PDA

View Full Version : Interesting And Troubling Vatican Action

HDPM
01-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Well, most vatican actions are troubling, but this one has broader impact. web page (http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L16342110)

It appears that the old anti-catholic vote could make a come back. People thought JFK might have broken the stereotype/taboo whatever you want to call it. But here, the Pope is calling the shots on our elected politicians. Since I pretty much disagree with anything that comes out of the Vatican, I will have to consider this latest decree. I think it is appropriate to hold these religious beliefs against the Catholic pols if you disagree with the Pope/Vatican. I think they will have to renounce their beliefs if they want votes from some groups for sure. It is now explicit that Catholic pols must obey. They may or may not, but I think it's kind of a Manchurian Candidate type situation. It might only be a matter of time before the church requires Catholic pols to adopt the church's primitive and collectivist economic views too.

IrishHand
01-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Nothing wrong with that Vatican statement - they're just encouraging politicians to be somewhat less hypocritical than they are.

HDPM
01-16-2003, 08:27 PM
I hope you would then urge the Church to be less hypocritical and excommunicate all of those who advocate beliefs contrary to Church doctrine. If the Church excommunicated all those it should under it's own rules, many would leave the religion. But that would hurt their membership numbers and financial viability, particularly in modern countries.

IrishHand
01-16-2003, 10:49 PM
I don't urge them to do much of anything, although I agree with what you wrote. The Pope and I haven't been seeing eye-to-eye since I lost my virginity at 14.