PDA

View Full Version : the math I need to learn for SNGs?

Maulik
06-17-2005, 02:21 AM
what do I need to learn how to calculate so I don't make breach of arbitrage oppurtunities.

johnnybeef
06-17-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what do I need to learn how to calculate so I don't make breach of arbitrage oppurtunities.

[/ QUOTE ]

well it would help to learn english first....how was europe btw?

Maulik
06-17-2005, 08:45 AM
It was good to put away money into my Roth this year. The weeks that I had available from work to take off were in conflict with some family weddings I have to attend. The weddings have been fun nonetheless.

This link provides a better defintion of Arbitrage (wikipedia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage) than I would be able to provide. Regardless, I don't want to miss out on 3:1 oppurtuntities, or things of that nature, not that I would...

keithb
06-17-2005, 09:20 AM
I would revisit your Sklansky to review your pot odds and implied pot odds. Who's Sklansky? Back up and figure it out.

Basically, you want to be pushing your edges because over time it will be of benefit. You'll get your share of suckouts but longer-term the money will come to you.

For example, a guy has four cards to a flush. He's 3-1 to hit it if he sees the turn and river. If you are heads up against him, he's only getting paid 2-1 if you push all in with say, top pair, top kicker. So he should not make the call. Sometimes he will though, and he will hit it.

You got your chips in with the odds in your favor and he sucked out. He wins this time, but you have actually gained over the long term.

GL

zambonidrivr
06-17-2005, 09:24 AM
basic math

Moonsugar
06-17-2005, 09:54 AM
arithmetic

some algebra if you want to get fancy

Crispy86
06-17-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would revisit your Sklansky to review your pot odds and implied pot odds. Who's Sklansky? Back up and figure it out.

Basically, you want to be pushing your edges because over time it will be of benefit. You'll get your share of suckouts but longer-term the money will come to you.

For example, a guy has four cards to a flush. He's 3-1 to hit it if he sees the turn and river. If you are heads up against him, he's only getting paid 2-1 if you push all in with say, top pair, top kicker. So he should not make the call. Sometimes he will though, and he will hit it.

You got your chips in with the odds in your favor and he sucked out. He wins this time, but you have actually gained over the long term.

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

King Yao is good too. His book "Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker" has 60 pages on EV, outs, non-outs, pot odds, and a system for calculating this. There are also numerous examples, and exercises. It's true this book is for limit hold'em, but the aforementioned can apply to any game of course, and much of what he discusses can be adapted to sit and gos as well.

Scuba Chuck
06-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Albert, how is Rio? Are you there permanently, or are you just spending a few months there?