PDA

View Full Version : Know the worst part about summer...

fluxrad
06-17-2005, 01:36 AM
It's [censored] moth season.

I remember when I was a kid, we had a house with a "sun room" in the back patio. It was basically a screened-off part of the patio that existed for no real reason I could see. Maybe it was a place to hang out and not get bothered by mosquitos or something, idunno.

Well that particular year, we had a miller moth invasion in Colorado. I remember walking into a pitch-black sun-room with goggles, a "gator", an army-hat, and two batting gloves equipped with fly swatters. The thing is that the sun-room wasn't dark because it was night out. It was dark because the screen was covered from top to bottom with moths. I'd swat at a patch of the buggers and the room would become thick with literally tens of thousands of frantic insects. I'd wait a while for them to settle back on the screen and then take another whack.

I remember killing moths for hours.

God I [censored] hate moths.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Methinks there are more efficient and effective ways to clear a room of 'tens of thousands' of moths.

Tron
06-17-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Methinks there are more efficient and effective ways to clear a room of 'tens of thousands' of moths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Efficient? Yes. Effective? Yes. Fun? Doubt it.

fluxrad
06-17-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do me a favor. Help me invent a time-travel machine. It will need to be able to travel both forward and backward through the space-time continuum. I would also like to submit a change-request to ensure it has comfortable seats, since most movies have "home brew" time machines with La-Z-Boys and the like.

Once our machine is built, the plan is simple. We will set the dial (yes, I require the destination mechanism be a dial) to 1991 or thereabouts and supply my 10 year old self with the above information.

Please, however, refrain from mentioning what a [censored] idiot I looked like, or how chubby I was "back in the day" lest you create some space-time paradox that subsequently demolishes the self-esteem I have worked ever-so-hard to construct and has, of course, culminated in my posting the plans for a most extraordinary device with which to begin our grand adventure.

To the drawing board!

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do me a favor. Help me invent a time-travel machine. It will need to be able to travel both forward and backward through the space-time continuum. I would also like to submit a change-request to ensure it has comfortable seats, since most movies have "home brew" time machines with La-Z-Boys and the like.

Once our machine is built, the plan is simple. We will set the dial (yes, I require the destination mechanism be a dial) to 1991 or thereabouts and supply my 10 year old self with the above information.

Please, however, refrain from mentioning what a [censored] idiot I looked like, or how chubby I was "back in the day" lest you create some space-time paradox that subsequently demolishes the self-esteem I have worked ever-so-hard to construct and has, of course, culminated in my posting the plans for a most extraordinary device with which to begin our grand adventure.

To the drawing board!

[/ QUOTE ]
It's on. You got room in your garage? I'll need a flux capacitor and several cases of beer. What part of town are you in, anyway?

fluxrad
06-17-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll need a flux capacitor and several cases of beer

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the flux capacitor, but it's currently mounted in the back of a Toyota Prius, so we'll need to find a vehicle that will

A) Travel faster than 88Mph.
B) Accommodate a La-Z-Boy per my requirements above.

BTW - I live in Cheeseman Park...my place should be easy enough to find. Just take a left after you pass all the man whores.

jakethebake
06-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Is this a Denver thing? I mean, sure we get moths, but not like you're talking about? I'm surprised there's that many in a place that gets that cold.

Rotating Rabbit
06-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Send in 30 hornets

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in a place that gets that cold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shhhh... I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Denver doesn't get that cold. When it snows here in the winter, it's usually melted by the next day. We get more days of sunshine than San Diego. There's no humidity and very few mosquitos (you'll probably see a total of about 5-10 all year). There are more bugs in Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin than there are here and those are places that truly do get cold.

jakethebake
06-17-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Denver doesn't get that cold. When it snows here in the winter...

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything's relative. These two statements are totally contradictory to me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brainwalter
06-17-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Denver doesn't get that cold. When it snows here in the winter...

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything's relative. These two statements are totally contradictory to me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

2planka
06-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Ugh... moths. Went to refill the bird feeders the other day and a plague of moths spilled out of the seed bag. Totally gross. My shed is full of the fuckers.

ThisHo
06-17-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shhhh... I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Denver doesn't get that cold. When it snows here in the winter, it's usually melted by the next day. We get more days of sunshine than San Diego. There's no humidity and very few mosquitos (you'll probably see a total of about 5-10 all year). There are more bugs in Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin than there are here and those are places that truly do get cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are not trying to declare Denver's weather to be better than San Diego's weather. Any place that gets any of the following is IMMEDIATELY disqualified from a discussion of better weather than San Diego:
A: more than 0" of snow per year
B: humidity above 75% with temperatures above 85F
C: >60 days with highs below 60F

You're claim that Denver gets more days of sunshine "might" be true because we get "June Gloom" where its hazy/overcast until noon or later, but its still 75F.

San Diego has the BEST weather in the nation, and I think hit has a shot against any other city in the world.

Also... There was a moth on the front door last night when I got home @ 11pm... First one I've seen all year.

ThisHo

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are not trying to declare Denver's weather to be better than San Diego's weather. Any place that gets any of the following is IMMEDIATELY disqualified from a discussion of better weather than San Diego:
A: more than 0" of snow per year
B: humidity above 75% with temperatures above 85F
C: >60 days with highs below 60F

You're claim that Denver gets more days of sunshine "might" be true because we get "June Gloom" where its hazy/overcast until noon or later, but its still 75F.

San Diego has the BEST weather in the nation, and I think hit has a shot against any other city in the world.

Also... There was a moth on the front door last night when I got home @ 11pm... First one I've seen all year.

ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

All I was trying to say is that Denver isn't the frigid, buried-in-the-snow kind of place that a lot of people imagine it to be. I wore shorts and tee-shirts many days in December, January, and February. I was actually kind of disappointed when I spent my first winter here with how little snow we get and how quickly it's gone. I don't know why you people are so afraid of a little bit of snow. It really isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'm not arguing against the weather in San Diego. I've lived there and the weather is nice, if not a little boring. Surely, it's got a great claim as the best, as long as you're on the West side of I-5, or close to it. Once you get away from the ocean, though, it's [censored] desert. No thanks to that. Also, 75 and sunny all the time does sound pretty good at first, but I'd rather at least have some semblance of four seasons. Give me colored trees in the fall with some crisp autumn air and a bit of snow in the winter to have some fun with. There's no way to tell whether it's Christmas time, the 4th of July, Halloween, or Easter weekend in San Diego. That really puts a damper on things. In this respect, I would argue that yes, the weather actually is better in Denver. I'm glad you enjoy the San Diego weather (or lack thereof), though, because you sure are paying out the ass to live in it.

RacersEdge
06-17-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you people are so afraid of a little bit of snow. It really isn't the worst thing in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Denver for a coulpe years, and no, it's not as cold as a winter in the NE, but snow is snow. It's more of a nuisance if anything. If you need snow tires put on, you might only need them 3-4 days - but you have to drive around with those things on for 6 months. The snow does melt - leaving a nice slushy muddy, sandy mix to get around in for a the following week - which is just great on your car.

Not a bitter winter, but a messy winter.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you need snow tires put on, you might only need them 3-4 days - but you have to drive around with those things on for 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no need for snow tires in Denver unless you're driving up into the mountains.

fluxrad
06-17-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

All I was trying to say is that Denver isn't the frigid, buried-in-the-snow kind of place that a lot of people imagine it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Shut the [censored] up.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

All I was trying to say is that Denver isn't the frigid, buried-in-the-snow kind of place that a lot of people imagine it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Shut the [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]
No need to get your panties all up in a twist.

fluxrad
06-17-2005, 01:56 PM
This is how it starts man, someone lets on that we have 300+ days of sunshine, winter isn't all that bad, and there's eye-candy everywhere...and boom you're living next to a Californian, a Texan, and a New Yorker...all driving H2's around Highlands Ranch, buying overpriced sushi at cherry creek, and generally being douchebags in and around the Denver/metro area. Case in point: the housing market. Most first-time buyers my GF and I know are having to move to places like Firestone, or Brighton because prices anywhere near the city are through the roof.

Meh...I'm just pissy because we get too many people that move here but are surprised it's got a small-town feel to it, then they bitch about it and proceed to destroy everything cool about Colorado. In 20 years time, Denver will have changed into just another big city by the mountains, everyone will find somewhere else "hip" to live and I'll be sitting here, pissed off because the people leaving are the ones that [censored] it up to begin with.

So generally, I like to keep how awesome Denver is a secret, lest its awesomeness be destroyed. Then again, in response to one of the other posters, every 7 years or so we do get a miller-moth invasion the likes of which you have never seen.

/end pseudo-native rant.

On second thought...we're going to have a time machine. We can totally change all this. OMG! I'M A [censored] GENIUS!!!! TO THE LA-Z-BOY!!!

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I'm with you. We'll keep it our little secret.

Colorado sucks, people. Nothing to see here. Go on about your daily business.

Bradyams
06-17-2005, 02:09 PM
I remember that year of the moth invasion (I lived in Longmont at the time). That [censored] was whack.

CrazyEyez
06-17-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's [censored] moth season.

I remember when I was a kid, we had a house with a "sun room" in the back patio. It was basically a screened-off part of the patio that existed for no real reason I could see. Maybe it was a place to hang out and not get bothered by mosquitos or something, idunno.

Well that particular year, we had a miller moth invasion in Colorado. I remember walking into a pitch-black sun-room with goggles, a "gator", an army-hat, and two batting gloves equipped with fly swatters. The thing is that the sun-room wasn't dark because it was night out. It was dark because the screen was covered from top to bottom with moths. I'd swat at a patch of the buggers and the room would become thick with literally tens of thousands of frantic insects. I'd wait a while for them to settle back on the screen and then take another whack.

I remember killing moths for hours.

God I [censored] hate moths.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd cut off a finger before going in that room.

sleight
06-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Fluxrad outlined some good points about keeping our little secret quiet. Unfortunately, I think it's a little late to implement the first two rules of fight club, since the aforementioned NECATX SUV invasion has already occured.

Yet no one has brought up the ultimate deal-breaker, which is...

$5 max bet

So please, move to Utah or Wyoming or New Mexico, "we're all stocked up on crazy here already".

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-17-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$5 max bet

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. This blows the biggest blow-balls that have ever been blown.

GMan42
06-17-2005, 08:05 PM
You're all lucky...we have the worst of both worlds here in Northwest NJ. High altitude, lots of lakes...we get pummeled with snow in the winter and swarmed with mosquitoes/moths/gnats/etc. all summer. Plus it's NJ. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif