PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze play difficult to use on strong players?

LLKOOLK1
06-17-2005, 03:06 AM
I played tonight in a live MTT and tried to implement the squeeze play, which I have used before but HOH2 has given a name to, and I was called by a strong player who made the initial raise. He later told me that he had no hand and knew that i was making a resteal play.( this player is a friend of mine and was defintly being truthful, but could have made this call because he knew i was capable of making aplay like this)
I think that this squeeze may work for weaker players but often a strong player will see through it, which would make a case for doing this with stronger holdings, in case you are looked up by an intial raiser.
Late at the final table, I was faced with a simialr situation with the sam initial raiser, but this time I woke up with AA and pushed all in over his raise and the call of the player in between us. He called me with KJ, and I took the pot down.
This play is what prompted him to tell me that he knew i had no hand the last timeand thought the same this time. Which makes me wonder if this play is better suited to be used with strong hands, if the players who you are using it on are strong enough to know that you are making such a play?...I guess thats just simply a reraise, but you know what i meen

Lloyd
06-17-2005, 03:36 AM
It's a steal attempt - period. If you've got a strong hand that's a re-raise. To utilize it, you need an initial raise by someone who is aggressive and often makes a play at the blinds and could therefore be raising with a large range of hands. And you need a caller who also knows this and undertands that he doesn't necessarily need a great hand to call the initial raise. I don't think the word "strong" is useful here. I'd use "aggressive".

LLKOOLK1
06-17-2005, 04:07 AM
i understand the concept, what i meen by a "strong" player is someone who was originally making an agressive move, but is "strong" enough to realize that his bet plus the call, is a good chance for me to move in on a steal. Someone who is a strong enough player with a solid read on me, that understands that i am putting a squeeze play on him. Which is exactly the case that i am speaking of here. Initial aggressive player raised, smart/solid player makes a call, and i come in on a squezze. Original raiser calls my raise, and caller folds. Later on he informs me that the play seemed like a steal, and he knew the play was being made with a extremly weak holding.

Lloyd
06-17-2005, 05:08 AM
You're thinking too much - if that's possible in poker.

ismisus
06-17-2005, 05:18 AM
This play is impossible to use on weak players. If they are not laying KJ down, then I don't think you have much room for bluffing. I know these players all too well, they never believe anyone, and they always "know" that you're bluffing. This is why raising with garbage versus these kinds of players is EV negative.

Myst
06-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Yeah squeeze plays only work if you got two players who can raise and call with marginal hands AND lay them down.

hurlyburly
06-17-2005, 12:37 PM
I think this proves what a valuable play this is. Even though it failed the first time, it was good advertising. He remembered your bluff instead of your normal raising patterns because it stood out.

A_PLUS
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. He called me with KJ, and I took the pot down.
This play is what prompted him to tell me that he knew i had no hand the last timeand thought the same this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say 'strong player', I say 'Call station'.

Everyone has a buddy who hates to lose to them, and even worse hates to think that you may be bluffing them. We generally call them call-stations. Dont make 'moves' on him. Just value bet him to death.

LLKOOLK1
06-17-2005, 03:51 PM
I agree this looks as though its a terrible call, but like I said, I spokme to him later and he was acting on the fact he thought I was making a squeeze play on him with little or no hand. Should he have have chosen a better hand than KJ to pick me off? Yes. But I think in his mind he was making a really good call on a potential steal, wrong read and bad call, but I do understand his thought process. And that was one of my points, that a player who understands that you are putting a squeeze play on, may be more likely to call that steal with his initially weak holdings. And if this is true can you use this aginst them when you actually have a strong holding, and play it in a similar manner...thanks for the input guys
-LL