PDA

View Full Version : A KQs hand

istewart
06-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Hey guys,

Tell me if you see anything suspect here. Specifically, the turn raise. Clearly I had to continue, so I wanted to protect my hand. Villain (flop check/3-bettor) had been loose-passive preflop, and not very aggro postflop, so I was fairly sure I was behind often, but not sure he would 3-bet me there.

Stats for you:

UTG is 67/5/1.1.
SB is 50/10/1.5.
Other guy (BB) is very bad, calls down with any two cards. 90/2/.7

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (24 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 28 BB

River call is just for sanity's sake, and because my read on UTG had only been for a few orbits.

Aaron W.
06-17-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

Tell me if you see anything suspect here. Specifically, the turn raise. Clearly I had to continue, so I wanted to protect my hand. Villain (flop check/3-bettor) had been loose-passive preflop, and not very aggro postflop, so I was fairly sure I was behind often, but not sure he would 3-bet me there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Protect what? I don't think you have the best hand after you get check-3-bet by UTG, and he comes out firing on the turn. A set is very likely in this spot. You need the flush, and you need it cheap. Call the turn and hope for the best.

topspin
06-17-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Protect what? I don't think you have the best hand after you get check-3-bet by UTG, and he comes out firing on the turn. A set is very likely in this spot. You need the flush, and you need it cheap. Call the turn and hope for the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. After UTG 3-bet the flop and leads the turn, you're almost definitely behind. Your two pair outs are somewhat suspect, and your flush outs need no protection (and would actually rather the whole field came along, to improve your $$ if you hit).

EDIT: Also note that if you hit two pair, the same card is unlikely to complete any long-shot draws, so raising here doesn't buy any additional outs either.

istewart
06-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. In the heat of it, I think I convinced myself he has 88-TT/A7 here often enough to do it, but this was one of the first times he had woken up big time, and in the face of aggression.