PDA

View Full Version : MTT Newbie- Help late in tournies

ChaseYourFlush
06-17-2005, 03:48 AM
I sincerely apologize ahead of time if this is something that get beat to death in this forum, because I come from the STT forum (at least a lurker), and I know how upset they can get at times.

Anywho, I'm new to MTT's, coming from STT's as previously mentioned. I'm having trouble late in tournaments, around the time of 30 and 20 left. I play online at UB anywhere from 5 dollar to 30 dollar buyin tourneys, in case the structure at UB is significantly different from anywhere else and would alter your answer.

My basic question is this, how should my play change when it gets late in the tournament? I've been very successful in my limited experience (I KNOW ABOUT SAMPLE SIZE), but I feel as if my play isn't perfect later on. Should I be willing to get in there and gamble with coinflips readily?

How about calling standards after a player with a large range of possible hands opens for a raise (What i mean by this is he could be stealing, or he could have a monster). Is JQo good enough to play here? It seems like I always end up folding too much and end up with about 10-12 BB before I get in trouble. Anyway, Any help would be much appreciated (this includes linking me to old posts if this is a beat-on-topic). Thanks a lot.

Chaseyourflush

ActionMatt
06-17-2005, 04:26 AM
I was the same way when i first began playing MTTs. Most poker books will tell you that the perfect time to build your stack is right before the money. Play comes to a screaching halt and the guy who gets in there raising pots and stealing the blinds is usually the one that goes on far into the tournament. Just play position poker and stay aggressive and i think you will find yourself getting a lot deeper into some MTTs.