting off 5/10 with a 45 BB downswing. I swear this was my only mistake.

Edit:The only likely hand that I neat on the flop was AKo, when the K landed on the turn I shoulda folded.

chief444
06-17-2005, 08:37 AM
toss,

Have you played 5/10 6-max at all?

I also think you should cap preflop here. With one pretty horrible EP opponent and you being aggressive the BB's 3-betting range preflop I think is definitely wide enough that you are missing value by not capping.

Chief

toss
06-17-2005, 08:39 AM
This is fullring, so I'm not so sure about capping JJ here.

Edit: Actually your post makes sense. I raised from MP3 with a crappy limper from EP, so BB would think I was stealing.

flair1239
06-17-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
. It sucks starting off 5/10 with a 45 BB downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

45BB is not a downswing, it is a normal day at 5/10, when the deck is not hitting you in the face and you make 2-3 second best hands. Get used to winning/losing $400-600 in day, it is commonplace.

toss
06-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Heh thanks for the reality check. I'm still feeling goood. I played my B+ game which is good.

flair1239
06-17-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh thanks for the reality check. I'm still feeling goood. I played my B+ game which is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

One more thing, this might be helpful to some.

The beginning of May I had a 200BB downswing at 5/10. In reality (after reviewing some hands), it really never should have gone deeper than 100-125. However I was not used to the Stakes yet, so when the downswing hit the $850-$1000 range, it started effecting how I played.

I normally play very aggressive on the flop (AF on flop 3.2), I feel that this helps me avoid mistakes on later streets, and helps disguise my hand. Anyway during the last half of this swing, that AF was 2.6. Some of this was do to the cards, but it was also because I was in a saving bets mentality. Even after the swing was over I was still playing like crap. I eventually worked through it all, but the fact is if I had consciously mentally prepared myself for the inevitable size of the swings, I would have been better off. Or to sum up, there will come a day where you will drop $1000, don't let it get you off balance.

Last night I was actually kind of happy, I dropped $400. Got into bed and my girlfriend asked:

"How did it go."

Me: Not too bad.

Her: You win?

Me: Nah lost $400

Her: That's not bad, you've had worse.

Me: Yep.

So anyway, for your first few thousand hands, just think really focus on thinking in terms of BB.

QTip
06-17-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Her: That's not bad, you've had worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nice when the person you're with understands these sorts of things.

My wife used to get bent out of shape when I'd hop in bed and say "Well, I lost $500 tonight". And when I say "bent out of shape"...well...I won't go into details /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, she really has a grip on how it rolls now (the poker grapher helped a lot in explaining this).

I've had the same thing happen now where when I say that she says "Oh..that's not bad.".

Just helps to have someone reinforce your understanding of variance.

chief444
06-17-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife used to get bent out of shape when I'd hop in bed

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out how that's a bad thing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

QTip
06-17-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My wife used to get bent out of shape when I'd hop in bed

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to figure out how that's a bad thing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! How right you are!

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif