PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Event 15. I made the money - Trip report

SoBeDude
06-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Well the $1500 Limit Shootout was an interesting tourney for me. (In a shootout, u need to win your table to advance)

First, I play a lot of limit cash games, so I feel I'm a good limit player.

I ran very poorly for the first two hours, losing with AA, QQ twice, 77, etc.

At one point I got down to 650 in chips (we started with 1500). There were several pros at my table including Miami John.

But I did manage to get to heads up. But I was a huge dog. I had 2400 in chips, to my opponents 12,600. Nothing like being at a 5-1 chip disadvantage.

Thought a combination of good play and good fortune, I managed to come all the way back and win my table. This assured me a spot in the money.

After all single tables completed, we all then drew for new 5-handed single table shootouts (round 2).

I ran well for a while and dominated my table. I made several sets and got paid off. then I ran poorly for almost 2 hours. making a number of 2nd best hands and missed flops.

When we were 3-handed, it was almost an even split in chip counts. One of my opponents went on a great run of cards and took a commanding lead, But I still felt I could outplay my opponents.

Then I lost 2 key hands and found myself short.

Just after this, the kid who was really aggressive and dominant lost 3 big hands to my other opponent, making himself short, and the 3rd guy chip leader.

Then this hand came up.

I had 86 in the BB. Mr aggressive (now short) raises on the button, I call. flop is 286 with 2 spades. I check, he bets, I call. Turn is a king of spades. I check, he bets, I check-raise. he thinks forever, and reraises his last 1500 (bets are 1K 2K I call and turn over my 2 pair. He has nothing but a flush draw with the As. of course, the flush gets there on the river, leaving me now the short stack.

hand after next I'm the button and raise with AQ. SB (leader) calls, BB calls. great. Flop is AQ3, 2 spades. check, check, I bet SB calls. turn is a 7s. check, I bet, he calls. river is another small spade (I have none, but I have only 1500 in chips in front of me. now the SB bets out, I call my last 1500, and he shows the 8s to knock me out.

I officially take 21st place, and 4K in prize money.

I was walking around steamed for a good hour. losing to two runner-runner flushes to get knocked out 2 people from the final table is just frustrating.

at least I made the money in my first WSOP even of the year.

-Scott

Sluss
06-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Nice job Scott, congrats. Are you playing in more events?

A_PLUS
06-17-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

at least I made the money in my first WSOP even of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully after the steam wears off, you will get to appreciate that. Great job, now get us a freaking bracelet already.

woodguy
06-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Nice job coming back on table #1 and cashing Scott. Think of that, and not the runner/runner hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I was walking around steamed for a good hour. losing to two runner-runner flushes to get knocked out 2 people from the final table is just frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read here and in the zoo that the dominated hand always wins if they are all in at the Rio, that's why I play at the Wynn. Their random number generator doesn't get all screwed up by the cards already in play (especially if its spades).

Regards,
Woodguy

SoBeDude
06-17-2005, 01:24 PM
I read here and in the zoo that the dominated hand always wins if they are all in at the Rio, that's why I play at the Wynn. Their random number generator doesn't get all screwed up by the cards already in play (especially if its spades).

Yes. Clearly, this site is rigged.

tipperdog
06-17-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then this hand came up.

I had 86 in the BB. Mr aggressive (now short) raises on the button, I call. flop is 286 with 2 spades. I check, he bets, I call. Turn is a king of spades. I check, he bets, I check-raise. he thinks forever, and reraises his last 1500 (bets are 1K 2K I call and turn over my 2 pair. He has nothing but a flush draw with the As. of course, the flush gets there on the river, leaving me now the short stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough beat, sorry, and contgrats on the finish. But let's talk about this hand. I think your opponent's reraise of your check-raise was an appalingly poor play. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose. At this point, it must be obvious to your opponent that he has the worst hand (but the best draw). Given the size of the pot, he clearly cannot fold. But why toss in your last chips here? If he misses the river and you check, he can check behind and at least have some chance at a miracle comback.

Cavalierly tossing in your last chips here is a textbook limit poker tourney error, IMO. Others' thoughts?