PDA

View Full Version : IHP - Checking to induce a bluff.

JoshuaD
06-17-2005, 04:40 AM
I'm gonna go a different direction in my "interesting hand posts". Instead of posting hands that I had trouble with, I'm going to be posting hands that seem like obvious descisions to me, while they are somewhat advanced strategies.

Some stuff that seems really obvoius to some of us regulars needs to be rediscussed so it's really obvious to new posters as well. It also needs to be questioned -- just because I think it's obvious doesn't mean it's right.

So expect some ABC stuff from me in these IHP posts.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button folds.

River: (6.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks...

This river is a perfect time to check to induce a bluff. Anyone play it differently?

oreogod
06-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Besides the flop there isnt much up for discussion. I bet here with a rainbow board, usually check into a coordinated one. I will usually checkraise a LP bet.

Just a different line. So yeah, besides the flop, which is open to a different line, looks fine.

Nick C
06-17-2005, 05:02 AM
MP1 might have a busted flush draw. Another possibility, actually, is that he called with overcards on the flop and picked up a gutshot on the turn.

So I think check-calling is worth a shot.

I don't think people wake up with a river bluff all that often after showing no strength whatsoever previously, but then I haven't played 5/10 at all recently, and when I give up and check the river, it's usually because I'm the one who's been bluffing, and I don't really have anything to call with.

When I do call, though, with ace-high after my draw missed, I seem to lose most of the time. But you don't have to pick off a bluff all that often, if there's been betting on previous streets, for it to be a good play, and in this case there aren't many worse hands that will call a river bet anyway, unless MP1 has been playing passively with 66 or something.

Under the circumstances, I don't think your hand is really all that much better than the nut no-pair as a bluff-catcher, but it does at least beat, instead of tying, KQ.

JoshuaD
06-17-2005, 05:11 AM
Nick: check/calling also protects me from getting bluff-raised. I couldn't bet/call that river. I expect it to get checked through pretty often here, and I don't expect to win it too often if I have to call a bet, but it's better than betting, and it will induce a bluff occasionally.

Malachii
06-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Check calling is the way to go here imo. NH

RiverTheNuts
06-17-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go a different direction in my "interesting hand posts". Instead of posting hands that I had trouble with, I'm going to be posting hands that seem like obvious descisions to me, while they are somewhat advanced strategies.

Some stuff that seems really obvoius to some of us regulars needs to be rediscussed so it's really obvious to new posters as well. It also needs to be questioned -- just because I think it's obvious doesn't mean it's right.

So expect some ABC stuff from me in these IHP posts.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, Button folds.

River: (6.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks...

This river is a perfect time to check to induce a bluff. Anyone play it differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the river protects you from getting popped, and we're chopping here at worst we think, so why not let him bet it for us?... only value in betting this is when he checks through a smaller unimproved PP, which is rare unless he's a calling station.

flair1239
06-17-2005, 10:11 AM
It looks fine... but are you sure you are not checking because you really want to see a showdown, but it would suck to get raised, because you would probably have to fold? There is no shame in this reasoning either /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cold_cash
06-17-2005, 10:48 AM
I like the river check in this situation, not necessarily because it prevents us from being bluff raised, but rather, because it's difficult (if not impossible) for a worse hand to call.

When the flop comes w/ paired 4's and you come blazing out of the big blind, anyone (except the rare maniac) who raises the river is going to have you beaten, which makes your decision easy, IMO.

chief444
06-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Nice hand.

einbert
06-17-2005, 11:11 AM
I play it exactly the same, NH.

Nick C
06-17-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nick: check/calling also protects me from getting bluff-raised. I couldn't bet/call that river. I expect it to get checked through pretty often here, and I don't expect to win it too often if I have to call a bet, but it's better than betting, and it will induce a bluff occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree.