PDA

View Full Version : going to london england for 2 day- what to do/see

gamblore99
06-17-2005, 02:33 AM
stopover on my way to south africa. any advice on what to see/do/eat? i don't want to spend lots of money, am up for touristy stuff as well as bars and the like.

Vavavoom
06-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Whats your budget ?
Where u staying in London ?

The once and future king
06-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Dont bother with london, there are much more intresting and more "english" towns a short 20-30 minutes train ride from london.

Make sure you hit the following so you get a real glimpse of english life.

Slough.
Braknell.
Reading.

partygirluk
06-17-2005, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dont bother with london, there are much more intresting and more "english" towns a short 20-30 minutes train ride from london.

Slough.
Braknell.
Reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice picks, but if you only have 2 days you should spend them in Didcott and Yateley.

The once and future king
06-17-2005, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Slough.
Braknell.
Reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice picks, but if you only have 2 days you should spend them in Didcott and Yateley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he should skip the SE and head up to the midlands and hit the Birmingham-Telford conurbation.

partygirluk
06-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Yeah if he gets the chance he should definitely check out Spaghetti Junction which is pretty cool. Which areas of Birmingham would you recommend? Perry Barr and Birchfield are the essentials IMO, but I've always had a soft spot for Tyseley and Yardley.

Rotating Rabbit
06-17-2005, 07:37 AM
The posters above have no clue, or my sarcasm detector needs fine tuning.

In london make sure to visit soho, lots of cool bars there, and covent garden in the daytime; cafe's galore. Maybe get a drink at leicester square, perhaps see a film there; in the evening there is a lot of stuff happening, its a notable pickup spot. If I were you Id see something in a west end theatre too, but thats just me.

spamuell
06-17-2005, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The posters above have no clue, or my sarcasm detector needs fine tuning.

In london make sure to visit soho, lots of cool bars there, and covent garden in the daytime; cafe's galore. Maybe get a drink at leicester square, perhaps see a film there; in the evening there is a lot of stuff happening, its a notable pickup spot. If I were you Id see something in a west end theatre too, but thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just typical tourist rubbish. You are a complete philistine and have no idea what England is.

Leceister square instead of Bracknell? The west end instead of Swindon? Preposterous.

These places are far more exciting than Central London and anyone who tells you otherwise is clueless.

I'd also suggest Grimsby.

Rotating Rabbit
06-17-2005, 07:49 AM
lol stop it already

The once and future king
06-17-2005, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah if he gets the chance he should definitely check out Spaghetti Junction which is pretty cool. Which areas of Birmingham would you recommend? Perry Barr and Birchfield are the essentials IMO, but I've always had a soft spot for Tyseley and Yardley.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the weather is especialy hot and sunny then I strongly recomend a scenic drive along the Birmingham/Telford/Wolverhampton/Coventry M6/M54 heritage trail.

This will reveal England in all its post war/post industrial glory.

partygirluk
06-17-2005, 07:57 AM
"Touristy stuff" is a bit vague. London has so much to do that you will probably need to skip out some pretty cool things, so what do you like most. FWIW Wimbledon starts on Monday so if you around over the next fortnight that would be an option.

Rotating Rabbit
06-17-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Touristy stuff" is a bit vague. London has so much to do that you will probably need to skip out some pretty cool things, so what do you like most. FWIW Wimbledon starts on Monday so if you around over the next fortnight that would be an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wimbledon is a good idea actually. If you turn up at 4pm on a nice day early in the first week you can get a ground pass without too much queueing and a decent evening.

mackthefork
06-17-2005, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd also suggest Grimsby

[/ QUOTE ]

Barrow in Furness was voted worst place in Britain recently, no place like home. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mack

jakethebake
06-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Why are you going to S. Africa?

Malachii
06-17-2005, 08:56 AM
My friend, if you don't want to spend a lot of money, you are going to the wrong city. London is about as expensive as it gets. If you're up for staying at a Hostel, the Generator is pretty cool.